Newbie spent lots of money -- now confused?!?!

L.Mo.

Ok, since I found this post on the weekend, I, too am addicted! I went out to one of the BSS' in the Toronto area recommended on this site and bought:

1) LUST
2) Break-free (I hope it's the right one... by Profectiv??)
3) Elasta QP Recovery oil moisturizer
4) Joico K-Pak shampoo
5) Joico K-Pak reconstructor
6) World of Curls activator
7) a phony-pony!!

Prior to the site my regimen for my 4a/4b relaxed hair was:
Wash once weekly. Night before wash, apply olive oil to hair and sleep in a plastic cap. Next day, wash with K-Pak shampoo. Apply Emergencee (with heat x 20 mins). (Not every week... close to relaxer, then not much after). Rinse. Apply Kerasilk conditioner (without heat x 10 mins). Rinse. Blow-dry and curl with large-barrel curling iron. I relax every 7 weeks with Affirm (but just changed to a new stylist 'cause the old was getting sloppy with the new growth.... didn't ask what she used... will bring my own Affirm next time!).

I want to use less heat. I have OK hair, but FINE! Layered, was to bra-strap in back, just got it cut.

I tried a "braids-out" this morning, and got lots of compliments. I sprayed last night with distilled water (didn't start with a clean head) and braided into 4 large plaits. Problem is, my hair feels dry right now. I'm going to sleep with olive oil tonight. I like the curly/wavy/wild look. If I use activator tomorrow, will it dry me out? How do I use it? Should I mist with distilled water and the Elasta QP?!?!

I'm all confused?!?!
confused.gif
confused.gif

Hi,

Just wanted to welcome you. I like your to-the-point post also. One of the members who is more familiar with braid-outs will come along and give you tips on how to keep it looking fresh and moisturized without destroying it
smile.gif

Yes, you got the correct Profectiv Breakfree.

Curl activator should not dry your hair out. In fact, it is super moisturizing. For tonight I would use something moisturizing (think water or water based) if your hair feels dry right now, and then perhaps the olive oil.

As for tomorrow, I'll let someone else suggest something as well since I'm not a braid-out expert. Just make sure your hair's dry when you un-braid.

Welcome
wave.gif

For my next day braid out I usually use DI water mixed w/ jojoba oil or I spritz with plain DI water and smooth mango butter on my slightly wet plaits.

Hi Lisa, Welcome. It sounds to me like you have every thing under control. I too also have 4a/b hair and do braid outs but my hair is not as long as yours. My problem is is that after I do a braidout then thats it. I cant touch it until I wash it out. I have gotten used to sleeping on my tummy. This sounds simple but it helps soooo much when you are trying to keep the braidout style in tact. To keep it looking good I sleep on tummy and I usually wear cornrows for about a couple days so when I do take them out the braidout is more defined and looks better. In my case it stays longer the longer I have my braids in. I hope this helped and make sure to post more questions or do a search. That may also help.

Thanks everyone! I see that a "braid-out challenge" was started in the spring. The instruction link no longer works... I also saw that Babyblue has had luck with curl definition using LUST as a leave-in...

So much to try... so little time... I guess a lot of it is experimenting with your own hair types to see what works! (SIGH) ...we all want the quick fix... I can't be patient!! : )

Back