No longer a relaxer virgin | pics attached!

greenandchic

After months of debating with myself, I finally took the plunge. :spinning: December 11th I did my first ever relaxer on my hair. I think I was foolish doing it myself, given I've never had it done before and it was harder than I thought it would be, but it turned out OK. I did a ton of research, stalked all of the relaxer threads, watched YT videos and made sure I was safe. My hair is actually between a texturizer and texlaxed with a ton of texture left over.

I did a touch up last week because the new growth was too much for me to handle. I will try to stretch longer next time.

I have less tangles and breakage than when I was natural. I trimmed my hair since my ends were pretty bad pre relaxer so I'm pretty much starting over. My hair now likes sulfates and 'cones to a certain extent when it didn't before. I still pretty much wear my hair in stretched styles (no heat) but it's much easier and faster.

I used ORS Cream Relaxer (despite the so-so reviews here) the first time around and it barely made a dent in my hair. I didn't want to do a corrective. My hair is much resistant than I imagined. This last time I used Silk Elements Olive Oil using the 1/2 and 1/2 method and it made a huge difference. My NG is actually straighter than the rest of my hair but I'm OK with it. I just need to make sure I care for my ends much better given the difference.

I did do a patch text the first time but I did it on an area that was naturally looser in texture; I use have used it on a 4a section.

I used to henna my hair but haven't done it since late spring. While rinsing the virgin relaxer the water was very pink - I wonder if that was the henna coming out?

--

I don't take the best hair photos but I will try to take some better ones later. My hair is dry with a leave-in in the last photo. My hair is damp in the previous photos.

Attachments

• photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    396.1 KB · Views: 577
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    281.6 KB · Views: 528
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 507
  • photo 2 (1).JPG
    photo 2 (1).JPG
    469.6 KB · Views: 555
It came out great! I'm about to texlax my virgin hair Thursday because I'm tired of all the tangles and breakage I get as a natural.

Your hair looks amazing. Your original curls must have been really tight. You still have a lot of texture (could pass for a natural). Congrats on your new journey. Happy your tangles are better now.

OMG, I can't believe you texlaxed your hair & did it yourself!!!! You did a fablous job. Your hair came out soooo pretty. I love the fact that you have texture still in your hair.

The 1st time I self-relaxed, I did the half and half method too. It helped alot, because I was able to control my texture better.

Welcome to the relaxed side:) greenandchic

It came out great! I'm about to texlax my virgin hair Thursday because I'm tired of all the tangles and breakage I get as a natural.

Thanks!
Let us know how it goes!

Your hair looks amazing. Your original curls must have been really tight. You still have a lot of texture (could pass for a natural). Congrats on your new journey. Happy your tangles are better now.

Thanks! My original curls was a tight 4a in the back with some stretched z patterns and 3c in the front. The 1/2 and 1/2 method works well for it. I left the relaxer on in the back much longer.

greenandchic Umm... your hair is absolutely beautiful! Im sure it was lovely prior too :)

Thanks!

OMG, I can't believe you texlaxed your hair & did it yourself!!!! You did a fablous job. Your hair came out soooo pretty. I love the fact that you have texture still in your hair.

The 1st time I self-relaxed, I did the half and half method too. It helped alot, because I was able to control my texture better.

Welcome to the relaxed side:) greenandchic

I can't either, LOL! I didn't do the 1/2 & 1/2 the first time around but I figured it would be easier to do it for touch ups, especially since my hair has very different textures from front to back.

Thanks for sharing, I'm tempted to do this at some point in the future, what natural hair type are you?

Combo of 4a/b in the back and 3c in the front.

The 4b was a elongated z pattern. The 4a was more curly. I had major shrinkage throughout most of my hair.

OMG!!!!! I'm so stunned. I thought I was seeing things. I remember seeing you post in a relaxed thread, and I was like, what's Greenandchic doing in here :lol:. Your hair came out beautiful!! Amazing job :grin:!!!
I did my virgin relaxer too, and had to go back and relax again because I had so much texture left. I'm envious of your ends. Mine are underprocessed and look so bushy :ohwell:. Were you going for texlaxed or did you plan to go straighter? How long did you leave the Silk Elements relaxer on? I'll add it to my possible touch up list because my hair is so resistant :lol:.

OMG!!!!! I'm so stunned. I thought I was seeing things. I remember seeing you post in a relaxed thread, and I was like, what's Greenandchic doing in here :lol:. Your hair came out beautiful!! Amazing job :grin:!!!
I did my virgin relaxer too, and had to go back and relax again because I had so much texture left. I'm envious of your ends. Mine are underprocessed and look so bushy :ohwell:. Were you going for texlaxed or did you plan to go straighter? How long did you leave the Silk Elements relaxer on? I'll add it to my possible touch up list because my hair is so resistant :lol:.

:lachen: I may have thanked a thread or two and complemented someone but I was pretty much under the radar!

My ends are a bit busy too; I have to keep them moisturized & sealed until they grow out and get cut.

I left the Silk Elements relaxer on for 15 minutes total - each section from start to finish. I did more smoothing this time around, and did a mid step protein treatment where I didn't do it before.

OMG greenandchic! OMG! :lol:

Gorgeous! Gorgeous! Congrats on your successful texlax!!!

If I could be guaranteed that natural looking fantastic result you have, no one could hold me back from running through the BSS right this instant. lol. Love the look.

Would you mind putting up a before texture pic, if you have one handy? TIA

Back