Newbie who needs help doing her own hair!!!!

cdixon

I just recently found this thread within the last week or two and I too am tired of my hair being all over the sink and on the floor in the bathroom. I did my hair for the first time on Sunday and it came out a hot mess. I tried the rollerset it didn't work out because I had no idea what I was doing. Then I tried to do my hair in four ponytails with a roller, it curled my hair but I took it down too soon because it was taking forever to dry, now I'm sad because I'm going to have to wear my hair in a ponytail for the next few days. I don't know anything yet. I don't know what cowashing is or any of the other terms, pre-poo. I just ordered Macherieamour's dvd to help me with my rollersetting techniques but I just feel lost and sad. Also I blow dried my hair and the ends look very puffy and dry, but the roots look fine. I don't know what to do please help. SSL but I really needed some advice from some pros.

:look:

Welcome to the forum! Can you describe your hair in detail. Is it damaged or shedding? I'm sure the others can help you.

I have no idea what my hair is like, I know that I have thin hair, and it can't hold any curls, but I don't know if it's 4A or whatever they say. I think it may be damaged from not taking care of it too well...too much heat, not enough deep conditioning, even though I spend at least $25 every week when I went to the salon.

Last edited:
Is it coarse? Tight coiled, wavy, straight, curly? Are you moisturizing your hair? What kind of shampoos & conditioners do you use? How often to you shampoo? How do you style your hair? Are you using a lot of heat?

My hair is not coarse, i don't believe it's like that I know that it is flat, I have a relaxer, and I don't believe that it is wavy, I don't know I'm trying to send a pic, tell me what you think it is so I can have some clue....How do I send a pic, it is too big to send

I just recently found this thread within the last week or two and I too am tired of my hair being all over the sink and on the floor in the bathroom. I did my hair for the first time on Sunday and it came out a hot mess. I tried the rollerset it didn't work out because I had no idea what I was doing. Then I tried to do my hair in four ponytails with a roller, it curled my hair but I took it down too soon because it was taking forever to dry, now I'm sad because I'm going to have to wear my hair in a ponytail for the next few days. I don't know anything yet. I don't know what cowashing is or any of the other terms, pre-poo. I just ordered Macherieamour's dvd to help me with my rollersetting techniques but I just feel lost and sad. Also I blow dried my hair and the ends look very puffy and dry, but the roots look fine. I don't know what to do please help. SSL but I really needed some advice from some pros.

:look:

How many hairs on average are you losing? Are they long strands with bulbs on the end or little teeny weeny hairs?

Do you DC? What are your products that you're using and what's your usual regimen?

Do you moisturize your hair and seal?

Hmmm... do you do any protein treatments?

Does your hair feel limp/dry or crunchy/hard?

It sounds like to me like you have a moisture and protein imbalance. I would probably start with a pre-poo, it can be anything like using olive oil and a hot towel turban for anywhere from 15 minutes to 1 hour. It helps to block the sulfates from being as harsh on the hair.

I would DC after this, maybe ORS Hair Mayo, or Replenishing Paks. SweetCashew has a conditioner that she sells that's also REALLY good and moisturizing.

I would also probably lay off of the heat for awhile; do some air dried rollersets, braidouts, twist outs, bantu knots, or simply bun and protective style it. Moisturizing your hair is key - use a good leave in like NTM SilkTouch followed up by castor oil or coconut oil to seal. (Coconut oil is a lot lighter).

The more info you give, the more we may be able to help. Give us some details and I'm sure other ladies will chime in.

I just sent pics, I'm a little scared of airdry because I feel like my hair will be poofy and it won't look right, i already have a bun for a protective style, and I'm going to try to do braidouts. I'm just scared because I feel like I don't really know what I'm doing yet, and how often I should do it. Air dryed roller sets what do they look like?

Okay from what I can see, your hair is relaxed? You may be lacking moisture. I agree with the other poster, you may need to start off with a Pre-poo, use a moisturizing shampoo, then follow with a deep conditioner. As for air dryed rollersets, all you're doing is wet setting your hair then letting it air dry (not using any heat. Just let it dry naturally). Are you seeing hairs that have the white bulb on the end or just sized pieces of broken hair. I'm asking this because maybe someone can help determine whether you are experiencing breakage or shedding.

BTW, I like the curly hair pic.:yep:

I don't see any white bulbs just broken hair, I don't know if it's shedding or not, but I do have coconut oil, and NTM daily silk leave in, and I just hope my hair doesn't get too greasy. I do know that I did a hot oil treatment, shampooed with HE degunkify, conditioned with HE Hello Hydration, and then deep conditioned with Henna & Placenta conditioner. Then I rinsed out and tried to rollerset using coconut oil, water, and Garnier fructis sleek and shine, and my hair did not want to roller set, it was hard just trying to comb it through it wasn't soft like I thought it would be to do the rollerset that's when I gave up...Thanks just saw the compliment about the curly hair

It sounds like you have some breakage. I was hoping some of the others would have chimed in to help. I'm still working on repairing severly damaged hair so I'm not sure whether I should tell you to try Aphogee Treatment for Damaged hair. I know that it really helped me, though. Also, you may want to try using Queen Helene Garlic Shampoo, followed by a moisturizing shampoo (it made my hair dry and kind of hard but the moisturizing poo can help with that). Don't forget to deep condition!

Also, you may want to browse the forums. There is so much info here. I hope this helps.

Back