Newbie with a Fotki and Question for Relaxed, Natural, and Everyone In Between

kiesha8185

I've been lurking since October 2006 and I've finally decided to join! A little about me… I am relaxed, 4a or 4b, and I am currently in kinky twists trying to grow my hair out. I'm trying to grow my hair out cuz the last time I had kinky twists, I didn't detangle/comb out my hair before I washed it...so to make a long story short...I was ripping tangles and knots out of my hair. Needless to say, that was a sad day for me. My hair *looks* healthy cuz now it's easier for me to blend it in now cuz it's growing out, but I really know my ends are a hot mess. If you see my siggy pic, you see how it "looks" like I have layers?? They ain't layers...I got short pieces, long pieces, medium pieces...my hair is really all broken up.

But I have a question. Being in these twists and seeing my new growth is making me LOVE my natural hair. I mean I LOVE IT. Before LHCF, I was the most “I-ain’t-never-goin-natural-uh-uh-I-NEED-MY-PERM” kinda girl. I needed my hair to be bone straight; the fact that I’m actually considering going 3-4 years (or however long it will take me to grow my natural hair to bra-strap) without a relaxer, is making me confused! Ok I’m rambling…my question is:

a) do you think I should just cut off my relaxed hair and go 4 years to re-grow my hair
b) gradually cut off my relaxed ends, maintain this length for 4 years (or however long it takes me to grow it out) or
c) just keep my length, baby my ends, and try my best to blend in my healthier hair with my unhealthy hair

My new growth is sooo soft and healthy and moisturized, it makes my relaxed hair feel like crap, you know? Like running my fingers down my 3 inches of new growth, then hittin the relaxed portions of my hair, I wanna just cut my hair, grow it all out wearing twists/braids, then relax in like 4 years. Does that sound stupid? But I feel like all the damage I’ve done from the second time I had kinky twists is irreversible. What do think I should do?

Lastly, although this may sound like a broken record...the information I’ve received from this website is so invaluable, and would like to thank you ladies for being so generous and helpful. You have definitely opened my eyes in many aspects, and would like to thank you for that. I hope to get so much more from this site, and hope that whatever I offer can help others in the future. Later!

Last edited:
Hi, Keisha! And welcome to LHCF!!!

From what you described, I think it would be best to cut it and start over. It sounds to me that you don't have much attachment to your relaxed ends, anyway.

HTH and HHG!

Good luck!

I would say before you big chop make sure this is what you want to do. Some ladies BC and some just kind of cut as they grow. The world is yours and ultimately it's up to you. I just cut the perm out as I grew and now I'm shoulder length and chemical free. Welcome out of lurkdom by the way :)

Your hair is absolutely beautiful by the way!

Also, I am thinking of doing some kinky twists on my own. How does one make the knot up top to start the twist? Is it something that can be explained verbally?

Thanks so much for the quick responses.

Bre-bre, thank you for the compliment :) As far as doing kinky twists, I'll try my best to explain it: you take a piece of the kinky hair and hold it like you would hold...a harmonica (lol, I dunno a better visual explanation!). Your middle fingers and pointer fingers should be on top and your thumbs on the bottom. Keeping your hands in this position, you grab some of your real hair with your thumbs underneath. Then you plait the three pieces of hair as close to the scalp as possible. Braid it only a little, like 1/2 an inch or less, then play with it a little to get 2 even portions and twist the remainder.

I hope I didn’t make this sound complicated. I know there’s some dvd out there that can explain this better than me! HTH

kiesha8185 said:
Thanks so much for the quick responses.

Bre-bre, thank you for the compliment :) As far as doing kinky twists, I'll try my best to explain it: you take a piece of the kinky hair and hold it like you would hold...a harmonica (lol, I dunno a better visual explanation!). Your middle fingers and pointer fingers should be on top and your thumbs on the bottom. Keeping your hands in this position, you grab some of your real hair with your thumbs underneath. Then you plait the three pieces of hair as close to the scalp as possible. Braid it only a little, like 1/2 an inch or less, then play with it a little to get 2 even portions and twist the remainder.

I hope I didn’t make this sound complicated. I know there’s some dvd out there that can explain this better than me! HTH

This makes sense. I am going to have to do some experimenting. I just hate the time it takes to braid my hair. Your twists are super cute though!!

Welcome Keisha! As someone who transitioned for 8 months, I would say that if you have to ask then you probably need to transition for a while. What I mean is that cutting your hair off completely can be a big shock to your system and the texture you are feeling now is stretched out by the relaxed hair so that might not be your true texture. It could change when its all cut off! So here is what I suggest you do.
1) Set up a length of time that you want to transition, give yourself a BC day (I gave myself a year from Feb. when I actually decided to take better care of my hair but chopped in July, last relaxer was in Dec.06)
2) Try various transitioning styles and try to use as little heat as possible, that way if you do BC you will know what to do with your hair. Personally I dont see the point in straightening my hair right now its not long at all. So I have to know how to style it now
3) Try to find staple products that make your hair feel great! Having a regimen in place, with a few staple products will set your mind at ease
4) Search fotki's for inspiration and also to see how ladies transitioned and for how long,what styles they used and how they turned out
Lastly I would have to say that each journey is an individual one. So what worked for some might not work for all. In the end you have to do what is best for you and what you can live with.

Best of luck and I know you are going to make the right decision!:p

Blackoutzangel05~
Thanks for such a helpful response! Cutting off my hair would be a shock, I'd probably cry or something lol. And you're right, this new growth may not be an accurate representation of my true texture. The thing is, I don't wanna go natural; I just really like how much healthier my new growth is compared to the relaxed hair. I'm confused if I should just leave it alone, keep my length, and deal with it or if I should cut it off and start over. But I'm gonna try and go 2 years without a relaxer and see how that goes.

Thanks everyone for your opinions!

kiesha8185 said:
Blackoutzangel05~
Thanks for such a helpful response! Cutting off my hair would be a shock, I'd probably cry or something lol. And you're right, this new growth may not be an accurate representation of my true texture. The thing is, I don't wanna go natural; I just really like how much healthier my new growth is compared to the relaxed hair. I'm confused if I should just leave it alone, keep my length, and deal with it or if I should cut it off and start over. But I'm gonna try and go 2 years without a relaxer and see how that goes.

Thanks everyone for your opinions!

I would recommend slow trims....just to get healthier hair. I have viewed your fotki and your hair is gorgeous and seems to be healthy. Your new growth is going to come in healthier and stronger because it is not altered. You haven't applied chemicals to it. In 2 years you are going to have a lot of new growth! I can't wait to see your results!

Blackoutzangel05 said:
I would recommend slow trims....just to get healthier hair. I have viewed your fotki and your hair is gorgeous and seems to be healthy. Your new growth is going to come in healthier and stronger because it is not altered. You haven't applied chemicals to it. In 2 years you are going to have a lot of new growth! I can't wait to see your results!

Blackoutzangel05~
Thanks...I really think this is what I may end up doing. I realized I didn't even tell you all what I did to my hair to make it damaged in the first place :ohwell: so I'm gonna go edit my original post. But basically, the last time I had kinky twists, I didn't detangle/comb out my hair before I washed it...so to make a long story short...I was ripping tangles and knots out of my hair. Needless to say, that was a sad day for me :( My hair *looks* healthy cuz now it's easier for me to blend it in now cuz it's growing out, but I really know my ends are a hot mess. If you see my siggy pic, you see how it "looks" like I have layers?? They ain't layers...I got short pieces, long pieces, medium pieces...my hair is really all broken up. But anyway...I'm gonna take your advice and trim little by little. Thanks so much!

Back