Newbie Here...I Have To Cut It All Off...I Need a Bit of Encouragement...

Trillion

Hello ladies,

I haven't been here very long, but I've learned a lot from all of you. About 1 1/2 years ago, I went to a beautician who permed my hair, and her shampoo tech ruined it. Right after the perm the tech took a plastic brush and SCRUBBED my head. When I got up I could feel my hair was thinner. From that point on I have experienced considerable breakage. My aunt is a beautician and she does my hair every two weeks and shes been using protein shampoo and reconstructor and I've been taking hair vitamins but nothing is helping it. She said the next time I get a retouch she's going to have to cut it to shoulder length. Right now its a little bit above my shoulder blade.

I really want to cry right now but I understand it has to happen or else I will be bald. My hair has been twice as thick as it is right now.

Can I ever expect this broken hair to grow back and my hair to thicken up? I know hair grows about 1/2 inch a month, I'm going to work dilligently to get it back to my desired length within 1 1/2 years time with proper care.

Thanks for listening and I look forward to your comment and encouragement.

If you were born with thick hair, trust me it will get back thick. I have used all types of hair dyes and perms. I remember I dyed my hair six times in two days to get the right color. When that didn't work I mixed clorox bleach with conditioner thinking that would lighten it. To make a long story short, my hair was so thin it looked like a mohawk in the middle. I started using the profectiv hair grease and it thickened back up in 6 months.

If you were born with thick hair, trust me it will get back thick. I have used all types of hair dyes and perms. I remember I dyed my hair six times in two days to get the right color. When that didn't work I mixed clorox bleach with conditioner thinking that would lighten it. To make a long story short, my hair was so thin it looked like a mohawk in the middle. I started using the profectiv hair grease and it thickened back up in 6 months.

Oh my goodness! Thank you for your story its very encouraging. I'm glad you got your hair back. And thank you for the product I will check it out.

This is the second time she would have had to cut my hair. The first time was back in 2000. She cut it to chin length and it took years to get it back to the length I want. My aunt is a bit scissor happy also. She swears that cut hair grows faster.

As of now I don't want to go through this anymore. Permed hair eventually gets damaged and will have to be cut. And I don't want to have a perm forever. I might just go ahead and shave it completely off and try to grow dreadlocks...

I am better with taking care of my hair now, but girl I use to do some stuff to my hair. Currently it is cut like my Avatar, and I have dye in it now but it always thickens right back up. If you could do your own perms and trim only 1-2 times a year and you will notice a big difference.

im happy to know my hair will thicken too. i use to have very thick hair. i had a mishap with bleach and my hair is half as thick as it use to be. its been a year since then but i just started taking care of my hair this year so i wish that by the end of next summer my hair is thicker.

i dont think you NEED to cut your hair. just continue to deep condition atleast once a week. and add moisture instead of just protein.

Have you thought about NOT cutting it and NOT perming it for a while? Maybe do a mini-transition while hiding your hair maybe wigs or straw sets etc until you get to a length you're more comfortable with?

AND short hair is not a death wish. As long as you have confidence, you can rock a skin fade and be fly. Cancer patients do it every day.

I'm sure your hair will regrow, don't worry. And good luck with your decision!

Have you thought about NOT cutting it and NOT perming it for a while? Maybe do a mini-transition while hiding your hair maybe wigs or straw sets etc until you get to a length you're more comfortable with?

AND short hair is not a death wish. As long as you have confidence, you can rock a skin fade and be fly. Cancer patients do it every day.

My new growth gets very thick and sore, and my hair will shed more so when its time for a retouch. I am thinking about wearing different scarfs while in the regrowth period.
I don't have an aversion toward short hair, but its disheartening when it takes so long to get to a desired length just to get set back eight years.

Chebaby when you say add moisture what would you suggest? I've been drinking more water but I've had a hard time finding a good moisturizer.

I had a set back which let my hair thin as well. Like Mrs. Shakira stated, it will thicken back up. I had SL hair and cut it back to Ear Level hair, cause it looked to thin, however my hairdresser told me I didn't have to cut my hair, I chose to. SO make sure its your decision. As you know, cutting is not the final answer, exhaust all your mean first before taking the sissors. Since I was born I had thick hair, I couldn't stand the sight of looking in the mirror and seeing gaps. Sometimes I regret cutting my hair, but a year later, its longer and back to the thickness. Make sure its what you want to do, not anyone else.

I had a set back which let my hair thin as well. Like Mrs. Shakira stated, it will thicken back up. I had SL hair and cut it back to Ear Level hair, cause it looked to thin, however my hairdresser told me I didn't have to cut my hair, I chose to. SO make sure its your decision. As you know, cutting is not the final answer, exhaust all your mean first before taking the sissors. Since I was born I had thick hair, I couldn't stand the sight of looking in the mirror and seeing gaps. Sometimes I regret cutting my hair, but a year later, its longer and back to the thickness. Make sure its what you want to do, not anyone else.

