Night time routine

tarheelgurl

This is a spin off from the 'do you wrap' thread. I have seen how tos on how to wash, how to cowash, pre-poo, shampoo, flat iron, maxiglide, henna....etc etc. but what about what you do to your hair at night?

Do you treat fine hair differently than coarse? Do you wrap with silk or satin? Do you plait? Do you tie it up aunt Jemima style?

Lets not sleep on the 'sleepin' style! Share your nightly routine.
What kind of hair do you have and what do you do at night to protect it?

good one - I want to know too. Also, would you please say if your hair is relaxed or natural or braided, etc. I think this makes a difference, but I could be wrong; please correct me.

Ok, I will start!

Relaxed...3 something here...

Before the new growth gets too thick, I wrap my hair then put some moisturizer on it, going in a circle in the direction it was wrapped. Then I tie it up with a silk scarf.

On other nights, I moisturize it and plait into 2 plaits then pin the ends up and tie it up with a silk scarf.

When the new growth is just too much, I will just moisturize it and pin it up but I tie with the knot in the back so that it will mash down the new growth to keep the front looking a little smooth.

Otherwise I tie it with the knot in the front.
ETA: My hair is very fine medium to thin thickness.

I'm a natural, I usually twist my hair at night and wear a silk scarf. When I flat iron my hair, I put Frederic Fekkai's Overnight Hair Repair on my hair and wear a silk scarf.

At night I mostly, moisturize with ORS olive oil or NTM Silk Touch Leave in, place in a ponytail (some times I bagy my ends sometimes I do not), If I am really nappy I will tie down with a satin scarf, if not I will just sleep on my satin pillow case, no scarf.

I rub on NTM Silk & seal with coconut grease. Then I loose bun my hair or cross wrap and carefully slip in duck bill clamps to secure my hair. Lastly, I put on my satin bonnet or head scarf if my hair is in a bun. If use a satin head scarf only if my hair is cross wrapped then I slid out the duck bill clamps or you could leave them in if you don't mind a wave pattern in your hair. I only use satin pillow slips.

I rinse and conwash every few nights. On those nights usually I still apply NTM Silk and seal with coconut grease then put in a bun. I put my hair in a ponytail if I want to flat iron staight the next day. In the morning my hair is still wet but I spritz on a little water and OCCASIONALLY (1x a month or less) I will blowdry on low heat/high speed then flat iron. Then to preserve the style I do the crosswrap at night.

If past 6 weeks I only apply NTM Silk seal with coconut grease and bun until I relax at 12 weeks.

Last edited:
I'll start here. Did my normal wash and rollerset on Sat. Finger combed through. For bed I wrapped my hair and tied on my satin wrap cap. Sunday morning combed out with fingers using my comb just a little. Wore it down for church. Sunday night, I combed it back adding a little moisturizer into a ponytail. I added extra moisturizer to the tail, mixed a little evoo and sweet almond oil in a baggie, covered it with the baggie, tied on my satin scarf, done. This morning I removed the baggie, raked over the top, added a little shine, and pulled my hair back tucked in a scrunchie. This is my routine until I wash again on Wed. My hair is relaxed and I'm only about 4 wks post.

Since my hair is not "styled" and I am moisturizing and oiling at night. I have 3 plaits in that I cover with a satin wrap and then put a satin bonnet on top of that. Right now I am experimenting with the baggy method, where I moisturize my hair and then put my ponytail in a baggy and wrap that. I am 15 weeks post relaxer and currently transitioning so conditioning and moisturizing is important.

my night time regime is not to consistent but every night i tie it with my satin scarf if it's styled or not moisturized or not always tied up but follows

if there's a lot of new growth I'll use the scarf method and spray some scurl though out hair lift up sections to get it in there smooth down than smooth on some ntm touch plait or clip or put in pony tail and rub some more silk touch on top then tie up

if my hair is in a style (more than likely a loose bun ...which is just me using a regular claw clip bending my hair and clipping it to scalp) or real pony tail I'll use my spray bottle get real close up on my scalp and spray my hair with scurl and water ( having it close to my scalp makes sure the solution gets down to my roots and not just the top layer so I'll spray some spots smooth them in than spray the top layer of hair unloose tail moist ends and the part where hair was bunched up with scurl and water and or ntm silk touch re secure pony tail

rub some silk touch on top layer of hair than seal head and tail tie down

point being no matter what hair is always tied down

I'm thinking of using hello hydration as a leave in and seeing how that works

my wonderfull 3 1/2 year old daughter poured my sealent down the drain than put a little water in what was left and my little bit of motions hair lotion is all most gone so i've been sealing with evoo till i can get to the store

I do the same thing from the first day of a fresh touch up to the last day of a stretch. At night I will either baggie, or I will apply a moisturizer and take a silk scarf and tie my hair ( never wrapping or putting in a bun), and then take a silk cap and put it over my scarf. I've been doing it for years that it has just become routine. :)

ShaniKeys said:
I'm a natural, I usually twist my hair at night and wear a silk scarf. When I flat iron my hair, I put Frederic Fekkai's Overnight Hair Repair on my hair and wear a silk scarf.

