No Matter What, I Still Have Dry Ends :(

butter_pecan

Since I started back straightening my hair, I've noticed that I'm now HL from MBL (yay!!!). And I'm super anal about conditioning and caring for my hair. It looks sooo healthy, except my ends are super dry and crunchy-feeling a lot. I've tried so many moisturizing techniques, but nothing is working lately. I drink lots of water, too. Do you ladies have any other suggestions?

so that means youve already tried baggying and GHE ?? and I like to baggying and heave sealing just after put off the plastic cap.

I know it sucks, but I carry a bit of castor oil in my purse and put a little bit of it on my ends throughout the day

I assume you're a natural? Do a few roller sets under the dryer it will smooth your cuticles down.

Congrats on reaching hip length! :up:

Have you tried just using some type of oil on your ends?

Sometimes, water-based moisturizers can cause dry ends.

yes youre right I meant heavy sealing !! sorry lol you seems to be excited that they were a new method out ! :grin:
shout out to Bublin for sharing this : http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=559813&highlight=dax
OP you should check this thread and if you want my review : http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=13905909&postcount=21
I used to get dry hair for long months, always dry ends so always breakage, and was never able to retain length.

SimJam GHE the technique is exactly the same as baggying but different by the use of product : baggying you use a moisturizer (a water based product, so a leave in or rinse out condish) but GHE you only use an oil. I think the purpose is to restore the natural oil film that protect hair. and it's not an hot oil treatment because u don't saturate hair.

If you have fine stranded hair, be careful with heavy sealing. It can cause build up and breakage if you use too much product.

Unrefined shea butter and a tiny drop of cold pressed EVOO works wonders for my ends whether I am flat ironed or not.

Also, for me, dusting every 4 weeks helps too.

I assume you're a natural? Do a few roller sets under the dryer it will smooth your cuticles down.

Yes, I'm a natural. I used to do roller sets all the time, but they take me forever!!! Takes my hair hours to dry :(

I may have to go back to this though. :ohwell:

Are your products pH balanced? You may need to make sure you're using products the are within a certain range to smooth down your cuticle.

Since you moisturize and seal, I doubt your ends are dry but, more so rough feeling which may be due to the raised cuticles or frizzy hair.

Have you corrected your porosity? Restored your hair to its natural pH as someone suggested? And maybe you just need a small trim? Those are my suggestions, you already have some great feedback in here.

Can you give a few more details on what products you are using? Are you relaxed or natural?

I also agree with the fact that you may need a trim. It does wonders for dry crunchy ends.

coconut oil saved my hair.that's all i use pretty much now. slather that baby on them ends and let it penetrate. coconut oil saved my hair.

Yes, I'm a natural. I used to do roller sets all the time, but they take me forever!!! Takes my hair hours to dry :(

I may have to go back to this though. :ohwell:

MMMmh porosity.. if your hair takes long for drying that could mean your hair has a low porosity. which is a pretty good because while it's hard for hair for getting moisturized, when it itraps water it won't let it go so easily. You should give a try to heavy sealing for a better moisture block on ends. you have choices between grease or between a thick oil like castor oil.
also giving a lil trim like an inch won't hurt you, above all, if you are HL that means your retention skills are on p-o-i-n-t !!!! (and congrats for reaching this length !!)

OP,

Have you tried steaming? You can apply an oil based conditioner and go under a steamer or apply and go into the steam room at your gym.

Ladies you all have incredible advice--thank you sooo much!

I will definitely do the trim and be diligent with the oils you all suggested. I will also try a few of the other methods you all listed (steam, increasing porosity, heavy sealing, etc.). I am very grateful and will post my progress soon!

Back