No Oil- Am I Missing Something??

Sade'

Ok I did my protective style at the end of 2009, I was in the challenge. I did the wet bunning style. It really helped my hair grow.

NOW I wear my hair down most of the time. I do not put ANY oil on my hair b/c I feel like it will compromise the bouncy effect that I am trying to achieve. I hate sticky hair but I also hate dry hair.

Day one my hair looks great, nice full and shiny. On day two it still looks nice but by day 3 or 4 it becomes flat dull & lifeless, brittle and dry. U can even see the little broken pieces.

SO my obvious question is SHOULD I be using oils on my hair daily? Or only when I wash and blow dry? Could this be the reason why I have issues with length retention? :sad: Should I apply the oil to my scalp and length of my hair or just the ends? Should I apply the oil when my hair is wet or dry?
UGHHHH I feel so dumb :wallbash:

What do you ladies do?? I want shine luster length and bounce.
:rolleyes:

I'm the same way girl. I love soft swinging hair that moves in the wind. Do you moisturize daily? Oil does help with sealing, but if you don't like it I don't think it's the end of the world.

However, this (former) oil-free girl is LOVING me some coconut oil. It's light and absorbs well.

I think if you stay on top of moisturizing daily, you may not have to worry about oiling too much if you don't want to.

See there is my confusion Barbie83...what is moisturizing? I don't put ANYTHING on my hair. What do u use/suggest as a moisturizer? I thought oiling ur hair was the same as moisturizing.

Where's my notebook...looks like I need to jot some notes down. I'm a pupil again...

I try to stay away from oils that make my hair look greasy. I find that jojoba and avocado oils absorb into my hair very well. They make my hair look shiny and don't weigh it down. I don't use castor by itself to dry, straight hair because (for myself) it makes my hair look greasy.

You can also try shea butter if you don't want an oil. If your hair looks brittle and dry on the 3-4th day maybe you should consider applying the oil to your hair at night so it won't look greasy in the morning. Are you protective styling at night? I find that if I don't wear my hair in a bun and/or put on a satin cap at night my hairstyle won't last.

See there is my confusion Barbie83...what is moisturizing? I don't put ANYTHING on my hair. What do u use/suggest as a moisturizer? I thought oiling ur hair was the same as moisturizing.

Where's my notebook...looks like I need to jot some notes down. I'm a pupil again...

People tend to go back and forth on whether oils moisturize the hair. I really don't know, but I find that if I apply some oil to my ends my hair looks nice.

I think I'm part of the "water is moisture" camp. Any product that is water-based and labeled as a moisturizer. Once your hair is moisturized, most people like to seal the moisture in with an oil. But in my experience, this is totally optional, and just helps keep the moisture in longer.

If you're having problems with retention, I think you should definitely look into a daily moisturizer. I personally like Elasta QP Mango Butter and Hairveda Whipped Cream. I put it on before wrapping at night and they are both light and do NOT weigh my hair down at all.

I like to use a serum or coconut oil to seal in my moisturizer if I'm wearing my hair down.

I use a light spray like John frieda or a light cream like Herbal Essence LTR or John Frieda cream to moisturize. Anything else is too heavy.

I try to stay away from oils that make my hair look greasy. I find that jojoba and avocado oils absorb into my hair very well. They make my hair look shiny and don't weigh it down. I don't use castor by itself to dry, straight hair because (for myself) it makes my hair look greasy.

You can also try shea butter if you don't want an oil. If your hair looks brittle and dry on the 3-4th day maybe you should consider applying the oil to your hair at night so it won't look greasy in the morning. Are you protective styling at night? I find that if I don't wear my hair in a bun and/or put on a satin cap at night my hairstyle won't last.

Thanks. Yes I protective style EVERY night. I wrap my hair and tie it down with a satin scarf. Perhaps I need to change the direction of my wrap b/c one side is weaker than the other.

I like to use a serum or coconut oil to seal in my moisturizer if I'm wearing my hair down.

I use a light spray like John frieda or a light cream like Herbal Essence LTR or John Frieda cream to moisturize. Anything else is too heavy.

Ok thanks ceebee23. Perhaps that's why my hair remains thin and lightweight. Then on top of that any product weighs it down so it looks even thinner. So maybe if I begin to moisturize and seal more, it will grow better and thicken up and be able to absorb the oils better.

I know exactly what you mean - I love the soft bounce of freshly done hair. When I get my hair pressed I use biosilk silk therapy to keep it silky throughout the week. I probably only use it every other day though. It keeps the hair soft without making it greasy and sticky or stiff.

I think I'm part of the "water is moisture" camp. Any product that is water-based and labeled as a moisturizer. Once your hair is moisturized, most people like to seal the moisture in with an oil. But in my experience, this is totally optional, and just helps keep the moisture in longer.

If you're having problems with retention, I think you should definitely look into a daily moisturizer. I personally like Elasta QP Mango Butter and Hairveda Whipped Cream. I put it on before wrapping at night and they are both light and do NOT weigh my hair down at all.

Good idea, putting on at night, thanks Barbie! Off to the CVS I go ISO a good moisturizer. I will sacrifice my SUPER dry bouncy hair for a more lustrous head of hair.

