No water or fruits / veggies = tailbone legnth hair ?

doll-baby

I was talking to my co worker today and she was telling me that she does not drink water at all and does not eat fruits or vegetables ( her skin is very very dry and her hands are cracked and bleeding) yet she has tailbone length hair ! (she is Philippino). I was amazed that she was able to grow and maintain such long hair while not maintaining a well balanced diet and drinking only soda pop ! :look: If that was me I would look like the crypt keeper, water is a must . It still amazes me that her hair looks to be in perfect condition and she has a diet of soda pop, meat and rice (her words not mine) :ohwell:

P.S. I just picked up a cosmetic bag full of Joico K-pak hair care products from JCpenny's. It included a 10oz bottle of the reconstruct shampoo and conditioner, a trial size for the deep penetrating reconstructor and intense hydrator and I only paid $ 14.95 for it !

She's a lucky lady!
I wonder what her hair would be like if she were to incorporate more fruit, veggies, and water!

I'm sure her skin is crying for help! I'm with you...I won't be trying this :nono:

Her hands are cracked and bleeding and she still won't drink water??? I don't even understand why she would do to that to herself. :nono: Forget the hair- she will be aging so much faster.

Filipino cuisine is made of rice and meat (fish, pork, chicken) but they also use veggies and fruit in their cooking (coconut, tomatoes, bananas, guava, mangoes) so while she may not actually eat the fruits, she probably consumes them in her food. An example is Pork in Tamarind Soup (Pork Sinigang). It may not look like it has veggies but from the recipe you can see it does: http://www.nibbledish.com/people/irenesezom/recipes/pork-sinigang-philippine-tamarind-soup

The Philippine Islands are divided into three geographic regions; Luzon, Viyasas, and Mindanao. Each region has their own traditional foods. The traditional foods for all the Islands are rice, pork, chicken adobo, pancit (rice noodles), panakbet (mixed vegetables), fish, and lumpia (similar to Chinese egg roll)

Adobo is a method of preparing certain meats such as pork or chicken that have been marinated in vinegar, garlic, soy sauce, bay leaf and ground pepper. Pancit is a pasta made of rice or wheat noodles and is cooked with chicken, shrimp or pork in soy sauce and garlic. Pancit resembles a Chinese chow-mein dish.

Rice is eaten everyday by Filipinos because it is believed to give a person energy. Bagoong (fermented fish) and patis (fish extract) are used as spices daily in food.

Garlic and onions are also used daily because it is believed they thin the blood and lower blood pressure. To treat diarrhea, chewing on guava shoots is recommended.

The Filipino diet is traditionally healthy because their basic staples are vegetables, fruits, and fish.
http://www.hawcc.hawaii.edu/nursing/filip1.htm

Sounds like at least for her, this is genetics at play. I have a good friend (white woman) who is dying of breast cancer, sadly. Despite her illness, her hair is down her back, nearly to her waist. But of course she hardly eats and we have to force her to drink water. Very, very sad. :cry:. But this is genetics. Her mother, sisters, all have long, flowing hair!

it's probably thriving because she doesn't color, relax, or otherwise damage her hair. hair thrives when you don't do anything to it :yep:

but i'ma need for her to drink some water! nobody's skin should be dry and cracking like that.

Hair grows regardless even with the lack of fruits water and veggies doesn't it? All she really need is good retention. I'm not going to be fooled by a lot of these really long hair people who are like Opps I just happen to have long hair. As if they put no effort at all, BS.. their doing stuff to their hair too. May not have an extension regimen but its not all genetics.

Filipino cuisine is made of rice and meat (fish, pork, chicken) but they also use veggies and fruit in their cooking (coconut, tomatoes, bananas, guava, mangoes) so while she may not actually eat the fruits, she probably consumes them in her food. An example is Pork in Tamarind Soup (Pork Sinigang). It may not look like it has veggies but from the recipe you can see it does: http://www.nibbledish.com/pople/irenesezom/recipes/pork-sinigang-philippine-tamarind-soup

http://www.hawcc.hawaii.edu/nursing/filip1.htm

I knew I was spelling Filipino wrong ! :lachen:
She says she picks out veggies and fruits from her food if they are in there already or she won't buy it. I've tried all scenarios of what if the fruit is like this or what if the veggie is covered with this and I guess she just doesn't like them. I've tried to get her to at least drink flavored water but she doesn't like that either ! When I saw her hands today it made me worry about her, she keeps rubbing thick hand lotion on them but she needs H20.

