No Heat and Relaxed Hair...

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
Do you believe no heat is good for relaxed hair? I tried it, but I got a lot of broken hairs and tangles. What do you think?

minimal heat has helped me a lot. I only flat iron on touch up days. before that when i would get my hair flat ironed all the time..it was break like crazy! now very very little breakage..almost none!:yep:

I'd rather have healthy hair in a ponytail, than broken hairs all over my back becuz I'm always applying heat.

Rollerseting on a low heat level is also a good alternative.

Do you believe no heat is good for relaxed hair? I tried it, but I got a lot of broken hairs and tangles. What do you think?

I used to HATE airdrying my hair for this same reason. Then, I started cold water rinsing out my DC, and my hair fell in love with airdrying, and behaved wonderfully. I think another key for me is not to comb or brush my hair if it has been airdried. So, I'll just bun and go until I co wash again, or do a braidout, and finger comb.

I feel that direct heat and relaxed hair do not go together. :nono:

For me, no heat was key to restoring health to my hair as well as length. I threw out all heat appliances when I first came to the hair boards so I would not be tempted. I enjoyed learning how to airdry and seeing the progress keeps me going.

Some of the ladies here use indirect heat on their relaxed hair and have excellent results. :yep:

I use heat. I air dry and then flat iron. I recently don't use it as often because I want to baby my ends because I have goals to meet and I want to keep them as healthy as possible. I'm bunning right now. I think when you abuse something thats when you have problems.

I airdry in rollersets with no problems. It's been almost 2 years since I've used direct heat on my 4b, texlaxed hair. I was inspired by Isis (thanks, Isis) to drop all direct heat...best decision I could have made for the health of my hair.

If my hair starts to break or tangle, it's usually a sign that I need more moisture, assuming I haven't been using too much protein.

I've been stuck at SL all my life, so I decided last month to finally get rid of direct heat. I haven't used a blowdryer or flat iron for about 6 weeks, I'm either rollersetting or airdrying and bunning.

Hopefully it'll get me over the hump *crosses fingers*

I feel that direct heat and relaxed hair do not go together. :nono:

For me, no heat was key to restoring health to my hair as well as length. I threw out all heat appliances when I first came to the hair boards so I would not be tempted. I enjoyed learning how to airdry and seeing the progress keeps me going.

Some of the ladies here use indirect heat on their relaxed hair and have excellent results. :yep:

ITA. I texlax'd in part because I wanted to wear my hair airdried 90% of the time. My texlax'd hair loves airdrying, but I generally consider indirect heat (i.e., rollersetting) safe.

^^ my texlaxed hair likes air drying too.

I was inspired by Isis as well to cut back on the heat and my hair has been thriving because of it :)

My hair HATES to be airdried. If I don't use a hooded dryer, my hair dries a crispy mess. I try to limit the use of the flat iron, but I will use it to smooth my roots once i'm past 6 weeks post.

When I first went No heat...my relaxed hair revolted. I thought it was going to kill me, but after a while..it thanked me. The breaking stopped nd it just....got healthier, and started to maintain much more length. I'll never use heat again, even though its tempting since I've decided to transition.

I want to minimize heat. I bought some Caruso Rollers and a Chi Wet 2 Dry Flatiron today. I like to deep condition every week then air dry and flatiron. I don't know if I want my hair waist length again, but I do want it healthy. I may just get rollersets at the salon and Flatiron once a month.

Low indirect/no direct heat is the way for me. The only heat I use is sitting under the blow dryer for dc and rollersets. My hair is sometimes blowdried on a low setting straight for a trim depending on who's doing it. I run to the collagen after that! Rollersetting with low heat helps my hair to dry smooth and not tangle up. Occasionally I can airdry.Flat irons, blowdryers are a nono for me--too much pulling on hair that has already had the texture removed:nono:.Besides, I get the same swing rollersetting without the damage.

^^ my texlaxed hair likes air drying too.

I was inspired by Isis as well to cut back on the heat and my hair has been thriving because of it :)

I saw you and prospurr(sp) saying this and I had to ask her for her technique so I could cut back on heat also. I think I might try it tonight:grin:

I cut out direct heat (except for relaxer days at the salon) and I noticed that my hair retains moisture so much better because of it.

The right leave-ins and a silk scarf works miracles! I created an album in my Fotki that shows how air dry and wear my hair the next day.

Back