Newbie confused on the various products used for growth...

Vicki in Oregon

Hi everyone. I am new here. I should also say I am caucasion with naturally curly overly processed hair. I read somewhere that this board is for ethnic hair but maybe I can still get some help.

Anyway, I lost about a third of my waist length hair due to breakage from bleach. I cut my hair a foot because it was so thin and still is thin unfortunately. The bleach was done by what turned out to be an unlicensed stylist who said she would do a "bleached 10 hair test strand" when I objected to bleach due to my hair already having been bleached and damaged (told her my entire hair history).

She put my "10 hair test strand" in the foil so fast I did not know she put in so many thick sections. It turned out to be a third of my hair, so about 30,000hairs! NOT 10!

The hair all fell out when I showered. I lost so much I cried and stressed like you all would not believe. The "10 hair test strand"

So anyway, I began searching for ways to get my hair to grow faster, especially since I developed a bald spot in front making it look like my hairline has receded terribly. 2 months and it has not gotten better.

I bought M-T-G but worried about using this stinky stuff because it contains sulfur and sulfur is the main ingredient in color strippers. I dont mind my color fading as I hate the color I have (this the bleach disaster) but worry the sulfur can lead to more breakage since breakage can happen with color removers whcih contain the same ingredient. Any ideas? Also, does it work if you use it as a rinse rather than a leave in?

Right now I take tons of supplements and use Nexxus Vitatress, Biotin Leave in for thin hair, Nioxxin products, Nizoral shampoo, essential oils massaged into my scalp, Jason Hair Elixir and Emu oil. Also I use cayenne pepper on my scalp when I shampoo.

So on this site is says to use Iodine Tincture, Arnica of some sort and a bunch of other things but dont know what I really shoudl use:

http://www.abchomeopathy.com/forum2.php/7521/2

The following 2 sites it says to use yeast infection cream and neosporin but neosporin comes in such small sizes, is there a larger size?

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=84327&highlight=Miconazole+Nitrate

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=1209&highlight=Miconazole+Nitrate

Then there are other topicals like copper peptides, azelaic acid, and super zix (which contains saw palmetto, zinc and something else)

http://www.qdbd.com/hair_loss_treatment_1.htm

Heard that folligen does not have enough copper peptides to work so this guy in the above link makes his own. I wonder if the zinc and saw palmetto which is used as a topical can enter the blood stream the way topical minoxidal does? (I do not take minoxidol)

Anyway, any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:
I dont really have any advice but welcome:) ! I am sure you will get the answer you are looking for from the other ladies:)

Vicki in Oregon said:
Hi everyone. I am new here. I should also say I am caucasion with naturally curly overly processed hair. I read somewhere that this board is for ethnic hair but maybe I can still get some help.

Anyway, I lost about a third of my waist length hair due to breakage from bleach. I cut my hair a foot because it was so thin and still is thin unfortunately. The bleach was done by what turned out to be an unlicensed stylist who said she would do a "bleached 10 hair test strand" when I objected to bleach due to my hair already having been bleached and damaged (told her my entire hair history).

She put my "10 hair test strand" in the foil so fast I did not know she put in so many thick sections.

The hair all fell out when I showered. I lost so much I cried and stressed like you all would not believe. The "10 hair test strand"

So anyway, I began searching for ways to get my hair to grow faster, especially since I developed a bald spot in front making it look like my hairline has receded terribly. 2 months and it has not gotten better.

I bought M-T-G but worried about using this stinky stuff because it contains sulfur and sulfur is the main ingredient in color strippers. I dont mind my color fading as I hate the color I have (this the bleach disaster) but worry the sulfur can lead to more breakage since breakage can happen with color removers whcih contain the same ingredient. Any ideas? Also, does it work if you use it as a rinse rather than a leave in?

Right now I take tons of supplements and use Nexxus Vitatress, Biotin Leave in for thin hair, Nioxxin products, Nizoral shampoo, essential oils massaged into my scalp, Jason Hair Elixir and Emu oil. Also I use cayenne pepper on my scalp when I shampoo.

So on this site is says to use Iodine Tincture, Arnica of some sort and a bunch of other things but dont know what I really shoudl use:

http://www.abchomeopathy.com/forum2.php/7521/2

The following 2 sites it says to use yeast infection cream and neosporin but neosporin comes in such small sizes, is there a larger size?

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=84327&highlight=Miconazole+Nitrate
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=1209&highlight=Miconazole+Nitrate

Then there are other topicals like copper peptides, azelaic acid, and super zix (which contains saw palmetto, zinc and something else)

http://www.qdbd.com/hair_loss_treatment_1.htm

Heard that folligen does not have enough copper peptides to work so this guy in the above link makes his own. I wonder if the zinc and saw palmetto which is used as a topical can enter the blood stream the way topical minoxidal does? (I do not take minoxidol)

Anyway, any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you!
I think you said it all just be consistent with your regimen giving the products a chance to work. Cayenne pepper will really help the regrowth of hair that was loss and you will gain much more. Stimulation is the key to growth this is what you need the most. Keep doing what your are doing be patient, say a prayer and I sure your hair will take off.

