If Oil "Doesn't Moisturize" Then WHY do we do HOT oil treatments?

ITA.

Hot oil treatments work on the cuticles. They soften and make the outer layers of the hair pliable. They also impart a shine to the surface. Those things are nourishing to the hair-- but not moisturizing. "Moisturizing" = Hydrating and hydration is only a property of water. Hot oil treatments are basically temporary softening, smoothing, shine boosting treatments.

Deep conditioning (using a waterbased conditioner product with quarternized and hydrolized proteins and humectants + heat) will help bring moisture deeper within the strand which is why this process is much superior to hot oil treatments. Deep conditioning helps replace key ingredients and addresses the actual moisture aspect of all of this. Hair rarely thrives without regular deep conditioning, but you could go an entire lifetime without ever doing a hot oil treatment. They aren't necessary for hair health, but they are nice cosmetic treatments.

Hey Sistaslick!!!! Glad you came into drop the knowledge. You are like the guardian angel of hair science:yep:

We know. :lachen:
For real. :lachen: You were the first person I'd ever heard of doing an "oil wash" and you stay with a buttered braid. :giggle: When I think of oils and butters, its you man... its you. :lachen:

:kiss: Gym!!!

I am glad to see you around though. I have missed you. I got questions that need answers! :lol:

We know. :lachen:
For real. :lachen: You were the first person I'd ever heard of doing an "oil wash" and you stay with a buttered braid. :giggle: When I think of oils and butters, its you man... its you. :lachen:

:kiss: Gym!!!

ahhh the oil wash, glorious it tis! Yeah I got buttered and oiledl hair on the regular , your right mama!

hehe@ u thinkin of me when you think of oils and butters, I think alot of people do going from way back

Last edited:
Now that's interesting. So what is in it? :look:

<H1 class=heading2 style="MARGIN: 0px">Alberto VO5 Moisturizing Hot Oil </H1>

Ingredients

Water - Aqua , Cocotrimonium Chloride , Acetamide MEA , Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice , Hydroxyethylcellulose , PEI-1750 , Oleth-20 , Propylene Glycol , Methylparaben , Disodium EDTA , Polyquaternium-10 , Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein , Hydrolyzed Soy Protein/Vegetable Amino Acids/Lysin , Phytantriol , Polysorbate 20 , Keratin Amino Acids , Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol , Tocopheryl Acetate , Panthenol , Ascorbic Acid , Niacinamide , Biotin , Fragrance - Parfum , Linalool , Benzyl Salicylate , Yellow 6 - CI 15985

Back