Newbie has a henna question

wannabestylist

Sooo I've been lurking for the past few months and using bits of pieces of all of this amazing advice from you ladies. I even jumped on the henna bandwagon. Both times that I've used henna has been from a local indian store (on los feliz for all you LA ladies). However, I find that some of their packages are old or the dates are expired. Since I was in the "little india" area one day I went into a salon that does henna conditioning and henna art. The owner sold me henna out of her plastic tub that she orders in bulk. She assured me that its body art henna and the best. I was thinking about using it this week but now I am wondering should I trust it since I didn't actually see the package?

Hmmm. Interestingly enough - as suspicious of a sista as I am - I would say yeah - use it - but strand test first!!

I would think it's okay as she's a henna artist - and she has a stable, ongoing business, so she wouldn't be ordering no crappy stuff......

ITA with the strand test. Depending on the brand of Henna, there are different lengths of time required for the color to release on each. Are you going for a color change or are you interested in the conditioning benefits only? Here is a great thread on henna that helped me alot www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=104509 and also check out JLove's and Serica's fotki's. They are extremely helpful! HTH.

Last edited:
I never used it either still i dont understand whats the use of using it:confused:
I wish someone would give me a clear understandin or show me step by step of how its used.

Henna is used for it's conditioning qualitites for the hair.

It is all-natural (the body-art-quality *BAQ* kind) and really good for the hair.

It strengthens, thickens, and adds natural color (hilites) to the hair.

Check out JLove's fotki (I think she has one). She has a lot of great info on henna.

I get my henna from ebay, have a simple mix of H2O, henna, oils, & acv, leave the mixture overnite (for color release), apply it the next day, leave on for 2-3 hrs, rinse, shampoo, condish, & that's it.

It is just another form of deep conditioning.

It's one of the best finds (for me) since joining LHCF!

HTH

Thanks ladies! I am going to strand test tom. I have to say though...even though my hair feels good once I condition it does dry my hair out. I had my hair done a few days ago and my stylist commented n how dry my hair felt after she deep conditioned. I think she may have used a protein deep conditioner though. I think with henna you just need moisture since its already kinda of a protein?????:ohwell:

Back