Newbie Here! *waves*

JDenni81

Hi Ladies,

I've been reading, and reading and reading your posts and I am so excited to join. :grin: Hopefully I will pick up on all of the acronyms quickly.

I have been relaxer free for two years, however my hair seems to be thinner then when I used to perm it. :sad: I get it blown out at a Dominican salon weekly bc I work out and my hair gets thick at the roots. I really want to grow healthier, stronger, longer, hair. Its barely touching my shoulders now but is very thin on top. I am thinking about getting a sew-in weave to give my hair a break. I even take prenatal vitamins. lol

Help! I look forward to talking to you all soon.

:welcome: to the board :newbie: I was a faithful Dominican Blowout girl...until my hair started thinning...that heat and tension is something serious on the hair! I'm sure the other ladies will chime in and offer suggestions! Again :welcome: :yep: :yep:

Yes, I know it's so bad. But why is it so convenient and cheap? lolol I am not going back though. Thinning hair is NOT cute lol

Yes, I know it's so bad. But why is it so convenient and cheap? lolol I am not going back though. Thinning hair is NOT cute lol

Girl, I know, that's how they get you!!! :lachen: :lachen: And they definitely got me through the long-term transitioning slump...but there is life after the Dominican Salon, I promise!!!!:grin::grin:

Hi Ladies,

I've been reading, and reading and reading your posts and I am so excited to join. :grin: Hopefully I will pick up on all of the acronyms quickly.

I have been relaxer free for two years, however my hair seems to be thinner then when I used to perm it. :sad: I get it blown out at a Dominican salon weekly bc I work out and my hair gets thick at the roots. I really want to grow healthier, stronger, longer, hair. Its barely touching my shoulders now but is very thin on top. I am thinking about getting a sew-in weave to give my hair a break. I even take prenatal vitamins. lol

:welcome4:

The bolded might be the reason why your hair is thinner. Try to minimize your heat use a lot. You can do braid outs, buns, phony ponies, wigs. A sew-in would be beneficial, especially a full head so you don't manipulate your hair at all. You might have heat damage since you use heat a lot, which can thin out your hair. Do you see a lot of breakage? If so I'd advise you do a trim or dusting of some sort. Also did you chop your relaxed ends? How you style your hair (I'm guessing you put it down since you get it blown out) may not be so helpful since you're SL. I'm a newbie also so sorry if you already know this stuff but I HTH(hope that helps).

WELCOME

and yep, what the other ladies said .... Dom Blow out every week ... yowzers !!!!
My scalp couldnt take it.

have fun here ... I kno u will

Welcome!!! I hope you find what you are looking for here :)

As Janet stated there is life after the Dominican Salon lol

I do suggest becoming a DIYer (Do it yourself-er) I work out a lot and still have a need to be fly so I learned how to handle my own locks to cut down on damage and keep myself stylish

Thanks BiBi! No I didn't know this stuff. I am clueless about hair and I have a 6 yo with a head full of curly locks. I just got a trim. When I went natural I never cut off the relaxed locks. I just eventually grew them out. I do seem to have a lot of hair coming out when I comb it. But my hands are constantly in my hair. What is SL? I wear it down everyday. very boring.

I definitely intend to become a DIY-er. I ordered a shampoo and conditioner by Etae. anyone ever heard of that? And I will try the sewn in. I just want my hair back. lol

Thanks for the welcome! So happy to be here.

Thanks BiBi! No I didn't know this stuff. I am clueless about hair and I have a 6 yo with a head full of curly locks. I just got a trim. When I went natural I never cut off the relaxed locks. I just eventually grew them out. I do seem to have a lot of hair coming out when I comb it. But my hands are constantly in my hair. What is SL? I wear it down everyday. very boring.

SL= Shoulder Length
EL= Ear Length
NL= Neck Length
CBL= Collarbone Length
APL= Arm Pit Length
BSB= Below Shoulder Blade
BSL= Bra Strap Length
MBL= Midback Length
WL= Waist Length
HL= Hip Length
TBL= Tailbone Length

Last edited:

I'm glad I could help. SL is for shoulder length. Try to see if the hairs coming out of your comb have the white bulb or not. If it does then it's shedding which is normal, well depends how much you shed lol. If it doesn't have the bulb then that means it's breakage which is not good. Try to hide your hair, the ends especially like bun it or something.

SL= Shoulder Length
EL= Elbow Length
NL= Neck Length
CBL= Collarbone Length
APL= Arm Pit Length
BSB= Below Shoulder Blade
BSL= Bra Strap Length
MBL= Midback Length
WL= Waist Length
HL= Hip Length
TBL= Tailbone Length

I think that's supposed to be a typo EL- Ear Length

Welcome JDenni81,

I had my hair blown out by the dominicans one time since being natural and it caused me a mini setback:nono:. I loved how my hair was so flowy and just blowing in the frickin' wind but the splits ends and the slight heat damage from that wasn't worth it. I can actually see a person's hair getting thinner gradually by having this done weekly.

I suggest stopping the blowouts for awhile and boosting your protein and moisture treatments.

yes you are so right. my hair is so thin. I stare at it in the mirror and it feels "see through" in the middle.

Will do on the protein treatments! Thanks

just welcoming you to the forum!!!

i havent been to the dominicans since i've been natural, and i'm scared to go even once because of the risk of heat damage...b4 my healthy hair journey when i was relaxed i used to let them fry my hair with no problem lol, but even then i would never go more than once evry 2 weeks...your hair is a trooper if its still on your head at all after weekly dominican blowouts lol...good luck on your hair journey!

Welcome JDenni. I have never had a Dominican Blowout, but I used to straighten my hair every day with a hot comb--talk about heat damage and thin hair. Since I joined LHCF, I have really learned how to care for my hair. The best thing you can do for your hair is take your time in finding what works for your hair. As your hair goes through the various stages of health and growth, you will need different products, but patience is the key. With proper care and handling, your hair will get thicker and longer. HTH (Hope This Helps).

Hi Ladies,

:wave: Hey girl. If you want to wean off of the Dominican blow outs, and still want to maintain your roots while working out, try the scarf method. Silky scarves lay the roots down. Or wear a high pony, with the hair rolled with a pin.

Invest in some Caruso steam rollers. You can use them daily, and never damage your hair. The steam will add moisture while curling it. When I use to work, there was a gym on site and I worked out midday, I would add a few Carusos to my ends, if I wanted my ends bumped. And by the time, I showered and dressed, the hair would be back to its bounce.

Back