I'd get her on carbonated flavored water. It tastes and acts like soda, but it's water with 0 calories. I think it's great that you're trying to help her too, because I know I would. It's clear that she needs more nutrients if her skin is like that.

But because she's Filipino, she probably grew up eating more nutritious food on top of caring for her hair. Genetics does play a big part, but her hair didn't get like that over night.

She says she picks out veggies and fruits from her food if they are in there already or she won't buy it. I've tried all scenarios of what if the fruit is like this or what if the veggie is covered with this and I guess she just doesn't like them. I've tried to get her to at least drink flavored water but she doesn't like that either ! When I saw her hands today it made me worry about her, she keeps rubbing thick hand lotion on them but she needs H20.

That is unbelievable! :nono:
I can't believe she goes so far to avoid water, fruits and veggies. Granted most of us don't get enough of any of those, but we're usually aware of it and know we should be doing better.
I'd be so freaked out if my skin were in that condition, I'd force myself to drink water even if I hated it (I actually did use to hate it....got goosebumps whenever I drank it)

It doesn't make sense so I doubt her hair is long because of that nonsense. Just because her diet is poor doesn't mean that causes growth. When I was a kid I ate tons of junk and had long hair but that was because I didn't heat style it or shampoo everyday. Plus, I usually wore it in a French braid down my back because it was so thick.

I can only imagine how it'd grow with a healthy diet.

She's still getting the nutrients from those foods. When you boil fruits or veggies, the juice contains most of the nutrients, which is why as much as I don't care for the juice that oozes out of spinach when you steam it, I still keep it coz draining it would be washing away all the goodness and leaving me with very little. So she does get her "veggies and fruits" in liquid form.

She may not be dehydrated necessarily. Their food has a lot of liquid and while people think of pure water as the way to get water in your system, there have been reports that say that the rule that you need 8 glasses of water a day does not mean pure H20 but that you get water from other foods too. So she gets liquid from her diet in one way or another. If she were really dehydrated the way she'd have you believe, she'd have to be hospitalized. Dehydration doesn't stop at dry cracked skin. Weakness, headaches, chills, tingling at the limbs, muscle cramps, fatigue are all signs of true dehydration. So trust me, she'd not be looking and acting normal if she was truly dehydrated.

Her hands being dry could be due to a condition my neighbor has where he has to get prescription cream for his hands. They dry and crack and he drinks water more than I do. The cream he uses for his hands, besides the prescription one, is one made for cracked heals. His hands hurt and burn so bad from the cracking and will bleed if he doesn't use his cream. It's not due to dehydration coz dude eats everything his wife cooks...and boy can she cook, and healthily at that. Every food I've eaten at their place has been balanced (carbs, protein, veggies and fruit). I did a Google search for dry cracked hands and found many people have this problem and it's not because they don't drink water.

So my conclusion is chick had good genes, eats healthily even though she thinks she doesn't, and just has a condition that causes her hands to crack and bleed. Here is a discussion on this condition:
http://www.steadyhealth.com/Cracked_bleeding_hands_t108877.html

And here are reviews of people with the issue who found relief in the product advertised. From their testimonies, you can tell that this isn't something brought on by not drinking water: http://www.glovesinabottle.com/dry-cracked-skin.html

Last edited:
She's still getting the nutrients from those foods. When you boil fruits or veggies, the juice contains most of the nutrients, which is why as much as I don't care for the juice that oozes out of spinach when you steam it, I still keep it coz draining it would be washing away all the goodness and leaving me with very little. So she does get her "veggies and fruits" in liquid form.

She may not be dehydrated necessarily. Their food has a lot of liquid and while people think of pure water as the way to get water in your system, there have been reports that say that the rule that you need 8 glasses of water a day does not mean pure H20 but that you get water from other foods too. So she gets liquid from her diet in one way or another. If she were really dehydrated the way she'd have you believe, she'd have to be hospitalized. Dehydration doesn't stop at dry cracked skin. Weakness, headaches, chills, tingling at the limbs, muscle cramps, fatigue are all signs of true dehydration. So trust me, she'd not be looking and acting normal if she was truly dehydrated.