The rule for my hair is if an oil absorbs into my strands, then it's a moisturizing oil...if it coats my hair strand, then it's a sealant oil. Light oils tend to do better for moisturizing like coconut, EVOO, Emu and Amla. Heavy oils like castor, avocado, and infamous mineral oil usually coat the hair and work better as a sealant. That's JMHO with my hair experience so it doesn't pertain to everyone. I've heard of some members using mineral oil on a regular basis and they have beautiful heads of hair :look:

I know exactly what you mean - I love the soft bounce of freshly done hair. When I get my hair pressed I use biosilk silk therapy to keep it silky throughout the week. I probably only use it every other day though. It keeps the hair soft without making it greasy and sticky or stiff.

Something in Biosilk dries my hair out. I need to check the ingredients again.

The rule for my hair is if an oil absorbs into my strands, then it's a moisturizing oil...if it coats my hair strand, then it's a sealant oil. Light oils tend to do better for moisturizing like coconut, EVOO, Emu and Amla. Heavy oils like castor, avocado, and infamous mineral oil usually coat the hair and work better as a sealant. That's JMHO with my hair experience so it doesn't pertain to everyone. I've heard of some members using mineral oil on a regular basis and they have beautiful heads of hair :look:

Thanks lovenharmony.

Also remember when you moisturize a little goes a loooong way. If you use too much it will weigh your hair down. I like Neutrogena Triple Moisture Silk Touch leave in cream and KeraCare conditioning creme hairdress. Sometimes I seal with a little oil, but most times I don't. Moisturizing daily, sometimes twice a day keeps my ends from breaking and my hair soft.

I don't know, are you missing something? You tell us,
But using oil doesn't mean you have to use it when your hair is dry. People mix oils into their deep conditioners, they do hot oil treatments with it, they do pre-shampoo treatments with it, etc. Maybe you could use an oil in this way...

I don't use oils daily, nor do I moisturize and seal daily. I do that about once between wash days. I use a very light serum on the occasion that I do need a pick me up, I use the Jane Carter Hair Nourishing Serum. I only use oils on air drying and prepoos. I guess its just personal preference and trial and error.

I put Emu Oil in my hair for the first time in 8 months this morning and My hair is absolutely loving it, and so is my scalp.

I think using it lightly is the key! it will keep the swang just don't over power it!

Ahh, you sound so much like I did a year ago. I have babyfine relaxed hair and I put nothing in it because I liked my swing and bounce. If it got dry I just washed it again. I washed about every 3 days. I never got to shoulder length doing that.

A year later I have experimented with all kind of different oils and oil blends. As the others have stated coconut oil is super nourishing and super light. But almond and jojoba will preserve your bounce as well. I am an oil convert, and I am now below CBL for the first time ever.

Silicones will preserve your bounce too, but they will dry your hair out something fierce with long term use.

Ahh, you sound so much like I did a year ago. I have babyfine relaxed hair and I put nothing in it because I liked my swing and bounce. If it got dry I just washed it again. I washed about every 3 days. I never got to shoulder length doing that.

A year later I have experimented with all kind of different oils and oil blends. As the others have stated coconut oil is super nourishing and super light. But almond and jojoba will preserve your bounce as well. I am an oil convert, and I am now below CBL for the first time ever.

Silicones will preserve your bounce too, but they will dry your hair out something fierce with long term use.

Thanks Laidbak...what is CBL?

Thanks Ladies! I can see clearly now. I am going to try Mizani Nighttime H2O Treatment.

Oh lord. I didn't read the bottle for the Mizani and it is loaded with mineral and petro. oil. I could scream! Has anyone used it?:wallbash:

Collarbone length

Thanks! Duh...I tried so hard to figure it out.

I have, it was too heavy for me. I gave it away.

I used it last night and I was NOT impressed with the way it made my hair feel PLUS it stinks. It smells like some old school Posner or Bergamont On to the next one...:ohwell:

When I wear my hair straight I use unrefined coconut oil and it doesn't affect the bouncy-ness or the salon quality straightening. I focus on my ends with the coconut oil and only use a little every other day or every 3 days depending on my hair's needs.

ETA: When I want to add "moisture" to my hair; I do so in the deep conditioner step before I have it straightened. For me I use a good deep conditioner and sit under my hair steamer for 20-30 mins weekly, so moisture while it's straightened is never a problem; but the coconut oil keeps it look silky, shiny, and bouncy until shampoo day rolls around again.

Last edited:
When I wear my hair straight I use unrefined coconut oil and it doesn't affect the bouncy-ness or the salon quality straightening. I focus on my ends with the coconut oil and only use a little every other day or every 3 days depending on my hair's needs.

Thanks FAMUDiva. Where can I get this unrefined coco oil?

I use Neutrogena Leave in and or a dime size amount of B&B Oil Moisturizer by day 3 after my wash. Then the next day in the morning I usually add Oil for Sheen. I use Wonder 8 Oil or Jojoba or Vitamin E on the ends only. I use just a little bit of oil for my almost BSL (Bra Strap Length Hair).

For thickness - this is my secret...I used to be fully relaxed with THIN hair, I went natural and had SUPER THICK hair...years and years later I texlaxed and have PERFECTLY THICK LONG HEALTHY hair....so LHCF helped me by introducing me to texlaxing and stretching my relaxers to the 12th week. Low maintainance, meaning finger combing, buns (if I wait two weeks to wash, the second week my hair is usually in a bun), rollers instead of curling irons and planning ahead for the health of my hair.

I had never made it paste Collar bone length before LHCF. Now I have the longest hair of my life. :yep:

Back