Newbie here!...Having lots of problems.

swtgalnj

First I just wanted to say hi to all. I've been peeping around for a long time and just decided to join. I'm used to getting perms every 6-8 weeks but the past two times I've decided to stretch. My last perm I went 12 weeks and right now I'm at 16 weeks. I decided to wash my hair last night, which I do every week or so and it was a nightmare. I'm just barely brastrap and sooooo much hair came out during the whole process. My deep con silicon mix was my only saving grace that allowed me to comb through all the new growth. I assume my hair is 4a/b. After I washed it I had no idea what to do with it.

Basically I need some advice on air drying. I blow dried and flat ironed and broken and shedded hairs were all over the sink. It was so dry and brittle after blowdrying i decided to kill it with some more heat by using my chi. I know I did some serious damage.

What airdrying techniques do you guys use??? I feel like I just took a giant step backwards in my attempt to have healthy hair.

Don't blow dry! I'm a newbie too but I have found that when I strech the blow dryer + comb is not my friend. I just let it air dry free and then flat iron it. It reduces heat damage and shedding. Also, I have found that bantu knots and twist outs are better for my hair at that point in a strech. I manipulate the hair while it is still wet and easy to work with and then finger comb it after it dries. I don't see that many hairs in the sink with this method. I'm a 4a/4b too. Hope this helps!

swtgalnj said:
First I just wanted to say hi to all. I've been peeping around for a long time and just decided to join. I'm used to getting perms every 6-8 weeks but the past two times I've decided to stretch. My last perm I went 12 weeks and right now I'm at 16 weeks. I decided to wash my hair last night, which I do every week or so and it was a nightmare. I'm just barely brastrap and sooooo much hair came out during the whole process. My deep con silicon mix was my only saving grace that allowed me to comb through all the new growth. I assume my hair is 4a/b. After I washed it I had no idea what to do with it.

Basically I need some advice on air drying. I blow dried and flat ironed and broken and shedded hairs were all over the sink. It was so dry and brittle after blowdrying i decided to kill it with some more heat by using my chi. I know I did some serious damage.

What airdrying techniques do you guys use??? I feel like I just took a giant step backwards in my attempt to have healthy hair.

I airdry in a bun as quite a few other ladies here. Some dry in a ponytail with a roller wrapped around the ends of your hair.

There's lots of different techniquies that you can try, most important through because you're stretching your relaxer, make sure you use a leave-in moisterizer after you wash/rinse your hair. This will help keep the moisture in. in my case, I use carefree curl gold. Plenty of other ladies use different things, but me personally use a water based moisterizer on my hair first.

after that I detangle (gently) with a k-cutter. If you have a wide comb that works too, but take your time, your hair will thank you.

Some ladies here detangle with their fingers. In my case I can't do it, my hair just ain't going for it. But its always worth a try because it does work for some (it may also work for you too)

Then seal the moisture with an oil. it really dosen't take much at all. I use a mix of different oils which I'm constantly messing around with. once you seal it, use the drying method of your choice. its worth trying out a couple to see what works or dosen't work.

I personally like the bunning method because I can just wash and go when I need to (plus, its not a biggie if its wet) and no waiting for my hair to dry before I leave the house.

You can also try putting it in a ponytail and using mesh rollers on the ends. Some ladies do this as an overnight method.

Unfortunately the search feature is down but theres tons of great folki's to go through sylver has a good one for laying down new growth.

welcome and hopefully I've helped a little

-A

Thanks for the replies...they helped out a lot. I'm definately going to do away with my blowdryer. Next week I'll attempt to do the bun method or a braid out...but this new growth is something serious. I'm also going to try to chill out with the combing...it seems as though it does more harm than good. I guess trial and error is the only way to find out which method is right for me.

welcome! your breakage problem might be cause by the long stretch. i don't stretch more than 12 weeks and i've never had much breakage. i've heard other board members complain of the same problem when they're around 12 weeks post.

I definately think that the stretching and blowdrying accounts for the breaking i experience while washing my hair. However, the time between my washes i experience no breaking and little shedding. At this point I'm not exactly sure why I'm stretching. I guess I'm expecting to see some change in length when I eventually relax. ehh, but i'll see..i'm trying not build my hopes up.

8.gif
to LHCF, swtgalnj! :wave:

I airdry my hair in a bun and don't use any heat on my hair. I will use heat for deep conditioning, but I wear plastic caps and it doesn't touch my hair.

Would CWashing more help?

I maintain new growth my doing daily cw's. I massage the conditioner into my roots and they are really manageable. As far as air drying, I air dry loose in an hour with naked hair. When it's almost dry I spray it with moisturizer and apply a serum leave in. Tangling isn't a problem, maybe because my hair is so used to the routine... years of CWs have tamed it.

I'm not in a great position to advise though -- as I haven't stretched longer than 8 weeks in years. My next relaxer will be June 15 at 9 weeks (for vacation) then I'll go 10 weeks and hopefully 12 weeks after that.

So, since you're doing 16 weeks :eek: I don't know if my regime would work for you. :confused:

Mestiza said:
8.gif
to LHCF, swtgalnj! :wave:

I airdry my hair in a bun and don't use any heat on my hair. I will use heat for deep conditioning, but I wear plastic caps and it doesn't touch my hair.

Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I'm definately going to try to go without heat for the next two weeks. I'm still wondering whether to do the bun method or the braid out. I guess which ever one requires the least manipulation.

Synthia said:
Would CWashing more help?

I maintain new growth my doing daily cw's. I massage the conditioner into my roots and they are really manageable. As far as air drying, I air dry loose in an hour with naked hair. When it's almost dry I spray it with moisturizer and apply a serum leave in. Tangling isn't a problem, maybe because my hair is so used to the routine... years of CWs have tamed it.

I'm not in a great position to advise though -- as I haven't stretched longer than 8 weeks in years. My next relaxer will be June 15 at 9 weeks (for vacation) then I'll go 10 weeks and hopefully 12 weeks after that.

So, since you're doing 16 weeks :eek: I don't know if my regime would work for you. :confused:

Thanks for the reply. I've read a lot on co-washing on this board. It seems to have a lot of benefits. What type of spray moisturizer and serum do you use? The leave-ins that I have seem to be geared towards setting more than air drying.

Toss your blowdryer- it might be your "broken hairs" culprit. Get a nice, sturdy dome dryer from somewhere like Sally's instead- it certainly worked for me :)

swtgalnj said:
Thanks for the reply. I've read a lot on co-washing on this board. It seems to have a lot of benefits. What type of spray moisturizer and serum do you use? The leave-ins that I have seem to be geared towards setting more than air drying.

I honestly try different products each week because I'm still trying to decide on my staple products.

This week I'm air drying to 80 percent, then applying nutri-ox treatment serum to my scalp. Then I spray with Premier Rehydrant spray (from the makers of Mega Tek ..this really moisturizes for me), then I smooth on the nutri-ox serum throughout my tresses. Sometimes I spray Robert Craig spray shine to seal (but not this week, concerned about build up of cones).

My hair likes this routine. It wouldn't work for my mom though.

Then I do my Caruso Hair set.

Back