A little off topic:

Wow, ShaniKeys: Frederic Fekkai's Overnight Hair Repair. That price is no joke. I have looked at that a couple of times. While I spend a decent amount on my products and tools, I got a little nervous at the thought of that one. Does it do what it says it will do? Is it a wonder product? PM me if you prefer.

tarheelgurl said:
What kind of hair do you have and what do you do at night to protect it?

My hair is 3c/4a relaxed, but I'm transitioning. I usually work out in the evenings and I wash my hair every two days. When my hair is semi-damp, I'll apply some kind of oil/dressing to it, make 3-4 plaits, and put perm rods on the ends. I have a satin pillowcase; the scarves don't stay on my head.

I moisturize with Ojon Revitalizing Mist and seal with a little SAO if needed. Then I roll it on magnet rollers. I have found that tying it up Aunt Jemima-style with my satin scarf keeps the rollers in place better during the night (than with the bonnet alone). Then I add my big bonnet to cover the whole head...and what a head it is after all that. Those are the nights, I sneak to bed before my husband joins me. :)

Occassionally, after moisturizing, I simply wrap my hair with my silk scarf, if I don't feel like sleeping on rollers. Other times I just clip it up and go to bed and when I'm really tired of feeling "constricted" I just moisturize and go to bed. I always use a satin pillow case so I'm safe regardless. The morning after those lazy nights, I wear my french roll or if casual simply clip it up with a vintage butterfly clip.

Wow, I am begining to see a whole new outlook on nighttime hair care! What I do at night really makes a difference when the sun comes up....so actually pay more attention to what I do to my hair at night than during the day.
I actually think that besides heat, night/sleep/pillow time is the next biggest source of damage to my hair.

tarheelgurl said:
Wow, I am begining to see a whole new outlook on nighttime hair care! What I do at night really makes a difference when the sun comes up....so actually pay more attention to what I do to my hair at night than during the day.
I actually think that besides heat, night/sleep/pillow time is the next biggest source of damage to my hair.

Yeah, tarheelgurl. Those were my two biggest "hair sins" in the past. I used to use heat every morning because I did nothing the night before. I didn't cover or wrap or moisturize. I did use a satin pillow case for a couple of years before, but it is the combination of these things that help.

I just baggy and put on my beloved bonnet. If my hair is freshly washed, I put my hair in bantu knots and put my bonnet on.

I mostly just take out the pins and tie it down with a satin scarf. If needed I moisturize before tying it down. If it is down/curly, I just throw a satin bonnet on top.

I moisturize and wrap my hair every night, and tie it with
a satin scarf. it comes down nice and smooth every morning.

I put alittle mizani''s rose hair treatment(i can't remember the name exactly)or carol's daughter hair milk wrap it up in my satin scarf, or my black bonnet, since my roomate keeps swipping my cute head scarves:( . Sometimes I do flat and 2 strand twist on my dry hair too and then sleep in it and take it out in the morning or if they're cute leave them in for the day.
Oh I'm natural 3c/4a.

I moisturize everynite. Currently using UBH creme lotion( very nice)
Always a satin or silk scarf, which ever one is in reach. If I am wearing it straight. I tie a scarf around the top to flatten and leave the back out. ( just like sylver2 method) If I am wanting curl, I make a big pin curl in the back and tie it up with a second scarf over it. I am currently making 3 bantu knots every nite and tying a scarf around them and letting them loose for a wavy look.
3 C

I have a No heat regimen.

RZ

ShaniKeys said:

When you twist your hair, do you dampen it? i don't think my hair will come out as defined If I don't.

ShaniKeys said:

Fekkai's Overnight Hair Repair!!!! Wow! How does it work?

These days, I pincurl my hair and cover it with a silk or satin scarf. I wear a silk bonnet over my scarf (helps keep it on) and sleep on a silk pillowcase. The silk pillowcase is good for the skin too, keeps it smooth.

Back