NO SALON CHALLENGE! anyone wanna join me?

meia

hey ya'll!

after reading so many posts about bad salon experiences and recently encountering a bad experience of my own (having a few inches hacked off by some pompous, rich, well-to-do, bastard) im fed up of getting my damn hair done and having all my progress knocked to the ground. Im sick of working hard to take care of my hair so somebody can screw up all the ground i've made. Its frustrating, disheartening, and WONT allow me to hit my waistlength goal in a year. I dont want to give up on taking care of my hair, no, but i think its time for us ladies to take control of our hair. learn how to cope with it and stay away from people who claim to "mean well" but knock our progress down..

im thinkin that this is why people think black women cant grow hair..because all the time somebodys trying to cut our beautiful long flowing locks against our protest. ive literally had to fight with stylists in the past almost coming to blows with a few of them because they are fighting me on what they tell me is "dead ends" when in actuality, your hair IS dead..its horribly frustrating..

im not sure if a challenge like this exists, but is anybody up for this challenge?

Hey I already decide to do this with my last relaxer. I haven't done a relaxer in 3 years but I decided to do my own relaxer 2 weeks ago. I don't plan to visit the salon for the 6 to 7 months. I figure only way I can make sure that my hair progress and thrive is to do it myself.

Liz25_Ga said:
Hey I already decide to do this with my last relaxer. I haven't done a relaxer in 3 years but I decided to do my own relaxer 2 weeks ago. I don't plan to visit the salon for the 6 to 7 months. I figure only way I can make sure that my hair progress and thrive is to do it myself.

really? i decided after my last supposed wash, trim, and set (altho he was too lazy to put curlers in..her used a damn flat iron to curly my hair in these big loopy 50's housewife curls!!)...im figuring the same thing girl..im not trying to lose anymore inches- im transitioning..if i wanted to lose anymore inches now id just do the bc and get it over with..thats whats so damn ridiculous!! so you def. in girl? i hope so!!

I've been doing this for the past 2 years and didn't even see it as a challenge. But this is a good reminder not to go to the salons especially if I want my hair to grow even longer. I just can't take the risk, there should be an exception though and that's if you have an amazing stylist that you can trust , then your okay to go. But for me I have not yet found one and can't afford to risk any experimenting now :nono:

meia said:
really? i decided after my last supposed wash, trim, and set (altho he was too lazy to put curlers in..her used a damn flat iron to curly my hair in these big loopy 50's housewife curls!!)...im figuring the same thing girl..im not trying to lose anymore inches- im transitioning..if i wanted to lose anymore inches now id just do the bc and get it over with..thats whats so damn ridiculous!! so you def. in girl? i hope so!!
I'm in on this challenge. How long will the challenge last?

Yes girl,

It's on and poppin! I am on a super grow out challenge, and when my hair makes it to the place I want it (arm pit) I'm going to go to my stylist to have her wash and flat iron, just to show her how healthy and long I've gotten my hair without her help! I can't wait to see the look on her face when she sees my thick long hair! I'm sure she'll say "what have you been doing?' I'll say, "nothing that I use to do"! I know she'll be amazed, "for some reason stylist feel they can do your hair better than you can!" I'll show her how good I can do without her in my head every month cutting and coloring and relaxing and using that heat iron! Plus, I can save my $30 dollars a week and my gas money driving 15 minutes to have her tear my hair out!

I've been doing this for over a year, and before that I went about 2-3 times a year for a trim/cut only, it's a challenge for me to go to one to be honest.

meia said:
hey ya'll!

after reading so many posts about bad salon experiences and recently encountering a bad experience of my own (having a few inches hacked off by some pompous, rich, well-to-do, bastard) im fed up of getting my damn hair done and having all my progress knocked to the ground. Im sick of working hard to take care of my hair so somebody can screw up all the ground i've made. Its frustrating, disheartening, and WONT allow me to hit my waistlength goal in a year. I dont want to give up on taking care of my hair, no, but i think its time for us ladies to take control of our hair. learn how to cope with it and stay away from people who claim to "mean well" but knock our progress down..

im thinkin that this is why people think black women cant grow hair..because all the time somebodys trying to cut our beautiful long flowing locks against our protest. ive literally had to fight with stylists in the past almost coming to blows with a few of them because they are fighting me on what they tell me is "dead ends" when in actuality, your hair IS dead..its horribly frustrating..

im not sure if a challenge like this exists, but is anybody up for this challenge?

