Newbie: I flat iron almost everday. Am I killing my hair?

Bella_Atl

Hi!! I'm a newbie to this board. I've been lurking since July. I LOVE THIS BOARD!! I've been searching the boards for a good heat protectant and I noticed that there is a strong consensus not to flat iron more than once a week.

My hair type is 3a at the crown and in the 2's everywhere else. It was WL until I was 18 (36 now) then I started to color it, bleach highlights, then relax it (all in that order...arrrghh!) So for the past 15 years I have been in the cycle of ruining my hair, cutting it all off, getting weaves, growing it out and the starting it all over again.

After a 2 inc pixie cut in Jan 2007 and finding LHCF, I decided to take out my weave this past August and give a go at taking care of my own hair. My hair had never been healthier!! I'm at full APL. (Had to chop off 4 inches of split ends and bad perm) I DC (never did that) Bought a steamer(I love it more than my man) Roller set, saran wrap, etc. Everything I learned on this board. After trying the Sabino, Henna, and Coconut milk I did throw in the towel and perm my hair.:-( But I did it correctly this time with ORS..thanks LHCF!

My only vice is that darn flat iron. I hate wrapping my hair. It's too flat and I think it was causing one side to thin. Also, I sweat in my sleep (I think it's pre-menopause) I tried the cross wrap. It made my hair fall weird. No swing just flat. I bought satin pillow case, and in the morning I just flat iron whatever "bends" or waves I have from sleeping and keep it moving. I do wash twice a week. Roller set, and flat iron, then saran wrap. My hair look really healthy but I'm afraid I might be in for a major set back in a few months if I keep it up. I'm going for BSL. I was thinking since my hair type was leaning more caucasion that was helping. (me in the avatar) Even though I have seen plenty of caucasion women with crunchy jacked up hair too. I have one protective style I like. I ponytail as much as I can. I'm not a bun person at all. Any suggestions on how to keep the straight look without wrapping?

Posting pics soon!

Last edited:
Do a search for pin curls. There are a godsend. Also yes flat ironing your hair everyday will kill it. I see no problem with flat ironing once a week on clean hair but you are asking for trouble everyday flat ironing.

welcome to the board. Happy hair growing! On to your question - have you tried pin curling or even bantu knots to sleep in as opposed to wrapping? Either will give you body.

I am not an anti heat person at all, I will just put that out there. Everyones hair is different, but my hair would not hold up with daily heat, no ma'am. I think you might be setting yourself up for a set back. Hmmmm, it sounds like you have tried all the usual recommendations. What about if you slept with your hair in a high pony- would that work? I would suggest pin curling, but that might give you curls. I hope Fabulosity or Shtow stop in.

My hair is a little past BSL and I pin curl every night and I have body in my hair in the morning. Flat ironing everyday is a sure way to kill your hair of soon. I wash once a week, airdry, and flatiron, then I rock pin curls until my next wash day.

:hiya: welcome! IMHO that is definately too much heat for you hair:nono: if you want body I would suggest you learn how to do a pin curl :grin:
good luck

:welcome4:

Yes, you're setting yourself up for a setback. Like others have said there are many things you can do at night to help keep your style including pincurling, bantu knots (you could just do a few probably), even a bun would probably help keep some waves. You could also do a loose ponytail or bun at night and then use caruso rollers in the morning to add some curl and body to your hair. They use steam heat so you'd probably like them.

And I know old habits die hard so at the very least if you're going to flat iron, use a heat protectant first and turn down the temperature.

Welcome!!!

Pre menopause? You're only 36! LOL

If your hair type is truly closer to White than a 4 type, you're probably not doing as much damage w/ a flat iron IF you're using some sort of heat protectant and something w/ a bit of oil OR silicones in it.

Most White chicks w/ really jacked hair are also dyed much lighter than their natural color in addition to heat styling. Since you don't bleach, that's in your favor. The once a week thing is because most people here have a more delicate texture, low 3s-4. Most of them, their hair would simply break off. You have a higher margin of error for heat, within reason.

Frankly, your hair is already quite straight, so it's bone straight you're going for? If you can get it on low temps, you have a far better chance of making it work for you w/ your texture.

BTW, I like Sunsilk's Heat Protectant and their TLC moisturizer. This combo might be nice for you and it's inexpensive.

Last edited:
Welcome to LHCF!!!!

