No-Oil Routine but Hot Oil Treatments?

PaperClip

I saw this question somewhere in another thread but didn't see a definitive answer.... If one is on a no-oil routine, why do hot oil treatments? I finally get it that oil does not moisturize, it seals in those elements that do moisturize the hair, primarily water. So if one does a hot oil treatment before shampooing (or anytime), what's the point? It would seem that the oil would seal in or block moisture from getting into the hair, regardless of the oil's temperature.

Thank you for helping me think this out.

Yea the couple of times that I did a hot oil treatment my hair did not respond well at all. Some people have said that the hot oil bonds to weak spots in the hair shaft or cuticle, but even that does not seem like a completely plausible answer. I have had much better results now that I use a protein treatment as a pre-poo. I mix some ORS Mayo with a little cheapie conditioner and some Sweet Almond Oil for slip and my hair has been loving it, I will never pre-poo any other way.

hmm...I have been wondering about how effective hot oil treatments are...I have been doing some homemade ones as a pre-poo but I am not that impressed...I think I may try the Burts Bees Avocado pre poo treatment this weekend and see how it goes...

I hope you find the answer though....I want to know too

In my opinion oil doesn't moisturize but it does lubricate. and by lubing, you are preventing dry brittle breaking ends. It works well for my hair...anytime i am getting alot of breakage, if it isnt wash day, i will apply UBC dew for moisture and apply alot of oil to lube and wear a ponytail.

Back