Newbie needs help with regimen, breakage, etc!!

Raine054

Hi everyone!!

I'm so excited to be here. I've been stalking this forum for a few months now and I finally decided to join.

I'm 3c/4a bone straight relaxed with who recently moved to Wisconsin. My hair is MBL but in need of some serious help!!

I'm just coming out of a 3 month stretch and I would've stretched longer if my hair were not breaking so bad. Ever since moving here, my hair has been dry, brittle, and I lose clumps of it at a time. The last time I washed, I clarified with baking soda, and DC'd and my hair was still matted and tangled. I use Motions CPR and Vitale Olive Oil Mayo conditioners and it never failed me before. I literally lost 2 fistfuls of hair that time and my ends practically vanished. I've never tried to grow my hair and I don't baby it like I should..Now I feel stupid for taking my length for granted.

I relaxed today and I'm going to start fresh. It's already moisturized and bunned!! I did trim 1.5-2 inches and though the ends are still thin, I also dusted and am pretty sure they are no split ends.

I mostly need help with finding the right products....which is best for moisturizing...which is best for tangles..

Some of you have already helped even though you don't know it. I'm excited to see what my journey here will bring...Here is my hair as it looks today

Last edited:
Hi, sheny057!!!

I'm not relaxed, but I'll try to help you as best as I can. What is your regimen? What products do you regularly use? If I knew those things, I'd better be able to tell you whether I thought it was a moisture or protein issue.

I don't really have a strict regimen. Its changed. Before I move here I used Tresseme Shampoo (the smoothing one) and DC with Motions CPR or Vitale Olive Oil Hair Mayo.

During the week I would use The ORS Olive Oil hairdress, oil moisturizing lotion and Profectiv healthy ends. I use a lot of product too....mines go fast.

Looking at the stuff you used, I was going to say that you needed more moisturizing products; however, if the products you use have always worked for you, maybe it is a hard water issue.

Thanks Cream Tee.. I thought so too. I assumed the water quality was fine since I haven't had any acne problems.

That thread is really amazing!

:welcome3:Your hair is very pretty if I might add. I think the first thing you may want to do is take an assessment of your hair. I would say first determine if you are shedding or breaking or both. This will help you learn what your hair needs. Once you figure those things out then you can address each issue. Also the season and climate change may be a contributing factor as well to your recent issue.

I'm 100% sure that its breakage. The hair pieces are usually short...only a few carry the bulb from the root.

After going through the forum, I purchased some avocado butter. I can make my own coconut oil, I just have to be home to make it. But if anyone wants some, I could probably help with that!!!

What is the Ayurveda that I keep hearing about? It's seems interesting.

And thanks Iboogie

Welcome to the hair boards! When I was loosing clumps of hair I was in need of some serious protein. I had to continue protein until my hair stopped coming out.

Co sign on hard water even though I'm a natural (I used to be relaxed)
Most don't realize how much damage hard water can do. Getting a filter is vital.Once I purchased one, my hair and skin was sooo much softer and breakage became non existent because the rest of my regimen was on point. If your regimen is on point, and like you say you were maintaining MBL fine before, this may be something to look into. I got mine at home depot. You can purchase online or reserve to pick up at a store. They started at only $20.00

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...nktype=product&storeId=10051&ddkey=THDSiteMap

Other issues to consider, Moving to another state: what's the weather like versus where you used to be? You may want to look at regimens from similar states if the hardwater doesn't let up. Granted that a lot of our regimens are similar but I noticed I had to add on different products for NYC versus los angeles as the weather is waaay harsher. I stated pm'ing those in NYC location for help so that I could get some tips, and looked in threads as well.

Another thing to add: If these things don't do it you may need to go to your doc for a checkup and just make sure you don't have anemia, thyroid issues, or other issues that can cause hair to come out in fistfuls. These conditions can be remedied (or at the very least put into check, and you can search for those with similar problems to see what they're doing in their reggies to maintain their lovely locks). I hope you are fine, but it is important to check on your health.

HTH

Last edited:
welcome!! very nice hair too!! as for products, there are MANY good ones out there to choose from, read some of the old threads on this board on various products that is always helpful for me

I'm no expert and I don't practice it but Ayurveda is using indian products, and imitating indian hair practices. So you would use oils such as amla oil which help thicken the hair, apply henna, and all these other things.....I'm sure someone will chime in that uses ayurvedic products...

Last edited:
I would switch out the oil moisturizer for a water based moisturizer and get a better moisturzing conditioner.I like http://www.sallybeauty.com/Mega-Moisture-Creme/SBS-500342,default,pd.html sold at sallys and neutrogena leave in(sold at drugstores).

I would also invest in a wide tooth jilbere or conair shower comb to remove tangles in the shower.I would attempt to to switch products first then if all else fails I would try the water filter like Cream Tee said since you just moved and the water may have more minreals/chlorine that dry out the hair.Aquasana is a great filter.

I'm going to invest in a filter once I get paid. Thank you all for the feedback. I always thought if my hair felt soft then it was moisturized...I think I've been fooled my a lot of oil based products. I moisturized with avocado butter and sealed with Kemi Oil last night. I also rolled my ends.

It feels amazing!

Thank you so much girls. I hope to get to HL soon!

Back