NEWBIE IN DESPERATE NEED OF HELP PLZ READ!

LadyAmani

Hi everyone my name is Lin short for Lindsay. Ive been lurking on here for a while and i have gotten some great advice but my hair is still continuing to break off no matter what i do, I realize this may be happening bc i would relax every month and i would relax my whole head even the previously relax hair and ive been doing that for years, i kno bad :wallbash: but its to the point where everytime i even touch my hair it breaks because its so weak. I tried extreme protein treatments that didnt work just broke my hair off even more. So i tried to do extreme moisture i cowash daily with HE Hello Hydration in i deepcondition 2x a week but still breaking. So i think i should cut my hair down to my new growth which is only about two inches and start all over. What do you guys think? should i do it ?

Personally, I wouldn't, unless you are comfortable with really short hair.
I would accept the fact that the over-processed hair is a lost cause, and it's either going to break off or get cut off, but keep babying it and trying to keep it on your head for as long as possible, giving your roots time to grow out and get longer, so that when you do cut off all of the overprocessed hair, you'll have more healthy hair to work with.

I did something similar with color - it was breaking off horribly, but I dealt with it until I had enough color-free hair to be comfy in cutting off the colored ends - and I still think I did it about 3-5 months too early.

I would try a salon quality conditioner or Roux porosity control shampoo and conditioner for a few weeks.

Best of luck.

Deep condition weekly (or more) and low manipulation styles.
Boring, but they really do help the hair's health.

Deep condition weekly (or more) and low manipulation styles.
Boring, but they really do help the hair's health.

I think these ladies have given good advice, along with just letting it grow until you have more healthy hair to work with, then snipping off all the damanged hair :)

Co siging what JustKiya said. Baby your damaged ends till your natural hair is long enough :yep:

This may not be what you want to hear, but I'll give you my opinion.

Your hair sounds damaged beyond helping. I honestly don't think that your current strands can be brought back to health or thickened. You will have to just baby those strands until your hair is long enough where you can cut off the damaged parts.

If it were my situation, I would just BC and start over and relax when I get enough length (if that is your plan).

Take the gentle approach. Use all natural until your hair builds up to be strong enough to take on other products. Sometimes using things in it's pure form can really help. Your hair really doesn't need the weight of fillers and other stuff. I would co wash daily with coconut milk and olive oil(or honey) and seal with olive oil or coconut oil. On the weekends I would do hooded dryer DC's with egg whites(pure protein), just rinse in cold water so the egg whites don't cook in your hair and tangle it. I know this might not seem logical but to get your hair back right I feel you need to go back to basics. Hope you find the right answer!

ETA~ aloe vera gel is a good reconstructor in my book. It has healing qualities and has a light protein property which I think helps rebuild broken down protein bands in the hair shaft. Just my observation from MY hair.

Both of these suggestions seem great to me. Also, make sure you are babying your hair not just when you wash and style it. That includes wearing a silk/satin scarf/bonnet at night (not cotton or polyester--which will dry your hair out), try protective styles like buns (that are low maintenance and don't require a lot of hair manipulation--which could cause you more breakage).

Good luck to you. :hug2:

Personally, I wouldn't, unless you are comfortable with really short hair.
I would accept the fact that the over-processed hair is a lost cause, and it's either going to break off or get cut off, but keep babying it and trying to keep it on your head for as long as possible, giving your roots time to grow out and get longer, so that when you do cut off all of the overprocessed hair, you'll have more healthy hair to work with.

I did something similar with color - it was breaking off horribly, but I dealt with it until I had enough color-free hair to be comfy in cutting off the colored ends - and I still think I did it about 3-5 months too early.

I would try a salon quality conditioner or Roux porosity control shampoo and conditioner for a few weeks.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the advice ladies, i decided im not going to relax my hair anymore, im going to let it grow out a bit more (im in braids) then do a big chop bc there is no saving this hair lol

This may not be what you want to hear, but I'll give you my opinion.

Your hair sounds damaged beyond helping. I honestly don't think that your current strands can be brought back to health or thickened. You will have to just baby those strands until your hair is long enough where you can cut off the damaged parts.

If it were my situation, I would just BC and start over and relax when I get enough length (if that is your plan).

I completely agree...

I agree with JustKiya and naturalgurl. It's worth fighting for until you grow it out some. Have you tried the ORS Replenishing packs? Also, make sure you moisturize and baggie your ends every night. This has been a life saver for me. These stopped my breakage because I too used to overprocess my hair with relaxers. Good luck.

I would start co-washing everyday and deep treatments weekly with heat...
no heat, no chemicals.... your hair needs a break big time...
get some half wigs and phony ponies and be careful of your edges

Back