no-lye to lye?

SexyC

Latly I've been reading about how lye is better your your hair than no-lye but no-lye staightens better . I want to switch to lye because I would rather have heather hair than staighter hair.Are these 2 compatabe? And what If I could'nt afford to go to the hairdresser to get it done could I do it myself? And would breakage accur if these chemicals were overlapped? Thanks LOL!!

Last edited:
I think the no-lye gets your hair straighter. I used no-lye in college because the bss didn't seem to sell lye relaxers. In college my hair was very very straight. I had to use a ton of products to keep my hair moisturized however because it was very dry.

When I did get a hold of lye products in college (access to a car), I could see a difference in my hair where the lye started and where the no-lye started. My hair was frizzier in some spots because I wasn't relaxing my hair to bone straight. I can't really explain it. Now with my lye relaxers, I can't get my hair straight straight. I loosens the curl and that's about it, but it doesn't look a hot mess when I dry it.

I believe (now this is just me) that with a no-lye you really can't have room for error. If you underprocess your hair isn't going to look as good. You have to be diligent in your relaxing.

I'm not sure about the results of using no-lye over lye, so I would suggest stick with the relaxer you are using.

I think I would use a no-lye relaxer if I wanted my hair to be bone straight or very very close to it. I'm too scared to experiment and try it now. I did back in college, but I didn't really know then what I know now about my hair and I wouldn't want to take that chance.

i had no lye for YEARS and at the suggestion of my stylist switched to lye. his reasoning was the no lye left calcium buildup in my hair. (i was self relaxing and it was understood that under no conditions would i pay for him to relax my hair. so basically he had nothing to gain from getting me to switch.)

after my very first application i noticed the difference. the lye part was more moisturized!!

i've been using elasta qp for the past 3-4 years. there is still a noticble difference between the lye and the no lye. the no lye is still dryer and get frizzier more. the lye part also stands up to the weather better. so i'm growing/cutting that part out along with my layers.

keep in mind overlapping is a problem no matter what you use--it almost always causes breakage and overprocessing.

for me...lye is the way to go.

Huggette come in my Delusional thread and give me the scoop on how you self relax...you do a good job! :)

Huggette said:
i had no lye for YEARS and at the suggestion of my stylist switched to lye. his reasoning was the no lye left calcium buildup in my hair. (i was self relaxing and it was understood that under no conditions would i pay for him to relax my hair. so basically he had nothing to gain from getting me to switch.)

after my very first application i noticed the difference. the lye part was more moisturized!!

i've been using elasta qp for the past 3-4 years. there is still a noticble difference between the lye and the no lye. the no lye is still dryer and get frizzier more. the lye part also stands up to the weather better. so i'm growing/cutting that part out along with my layers.

keep in mind overlapping is a problem no matter what you use--it almost always causes breakage and overprocessing.

for me...lye is the way to go.

Back