No more straightening... alternatives?!

lu123

Hello ladies,

Sorry it has been a while! I've been super duper busy with lots of studying and a rather hectic work load. Never mind though, I am back now. :yep:

I was just wondering about something and I thought that you might be able to point me in the right direction........ HAIR STRAIGHTENING.

I am not a girl who straightens her hair everyday. During the week and most weekends, I wear my hair natural and let the curls just run loose.

However, sometimes when I am having a big night out with my friends or I just fancy a change, I will blowdry my hair with a paddle brush and then straighten my hair with the straighteners (flat irons) after applying some heat protectant. I may sometimes use curling tongs on it if I want to achieve a 'wavy' look. I would probably do this once a month or so.

This being said, I have been reading through some posts and I know that straightening your hair can prevent it from growing to it's full potential and can lead to a great deal of damage.

In the new regime which I plan on starting (I am still researching and working out what will be best for my hair type), I really want to cut out straightening my hair with the flat irons and I was wondered whether you knew of any alternatives which I could try instead that will provide similar results.

I thought perhaps getting a sew in weave from time to time because the hair would be protected underneath in the cornrows?!

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

If your open to false hair consider wigs, they are great for changing up your look and still getting those straight/ wavy looks. Another option is to roller set your hair, or the cheat method I use a lot is an updo with a straight bang or something so it appears my whole head has been straightened

LOL!!! ...i know......:grin:. Thanks, i feel missed now, i thought i was forgotten about :look:.

Today I found a way to chat with yall without my boss seeing me.:lol:

after that dance off you wil never be forgotten on LHCF :lachen:
ETA...you know hair updates are expected missy! :yep:

Wanted to throw in a suggestion for Curlformers although you will need a few packs for curls that have wide don't gaps between them. Also I've not yet figured out how to separate them without ends frizzing up...so you may still want to do a pinned updo. When I did them, I had to go to work with them "un-separated" looking like I just took rollers out and then forgot to do my hair... :nuts: because they frizzed up when I tried to separate them:
CurlformersFirstAttempt-vi.jpg

Another attempt at separating them gave a different look from what I was going for...but I did decide that if that's the look I will end up with, I'll just work it and make believe it was my goal. :giggle:
kConditionerRightsideCastorOil-vi.jpg

Both those^^ curls were done w/o heat. Just CFs on wet hair. Also I didn't use a product. I've tried with a few products but they didn't make a difference. But I haven't given up. Just haven't had time to experiment more.

On my hair braid and twist outs does temporary relax my curl pattern. The longer my hair is in a braid or twist out, the more stretched it is. Retwisting each night (about 4-6 twists) with a leave in and sealing with oil does it for me. No heat.

021-vi.jpg

Its not straight, but the curls are loosened until wash day.

Bantu knots works for some people too. Since my hair is naturally looser in the front, I've used bantu knots (mostly to sleep in) and it almost straightened my hair completely in the front. I usually have to spray water to get the curl pattern back.

003-vi.jpg

Bun straightened out the curls in the front.

Last edited:
greenandchic - gorgeous hair.
Can i ask what your regime is and do you often wear braidouts without it compromising retention?

Thanks!

*I generally cowash 2-3 times a week and shampoo after ever 3rd cowash (in general).

*DC once a week.

*Oil rinse around the time I DC.

*Henna/amla every other week (but sometime it gets stretched out a bit).

*Moisturize and seal daily.

*I've been wearing protective styles about 5-6 days a week since the spring. The twist outs are used for the buns that I wear most of the time. It helps cut down on tangles and SSKs. When I wear my hair out and unstretched, its usually in a high ponytail or puff (unlike the signature photo) to keep it off my shoulders. Sometimes I'll do a wash-n-go on the day I wear my hair out, but it usually when I'm in a hurry.

Stretching out the hair in general actually helps with retention for me because it cuts down on the knots, tangles and SSKs. Its mostly beneficial when I wear my hair up in a PS, not out. When it wear it out, it does rub on clothing, high seats, etc. HTH :Rose:

Thanks ladies!

Also thank you to greenandchic for posting your hair regime. I always find it interesting reading how other people care for their hair and what they find works for them because I am still in the process of trying to work out what works on my hair.

I am going to have a look on Youtube for a good rollersetting tutorial video and I am going to start considering wearing false hair pieces more often. At the moment, I tend to flat iron and then just add clip in extensions to acquire longer length but I have been doing this since I was about seventeen (I am twenty three now) and I never really thought of actually wearing a full wig. Now I think about it, this makes a lot of sense because I wouldn't have to apply heat to any of my hair so I think that I am going to consider this for the future.

Does anyone have any recommendations of where you can buy decent reasonably priced wigs online by any chance?

Back