Thank you so much. I feel you when you say you hated looking in the mirror and seeing gaps! That exactly how I feel but I'm not ready for the big cut. I really have to get mentally prepared for it. I'll talk to her and tell her not yet, I want to hold off until the beginning of the year, because right now its really not my decision.

Your hair is so beautiful its amazing that you went through a setback. Its inspirational.

Thank you so much. I feel you when you say you hated looking in the mirror and seeing gaps! That exactly how I feel but I'm not ready for the big cut. I really have to get mentally prepared for it. I'll talk to her and tell her not yet, I want to hold off until the beginning of the year, because right now its really not my decision.

Your hair is so beautiful its amazing that you went through a setback. Its inspirational.

Thank you.

Im glad you decided not to cut yet. Especially if you not ready yet and its not your decision. Nothing worst than doing something that you don't want to do. For now just wear protective stylesand co wash more. You will be good, and when and if you do decide to cut, it won't be as drastic. You will be good.

Every 5 to 6 weeks, depending on the rate of new growth. I'm not sure how to stretch it without experiencing more breakage.

Every time add 1 week more to your regular time between touch ups. So next time you relax. Do it at 7 weeks. You need to increase the frequency of your washes. Some of us here wash 1 to 2 times a week. We also Deep condition with every wash. this makes the New growth softer and easy to manage.

To prevent breakage you need to make sure you moisturize your ends and your line of demarcation ( where the relaxed and new growth meets). Use protective styling such as buns, braids, twists and braid outs. Reduce the amount of combing and brushing you do. Detangle only in the shower with lots of conditioner on your hair.

There is a relaxer stretcher support thread here. It is of great help.

Every time add 1 week more to your regular time between touch ups. So next time you relax. Do it at 7 weeks. You need to increase the frequency of your washes. Some of us here wash 1 to 2 times a week. We also Deep condition with every wash. this makes the New growth softer and easy to manage.

To prevent breakage you need to make sure you moisturize your ends and your line of demarcation ( where the relaxed and new growth meets). Use protective styling such as buns, braids, twists and braid outs. Reduce the amount of combing and brushing you do. Detangle only in the shower with lots of conditioner on your hair.

There is a relaxer stretcher support thread here. It is of great help.

I think one of my biggest problems was not washing my hair in between biweekly trips to the beauty shop. I started regularly washing it the week between going there with the ovation package about 2 months ago, but breakage increased and I didn't add a garlic supplement. I'm now using aphogee products especially the 2 minute reconstructor.I will be reading through the thread you noted, Thank you for your suggestions.

I forgot to mention about the cutting, that my aunt said the bottom portion of my hair is just limp and thats the reason she wants to cut it. Could this be the cause of my breakage issue? Is this hair "useless"?

Last edited:
I think one of my biggest problems was not washing my hair in between biweekly trips to the beauty shop. I started regularly washing it the week between going there with the ovation package about 2 months ago, but breakage increased and I didn't add a garlic supplement. I'm now using aphogee products especially the 2 minute reconstructor.I will be reading through the thread you noted, Thank you for your suggestions.

Have you used anything moisturizing at all? Aphogee and Ovation. Thats a lot of protien. You need to balance the protein with moisture.

I use Mega tek. I use a moisturizing conditioner to DC and I take the garlic pills. They help. I have had little shedding.

Biolage Hydratherapie, Kenra, Kera care humecto. There are a lot of them out there. Be careful not to get a protein conditioner. If you overload on protein you risk breakage.

Biolage Hydratherapie, Kenra, Kera care humecto. There are a lot of them out there. Be careful not to get a protein conditioner. If you overload on protein you risk breakage.

Last question :grin: May I ask what is your regimen? You're using megatek...are you DC once a week and using megatek once a week?

Welcome Trillion!

I have been there and trust me you hair will gain the thickness back. LongDayinThePark gave you some great tips in her post above.
What moisturizing conditioner do you use?
You need a deep conditioning treatment STAT. Please don't tell me that your aunt who is a beautician, is using a protein poo and treatment on your hair (along with the OCT you apply) but is not deep conditioning your hair :blush:

You need to make sure that use a regular conditioner as well as a DEEP conditioning treatment and if you are using OCT I would also use a daily moisturizer.

My new growth gets very thick and sore, and my hair will shed more so when its time for a retouch. I am thinking about wearing different scarfs while in the regrowth period.
I don't have an aversion toward short hair, but its disheartening when it takes so long to get to a desired length just to get set back eight years.

