Newly Relaxed with Phyto - but sad...

PocaNJ

I recently relaxed this month with Phyto (after transitioning and bc'ing in Sept).

I transitioned and bc'ed because I really wanted to be able to wear 'wash n' gos' and the beautiful natural styles that I have seen on this site.

Unfortunately, that wasn't in the cards for me....So I went to a salon in Philly and get a Phyto relaxer. The stylist was really good, but she informed me that my hair was in really bad shape. And after she pointed out several areas that were really short and damaged, I totally agreed with her. We agreed that a cut was really needed. And so she cut my hair from damaged neck length to upper earlobe length.

The problem is that I am not really used to short hair. This is the shortest that my hair has ever been, and I don't know what do to do with it.

Are there any short protective styles that I can wear to help it to grow back? I just feel so lost and discouraged :(

So there was nothing wrong with the phyto relaxer itself?

How short is your hair? you can try braids and phony ponies.

I'm sorry you lost some length, but it will grow back so quickly and this time you will start with healthy ends. Using phyto should also help keep it healthy.

As far as protective styles for short hair: try low-manipulation styles, like a smooth sleek look. That is really cute. Tie it up at night, spray a light moisturizer on it and smooth it with your hands in the morning and go.

I bet you will gain an inch or two in no time! Hang in there Poca!

Thanks for the support!

It seems easy to find information regarding protective styles for longer hair (buns, etc.), but it's really hard when you don't have that much to work with! :lol:

Hey, don't feel bad. We all have set backs. The easiest protective style for your short hair is a wrap. When my hair used to relax, this style was my fave and my hair grew long enough to put on a pony tail pretty fast. I did my wraps without heat. It used to dry smoothly. Ideally I'd love to have relaxed hair, but my hair refuses to do it since I use MTG.:lol:

(((Poca))) I can't advise on hair that short because I've never had it, but I agree with the other ladies. Setbacks are disappointing but look at it as a healthy hair beginning.

I know it's hard right now. It was really hard for me to cut my hair from below APL to 1 inch below SL, but I'm so glad I did. Instead of feeling like I was working towards a big cut now I'm just working toward adding length.

Last edited:
Hey, I understand your frustration. The last time I went ot the salon back in Sept. The stylist, not only cut my hair way shorter than I wanted(she was only supposed to be clipping the ends), but she gave me 3rd degree burns throughout my scalp, and I wasn't even able to put leave in conditioner in my hair for 1 week!! because my scalp was so burnt and sensitive. With that said, just hang in there. I am now 13 weeks post relzxer, and my hair has grown past what she cut off. You will too!! Don't be discouraged. Also, I am considering using the Phyto Relaxer for my touch up coming up in a few weeks. I currently use Affrim regular. Did you have any negative reaction with the Phyto relaxer, also does anyone know if it will affect the part of my hair that has Affrim in it? - thanks:) www.fotki.com/candy78

Last edited:
i wish i could find the thread that keeps popping up for those of us with short hair dealing with protective styles and such, but it's taking me a while...

just to let you know what i am doing in the midst of being extremely frustrated with a big chop in sept:

i and pin curling my hair all over and pinning it in a semi mohawk updo while using pretty rhinestone bobby pins kinda "set" upon my hair as to not pull my hair...

i've tried falls and wigs, but they are just not working with me...every now and then, i will baggie my hair and wear a wrap to work. so far, my hair has grown out a bit, but it's still not long enough to pull back into a ponytail *sigh*

good luck with everything!

Thanks everyone! There is so much support here, you guys are the best!:cry3:(wiping a tear from my eye)

Anywho......

The Phyto relaxer was really good. My hair feels really silky, smooth, and my layers are bouncy....I just wish it was about 10 inches longer :grin:

Back