I'm in. My mother never goes to the stylist and grew her hair down her back a few times over. My mother told me last night after hearing about my latest hair horror she never lets anyone take a scissor to her head. It's a stylist trick to keep you coming back...forget that...twists until I grow it back in 4 months and then whatever type of protective style until then...

I'm so in this. When I got my virgin relaxer done in April I thought I had found a good stylist. She applied the relaxer well, washed well, combed well. When I said "no cut" she made me repeat myself:perplexed Then she starts in about dead ends, hair splitting up the shaft. My answer "no cut". Then she starts combing so roughly she combing my shoulders:mad:

I have since given myself 3 touchups "no cut". I want to be on this challenge for 3 years!!!

I have found an amazing stylist, but I feel more and more dependant on her to style my hair vs. myself. I love taking the time with my hair. I have become so spoiled by my hairdresser I airdried my hair in the morning and by the afternoon I was on her line. I'm addicted

Count me in, guys! I haven't been to a salon since May and I can actually see some progress. I'm tired of these stylists trying to cut instead of trim, and combing the relaxer through the new growth:eek: !

Don't have to tell me twice - I'm so in! This will be scary because it will be the first time in almost 10 years that I haven't had my hair "did" by someone.

New Year = No Salons! :dance7:

count me in--went to get a trim yesterday--all my year's progress was hacked off. And she gave me a jacked up hair cut to boot. No more!!!!!!

I told her I'm trying to grow my hair out for a change---she's like your hair need a shape.

Personally, I think she forgot what she was doing. There was champagne and goodies so maybe she had a sip to many--but my hair is totally messed up.

I normally don't wear my in a straight style--I wear it "natural" (although I'm not completely natural yet). But I like to change it up a bit so I thought I would get a shampoo blow dry curl. (she can get it straight without flat ironing or pressing)
so she cuts--I didn't see much hair on the floor so...but when I looked in the mirror it was all gone--and a not so good hair cut. I'm very disappointed. This salon has sistas of all hair lenghts, textures--alll beautiful whether wearing natural or straight styles. My hair looked like crap.
It's raining so I know my hair will frizz--but my mom examined my hair and noticed that the cut was uneven--parts were not even cut--

So, I will either start over by getting a cute cut in a short bob--or let it grow out w/o the intervention of hair stylists.

If it was a cute style I wouldn't feel so bad...

Last edited:
I'm in on this. I need to learn how to do my hair myself. I might as well learn now. :)

I'm tired of having to tell folks not to trim my hair. I was going to let my stylist know that I'll be trimming my own hair from now on so she doesn't even bother to ask, but I don't want to deal with that at all. I'll learn to do it all myself. I'll save some money too.

I would looooove to join this challenge, especially since I only go to the salon 3 or 4 times a year..for a relaxer. But, I HAVE to go for the relaxer, there is no way I'd attempt to tackle 3+ months worth of new growth without professional help. I go to Vidal Sassoon and they give the best relaxers I've ever had! No burns, no overlapping, no 5 hour salon visits! They also give bomb haircuts, but I'm trying to stop getting haircuts so I can see what long hair is all about.

Good luck ladies! I'm in your corner.

PerfectDoak said:
1989! Wow!
Yeah...the day of my high school graduation pics went to a shop, told the lady that she couldn't usen really high heat or hair spray in my hair. She used both, singed it at the scalp to wehre it was blonde and burnt, fell out while I was trying to fix it at the photo studio.....that was it...never again. I learned how to do it MYSELF!

I'm in until May 6th (my birthday yayyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!). I'll be in the salon getting some color for my hair and that's about it!

Count me in on this!
The last time I went to a salon was in June. I don't plan on going back until the "Allstar" games in Vegas which isn't until February.

Count me in !!! Definitely fed up with incompetent hair stylists !!!
Do we choose how long the challenge is going to last for us?

luvlonghair said:
Dang, ya'll make me feel bad being a stylist. I know ya'll not referencing me:look:
For real, girl! :ohwell: Thank goodness we're some of the good ones, and that not everyone feels this way. Hair is my passion and how I choose to earn my living.

Im in also. I have not been to a salon in over a year and dont plan on going back. Last time I went I made her cut off all the highlights she put in on my already damaged hair. That made her happy. But now I am happy.:grin:

I am going to give this a try. I washed my hair for the first time in 2 years tonight and the rollerset is disastrous. But I know with practice it will get better. I don't know about for my relaxers though. I am definitely gonna try this challenge

Back