Chebaby when you say add moisture what would you suggest? I've been drinking more water but I've had a hard time finding a good moisturizer.
when i say moisture i mean instead of her only washing and conditioning with protein she should use a moisturizing shampoo and deep conditioner. if you are on a budget then silk elements has the best shampoo and deep conditioner for moisture. also always use a leave in and heat protectant(assuming you use heat). if your hair is constantly breaking its prolly from too much protein. cutting hair does not make it grow. please dont believe that. if you start deep conditioning with a moisturizing deep conditioner your hair will get thicker and grow in healthier(assuming you are doing other things right, like tying hair at night, moisturizing and sealing ect).

other deep conditioners:
aubrey organics honeysuckle rose (can be found at vitamine shopp)
ORS olive oil pack

moisturizing shampoos:
elasta qp (found at cvs)
silk elements (found at sally's)

oil:
coconut oil
olive oil
any natural oil
castor oil

daily moisturizer:
elasta qp mango butter
ORS olive oil moisturizer bothe found at cvs

my fave daily moisturizers are jane carter nourish and shine. i also use and love keracare cream hairdress. i usually seal with coconut oil. i wash with WEN sweet almond mint but thats a litle pricey. and i deep condition with nexuss humectress every week.

Last question :grin: May I ask what is your regimen? You're using megatek...are you DC once a week and using megatek once a week?

I DC 2 to 3 times a week. Ico wash Daily. I use MT 3 times a week. I make sure I moisturize my hair daily and seal in moisture with Coconut, grapeseed or JBCO ( Jamaican black castor oil). I stretch get a touch up every 2x a year. I only comb in the shower with conditioner on hair and water running. I use to be the 4 to 6 weeks girl. With that my hair never got past chin length. Like Noir said we have all been there. Im in recovery for fried color treated hair . My ends have the last of the color in it. In December I plan to trim 1 inch off.

Please be sure to sleep on a silk or satin pillow case. Always sleep with a silk or satin scarf. Keep those end from rubbing on your clothes thats how hair breaks. You want to make it past shoulder protect those ends.

Last edited:
I agree with those who have said to increase your moisture.

I believe the protein is definitely the issue. Just as hair can break because it needs protein, it can break because it's had too much of it too.

I also agree with the ladies on trying to stretch your relaxers out and on styles you can try.

Since you have so much breakage I would say cut the protein out for a little while. Also, I personally prefer getting my hair back on track myself before I let anyone else style it or anything. So, if I were in your situation, I would step up my moisturizing and cut out the protein, and only use it when I got my relaxer, and as needed in between relaxers, which I would believe should not be more often than every two weeks at the most. And still, whenever I used protein, I would follow with moisture. The products the other ladies mentioned are all good.

I also love the Elasta QP Mango Butter. It's one of my staples.

co-signing. I am suffering from trichorrhexis nodosa and will be cutting my hair within the next couple of weeks to a skin fade. I plan on wearing wigs until my hair obtains more length.

when i say moisture i mean instead of her only washing and conditioning with protein she should use a moisturizing shampoo and deep conditioner. if you are on a budget then silk elements has the best shampoo and deep conditioner for moisture. also always use a leave in and heat protectant(assuming you use heat). if your hair is constantly breaking its prolly from too much protein. cutting hair does not make it grow. please dont believe that. if you start deep conditioning with a moisturizing deep conditioner your hair will get thicker and grow in healthier(assuming you are doing other things right, like tying hair at night, moisturizing and sealing ect).

other deep conditioners:
aubrey organics honeysuckle rose (can be found at vitamine shopp)
ORS olive oil pack

moisturizing shampoos:
elasta qp (found at cvs)
silk elements (found at sally's)

oil:
coconut oil
olive oil
any natural oil
castor oil

daily moisturizer:
elasta qp mango butter
ORS olive oil moisturizer bothe found at cvs

You are great. I definitely think I'm experiencing a protein overload. Today I purchased the silk elements moisturizing conditioner and leave-in cream. I am still searching for a staple daily moisturizer. I tried the elasta qp mango butter before and even with a small application it made my hair pretty hard. I also tried the aloe vera and glycerin mix...maybe I couldn't get the mixture right but it also made my hair hard. I have been using wild growth oil. Do you think its as good as any natural oil?

I DC 2 to 3 times a week. Ico wash Daily. I use MT 3 times a week. I make sure I moisturize my hair daily and seal in moisture with Coconut, grapeseed or JBCO ( Jamaican black castor oil). I stretch get a touch up every 2x a year. I only comb in the shower with conditioner on hair and water running. I use to be the 4 to 6 weeks girl. With that my hair never got past chin length. Like Noir said we have all been there. Im in recovery for fried color treated hair . My ends have the last of the color in it. In December I plan to trim 1 inch off.

