NEWBIE NEEDS HELP COVERING GRAYS

FindingMe

Hi, ladies, I have a few gray hairs sprinkled through my hair :blush: and need help covering them. I have relaxed APL, dark brown, 3b/4a hair, pretty good condition. Any suggestions? I was really thinking about Dominican Color Showers or Henna but wanted to know others experience with using them (or something else) specifically to cover gray hairs.

Last edited:
I started graying at 18 and I color my hair with henna. Henna and Indigo henna works great for me because I have to color often and I'm allergic to hair color.

I started graying at 18 and I color my hair with henna. Henna and Indigo henna works great for me because I have to color often and I'm allergic to hair color.

What color is your hair now? Any pics? How do you mix/prepare your henna, do you add anything to it? What brand do you use?

Thanks for the reply!!

I have used the henna and indigo mix in the past but I found that while the rest of my hair turned out dark with a hint of coppery highlights my lil patch of gray hair in the front turned a deep red color. Today I placed an indigo only mix on my hair and I hope it turns the red patch black or close to it - wish me luck :yep:

Here's a link for you. this is a popular site for info.

These are search results on this site for henna and gray hair.

THANKS for the henna link! I tried to access the link for the gray hair/henna search and could not pull it up. I also tried to do a search myself before I posted the thread, but I must be doing something wrong...:ohwell:

I wanted to do an indigo to cover my grays that my black semi-perm color would not. I bought henna and couldn't wait for the indigo. I did the henna last night. It turned my grays a coppery color. Indoors my hair looks black but in bright light or sun you can see auburn tones. I was also impressed by how much thicker my hair felt. It looks really glossy, too, but feels a little dry. DC'ing a lot afterward would have helped, I only did it for 15 minutes. I put henna pics in my fotki with more details, plus a vid clip of the result.

I love henna for covering grays. I didn't want to go back to semi-perm or permanent color ever and rinses didn't last long washing my hair twice a week. Henna has been a godsend. It brought back my natural dark color I hadn't seen in years, as well as highlights the grays with coppery color. I love that the color never leaves the strands, it just grows out from my scalp.

OT: Hey Medmunky! Glad you made it to LHCF!!!

I use henna and I love the red coloring. There is a great thread on here all about henna: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=87256.

I prepare my henna like this: I add enough lemon juice to make a paste, then I add 4 oz. of yogurt. Lemon juice can be drying but the yogurt completely counteracts that. I leave it on for maybe two hours and then rinse it out. I have lots of little grays around my temples and some popping up all over my head.
I like henna because it is natural. It is not harsh to my hair like dyes and rinses. And I like the color it comes out.

I love my dark brown hair (which happens to have natural auburn highlights) so I use amla in my henna/indigo mixture to keep my brown colors. The recipe is on the first link Lisana gave you. :)

I have used the henna and indigo mix in the past but I found that while the rest of my hair turned out dark with a hint of coppery highlights my lil patch of gray hair in the front turned a deep red color. Today I placed an indigo only mix on my hair and I hope it turns the red patch black or close to it - wish me luck :yep:

Good Luck!:yep: That's what I am scared about using henna- the possible color variations and not being able to make the color consistent from use to use...

I love henna for covering grays. I didn't want to go back to semi-perm or permanent color ever and rinses didn't last long washing my hair twice a week. Henna has been a godsend. It brought back my natural dark color I hadn't seen in years, as well as highlights the grays with coppery color. I love that the color never leaves the strands, it just grows out from my scalp.

Ya'll are gonna get me to try it. I am gonna check out MedMunkys pics, too-

Ok!! I wash my hair twice a week as well and the semipermanent colors just wash right on out. What's your henna mixture?

Back