Do a search for pin curls. There are a godsend. Also yes flat ironing your hair everyday will kill it. I see no problem with flat ironing once a week on clean hair but you are asking for trouble everyday flat ironing.

:yep: That was going to be my suggestion. Any time you can go with less heat the better.

Also, you might just have to change your mindset regarding your how your hair looks for a while. It may not be as straight as you want it while it gets healthier. But as the health improves, you will be amazed at the styles you can achieve w/o the heat. Your hair grade is much closer to my siblings than to mine, but I never though I could go w/o heat and still get my hair neat and achieve that straight look. But I can now achieve that look w/o ANY heat (direct or indirect). Or I can get amazing body with just pin curls or a roller set and the right products, particularly if you are relaxing as well. Just be patient and TAKE LOTS OF PICS. Even if you don't post them. This way you can see your progress.

:whyme:
Welcome!!!

Pre menopause? You're only 36! LOL

If your hair type is truly closer to White than a 4 type, you're probably not doing as much damage w/ a flat iron IF you're using some sort of heat protectant and something w/ a bit of oil OR silicones in it.

Most White chicks w/ really jacked hair are also dyed much lighter than their natural color in addition to heat styling. Since you don't bleach, that's in your favor. The once a week thing is because most people here have a more delicate texture, low 3s-4. Most of them, their hair would simply break off. You have a higher margin of error for heat, within reason.

Frankly, your hair is already quite straight, so it's bone straight you're going for? If you can get it on low temps, you have a far better chance of making it work for you w/ your texture.

BTW, I like Sunsilk's Heat Protectant and their TLC moisturizer. This combo might be nice for you and it's inexpensive.

I agree. I think my hair type has allowed me to get by this far. My natural hair is 3a at the crown (curly and frizzy) and 2 everywhere else (wavy) It's hard to style mixed hair like that so I use a relaxer. I leave it in a total of 5 min. So I'm not looking for bone straight hair just consistant hair. Retaining length has never been a problem for me. I think my hair actually grows longer that the 1/4' per month. The kicker is I can grow jacked up unhelathy waist length hair easy, but could never grow SL healthy hair on my own.:wallbash:. So for the first time since I was kid I have healthy:grin: APL hair!! Thanks so much everybody. I will give the pin curls a try, the pony tail holders leave dents in my hair and I'll be tempted to flat iron it out..lol.

Oh yeah.. My mom went through menopause at 42. Those night sweats are no joke. I sleep with my ceiling fan on full blast..lol!

Thanks everybody!

When I read the title of this thread I was
dycehr0.gif

Yes! You are! I do think you can get away with flat ironing more often because of the texture of your hair, but everyday is follicle suicide for everybody. I don't recommend it.

If you insist on everyday, a heat protectant (I use Chi Silk Infusion) and a low heat setting would be best.

Good luck!

If your hair texture is a 2, then I wonder if you really a relaxer?

The crown of my hair is a 3a and the sides and the back is a 2. I was one of those babies with the curly top and the slick down sides. Years ago I tried to just relaxed the top of my hair and not the bottom. It looked good until I washed it and then I was a hot mess for months.

Welcome!!! And in short to your question--yes, you are probably killing your hair. :lachen: Well, not really, but you get what we mean. Your hair would probably be 100x healthier if you cut everyday down to like once a week. But then again, you're not bald, so if it works for you and your hair isn't breaking, then don't change it.

:needpics:

WELCOME!!

The first picture is when I first took the weave out and I had raggedy (excuse my ebonics) hair. My ends were bad from the old perm.

And the last two I just took today. It's pretty healthy. I got layers cut and cut really short pixie bangs. Like Christina Aquilera. Just to add a little style for my ponytails. I've been flat ironing almost every day since August. But I'm scared I will have a set back. I'm going to try the pin curls tonigt! I'm going for BSL by Spring.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
devil's advocate here: your hair is lovely!! i love those type of bangs-super cute. :grin:
my guess is since you've been doing this since august, and you still have hair on your head and no major complaints so far....it's working for you. :yep:

flat ironing every day will definitely hurt your hair. you may not see the damage, but you've been doing it almost every day since August? no doubt there's some sort of follicular damage inside of your hair strands.

as an alternative, if you have to get your hair straight, why not blow-dry and use a round brush attachment? similar to how they do in the dominican salons, but just on your roots. i think daily brushing & blow drying on low or medium heat would be much healthier for your hair over time than flat ironing. :yep:

Back