Her hands being dry could be due to a condition my neighbor has where he has to get prescription cream for his hands. They dry and crack and he drinks water more than I do. The cream he uses for his hands, besides the prescription one, is one made for cracked heals. His hands hurt and burn so bad from the cracking and will bleed if he doesn't use his cream. It's not due to dehydration coz dude eats everything his wife cooks...and boy can she cook, and healthily at that. Every food I've eaten at their place has been balanced (carbs, protein, veggies and fruit). I did a Google search for dry cracked hands and found many people have this problem and it's not because they don't drink water.

So my conclusion is chick had good genes, eats healthily even though she thinks she doesn't, and just has a condition that causes her hands to crack and bleed. Here is a discussion on this condition:
http://www.steadyhealth.com/Cracked_bleeding_hands_t108877.html

And here are reviews of people with the issue who found relief in the product advertised. From their testimonies, you can tell that this isn't something brought on by not drinking water: http://www.glovesinabottle.com/dry-cracked-skin.html

I never got into an in-depth conversation with her about her cooking habits (outside of her only eating white rice and various meats). But she has brought me egg-rolls that she made and they are very good. :grin:
She does color her hair and keeps it in a claw clip for half the week the other half she wears it down.
As far as her hands are concerned she normally wears a band that covers her palms and knuckles (kind of like gloves with the fingers cut off) to keep her hands moisturized while she works. Yesterday she forgot them and that is when I saw they where cracked and bleeding. She attributes it to not drinking water and she goes to a dermatologist as well ( he prescribes the lotion she uses).
She's pretty stubborn and set in her ways, If she's not willing to at least drink carbonated water then I'll just leave her be :ohwell:

I never got into an in-depth conversation with her about her cooking habits (outside of her only eating white rice and various meats). But she has brought me egg-rolls that she made and they are very good. :grin:
She does color her hair and keeps it in a claw clip for half the week the other half she wears it down.
As far as her hands are concerned she normally wears a band that covers her palms and knuckles (kind of like gloves with the fingers cut off) to keep her hands moisturized while she works. Yesterday she forgot them and that is when I saw they where cracked and bleeding. She attributes it to not drinking water and she goes to a dermatologist as well ( he prescribes the lotion she uses).
She's pretty stubborn and set in her ways, If she's not willing to at least drink carbonated water then I'll just leave her be :ohwell:

If her condition needs medication, just like my neighbor's, drinking water will not change things. As I said, I don't believe she's dehydrated at all.

I know genetics isn't everything, but it does make a BIG difference.

My BFF is half Filipino, half black. We grew up together, spent a lot of time around her family. All, and I mean all, of the women had beautiful waist length hair, including my BFF. She BCed back in the 90's when no one was BCing and passed me right back up. I used to spend time at her house eating with them so I could grow hair like theirs too! And trust me, they were not concerned with fruit, veggies, or water. Their traditional Filipino dishes did contain nutritions ingredients, but they did not eat like that everyday, and I do believe my friend lived on juice and pop instead of water.

So although a healthy diet will contribute to faster healthier hair growth, their strong Asian hair just retains better therefore grows longer with ease. It may be dull and dry looking sometimes, but long nonetheless

I don't know. Either way it freaked me out when she showed me her hands. We deal with touching money and strangers hands with our transactions and she can get a really bad infection from those open cuts, somethings gotta give just for her health's sake.

I don't know. Either way it freaked me out when she showed me her hands. We deal with touching money and strangers hands with our transactions and she can get a really bad infection from those open cuts, somethings gotta give just for her health's sake.

When I worked at the bank, I wore rubber gloves (like in a First-Aid kit). I initially did it because it helped me separate new bills with ease when I was counting fast. But when I saw how black the gloves would get within an hour that I'd need to change them, I made it a rule to never work without them. I remember customers admiring my "sanitary habits" was another reason I kept them on; gotta keep the street cred I had acquired. :giggle:

Maybe she should do that too.

Well I don't want to have long hair and crackling, bleeding skin so I'll keep eating my veggies and drink water too :D

My skin is as important to me as my hair...

There is such a thing as genetics, folks.

Some of us can eat all the veggies and fruits and drink all the water we can stomach, yet we may not get to be tailbone or it may take us 20 years, whereas some other folks can achieve it easily without doing anything special.

That doesn't mean we should give up and not do anything. Learn to work with your own genes to maximize your potential.

Back