Please be sure to sleep on a silk or satin pillow case. Always sleep with a silk or satin scarf. Keep those end from rubbing on your clothes thats how hair breaks. You want to make it past shoulder protect those ends.

Ya know for years I have worn my hair straiight and that may have lots to do with my ends not being strong. My aunt trims my ends every time I get a retouch so I never see any growth pass APL. I have been sleeping with silk scarf but not a silk pillowcase.

Girl read this STAT! Sounds like your aunt is using waaaaay too much protein. She should know better.:nono:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html

Thank you for the link! I need to learn how to correctly moisturize my hair.
Welcome Trillion!

I have been there and trust me you hair will gain the thickness back. LongDayinThePark gave you some great tips in her post above.
You need a deep conditioning treatment STAT. Please don't tell me that your aunt who is a beautician, is using a protein poo and treatment on your hair (along with the OCT you apply) but is not deep conditioning your hair :blush:

You need to make sure that use a regular conditioner as well as a DEEP conditioning treatment and if you are using OCT I would also use a daily moisturizer.

Yep I noticed that my hair gets thinner towards the ends and is still pretty thick towards the middle. So I think its growing back but water doesn't boil if I'm watching it! She does apply a deep conditioner every two weeks when I go to her shop and I sit under the dryer for 15-30 minutes. But a deep condition once every two weeks imay not be enough for my hair. Also she uses heat which I don't really care for. I purchased silk elements moisturizing deep conditioner and I'll began by DC'ing once a week and work toward using it more. Also I've seen results from GNC Nourish hair I've been using for a few months and I got the kyolic garlic I saw you mention in another thread.

Thanks for you help ladies.

This is the second time she would have had to cut my hair. The first time was back in 2000. She cut it to chin length and it took years to get it back to the length I want. My aunt is a bit scissor happy also. She swears that cut hair grows faster.

As of now I don't want to go through this anymore. Permed hair eventually gets damaged and will have to be cut. And I don't want to have a perm forever. I might just go ahead and shave it completely off and try to grow dreadlocks...

I understand that your aunt is a hair dresser, but saying that "cut hair grows faster" is simply not true. Your hair grows from the roots and cutting it is not going to make it grow faster. Have you thought about taking more of your hair care on yourself? You may be surprised at how well your hair thrives once you take a more do-it-yourself approach.

Permed hair doesn't have to be damaged, but if you are really tired of the perms, I would do what some of the other ladies suggested and start transitioning or at least stretch for a while so you can think about what you want to do and give yourself time to research what may work for you.

Have you thought about NOT cutting it and NOT perming it for a while?

This really will help!! Please try stretching your relaxer longer than 5-6 weeks.

Every 5 to 6 weeks, depending on the rate of new growth. I'm not sure how to stretch it without experiencing more breakage.

There are ideas all over this site, from rollersetting to bunning, updos, wigs, and braidouts. I don't know how you wear your hair, but being relaxed doesn't mean wearing your hair down and straight all the time.

Good luck, I'm sure that everything will work out!

Hi, I'm a newbie too and am experiencing a lot of breakage. It all started with the MEGATEK..i dont know if I was using it wrong or what it was but my hair did not agree with it at all. I tried it twice and then had to stop. The breakage and shedding was unbelievable and although I was warned about it I couldn't stand the hair loss, so I just decided to experience growth the old fashioned way...with patience. (I wish it worked for me, but it didnt. )Anyway, although I am no longer use the megatek I still am experiencing breakage and a little shedding.

So you ladies can better assess my problem, this is what I usually did with my hair before using megatek.

Deep condition on dry hair with aubrey organics honeysuckle rose for about 45 minutes then wash it out with creme of nature detangling shampoo. I then add in giovanni leave in detangle and air dry and add cantu daily shea butter oil moisturizer (mixed with castor oil and olive oil) I then use more castor oil to seal everything in.

AFTER MEGATEK..i went back to the same regimen but the breakage continued so last week I deep conditioned on dry hair with Aubrey Organics GPB, then i shampood with CON. I then applied Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor, washed that out, then applied aubrey organics honeysuckle rose for moisture, washed that out, detangled, applied my giovanni leave in, air dried and moisturized with my cantu shea butter mixture. I have to admit, my hair "feels" better but I am still experiencing SIGNIFICANT breakage. Literally, everytime I touch my hair, their are little hairs coming out. I dont know what to do. I'm so scared...:O

Is there a flaw in my regimen that you ladies see? Should I try something else? I am just very worried that all the progress that I have made will be negated by all this foolish breakage. Please help me somebody...:(

Last edited:
Back