No conditioner after color treatment??

kami02

So I am at the salon getting the rare wash and set and I heard my hair dresser tell a customer the reason why she is getting the conditioner b4 the color and NOT after is because the conditioner will make the color come out. Huh? Does that make sense? I've never colored my hair but I would assume you should do it after since your hair will be weakened. The customer didn't seem convinced so my hair dresser offered to condition it after. I think she did the conditioner first though.

Does anyone else think she just made a mistake and was trying to save face?

BTW - I remember why I do my own wash and set. They were ripping that comb through my hair!

eh.... im no pro but... why is it that in all hair color kits there is a special conditioner that comes with it for the purpose of conditioning your weakened hair after color, with the specific directions to use after coloring... ummm... conditioning leaves stuff behind, not take away... I wouldnt go back to that spot... EVER

I never heard of that...my hair would be a tangled mess if I did not apply a conditioner after I colored (I don't use permanent color) and my color is still loud and vibrant after using my conditioner...

Shucks my colors last like it is permanent anyway...putting the condish on before coloring will prevent the color from taking at its full potential - the only type of condish (if u want to call it that) I use before coloring is Neutral Protein Filler and it intensifies my color...

eventually the color is going to fade a bit...that's just the nature of it.
but i always deep condition after coloring. color can be very drying...my hair would feel like tangled wool if i didn't do otherwise. :yep:

I guess if its a temporary rinse it kinda makes sense, but no she should condition after too (but with no heat- which could make the colour "bleed out" because your cuticles are still raised if you did a permanent colour.

I agree that they should condition after a permanent, but when I used to get rinse's at the salon, they refused to DC after applying it. Apparently, the moisture can cause color molecules to wash out-- the color wont be gone, but I guess it will fade quicker.

When I do my coloring at home, I cant help but DC after, but I dont use heat or anything that is too OVERLY moisturizing; just something that can sit in there quick and give my hair some slip.

Back