But it's not, that's the problem :( 2 months of daily doing what I said I do and nothing. I need to know what to try now. too many things to choose from. Not enough time and $ to try somehting that is less likely to work.

Welcome, newbie.

As long as I been a member here, I have learned that along with various haircare products the key is excellent nutiriton from the inside makes a difference. Taking vitamins like MSM, Biotin, EPO, Flaxseed Oil and a good multi vitamin is essential for excellent hair growth.

Thank you both. I take all those things already plus about a dozen more. I do worry how much my liver can handle. ALso, the EPO I was worried it could mess with my hormones though. Anyone know anything about that? was taking flax lignans too which I stopped for the same reason.

silvergirl said:
just wanted to say welcome as well!

O.K. I will come back to try to comment on the OP's question, but I was too busy looking and laughing at the "Star Jones" episode at the bottom of your post silvergurl..................I'm still :lachen: :lachen:

Hi, and welcome! :)

I don't know much about growth aids, I've never used them but I do know about damaged hair. I had to cut a lot of my hair due to damage from constant heat styling. A good six inches or so...:(

I started a careful regimen of no heat, high quality products (I love Nexxus and Redken. Aveda is also excellent), natural oils and butters, and my hair has grown back. It does take time, I wanted healthy hair more than super growth. You may have to cut all of the damaged hair off. :( It will grow back.

As far as all of the supplements, I would be careful taking too many at once. I believe it takes at least three months of taking some vitamins to see results. Also, if your diet is deficient that could impede your hair growth. Drinking plenty of water is essential. I take Evening Primrose Oil, not for my hair but to reduce cramps during my period and it really does work for that.

Good luck!

Vicki in Oregon said:
Thank you both. I take all those things already plus about a dozen more. I do worry how much my liver can handle. ALso, the EPO I was worried it could mess with my hormones though. Anyone know anything about that? was taking flax lignans too which I stopped for the same reason.

I think you might be overdoing it a bit. Sometimes it is just the little things e.g., a few of the key vitamins, washing, DC and leaving the hair alone that gives you the best result. Taking too many vitamins, stressing over the growth, constant measuring and trying out too many things on the scalf can produce the result you don't want. Damaging your liver to see instant growth is not worth it. My advice is, take a few of the key vitamins (biotin, MSN and a multivitamin), wash and DC a min of 2X per week (since you are caucasian you might wash more often because of oily scalp) and no measuring or stressing about growth for at least 6 weeks. You will be amazed about the difference you will see in your hair after a while. Your hair is growing but because you are so anxious to see a hugh difference now, it looks like it is not growing to you. I guarantee that you hair will be so long in 6 months if you take care of it and leave it alone. Don't overdose on vitamins.......

Welcome!

I dont really know about the topical growth aids but I'd just like to add that:

1) with all of your vitamins you should be drinking tons of water

2) stress can hinder hair growth so just try not to think about the thinning so much

3) are you using harsh shampoos? Perhaps the SLS and SLES in the shampoo is making matters worse. If you dont already, you should condition wash.

Good luck!

I don't measure my hair at all, I see the roots, that is enough to tell how much has grown or in my case how slow it grows (1/2 inch in 2 months, and I *do* know my inches). I am not so concerned about losing a foot of hair as much as I miss the THICKNESS. I can hardly look at it as I can't stand to see the thinning where it is bald in front and on top and I no longer have any bangs in addition to having thinned in other areas due to the unathorized bleach disaster. I may cut back on my supplements but sometimes I think because I am taking as much as it says to take and not more, that the liver should be able to absorb them all because they are different and each serve a purpose. But then again I dont really know unless my liver is checked or I get some other symptoms. That is why I turned to topicals and asked this board which topical has the best reputation. This will enable me to get off some of the internals easier...I HAVE to feel like I am doing something. Anyone know if it is okay to take double your usual iron when on your period? I am anemic and lost a lot of iron because I bleed so heavy and so I take one iron daily but wonder if I should take 2 during my cycle? Iron is toxic so I want to make sure. Thanks!

Vicki in Oregon said:
I don't measure my hair at all, I see the roots, that is enough to tell how much has grown or in my case how slow it grows (1/2 inch in 2 months, and I *do* know my inches). I am not so concerned about losing a foot of hair as much as I miss the THICKNESS. I can hardly look at it as I can't stand to see the thinning where it is bald in front and on top and I no longer have any bangs in addition to having thinned in other areas due to the unathorized bleach disaster. I may cut back on my supplements but sometimes I think because I am taking as much as it says to take and not more, that the liver should be able to absorb them all because they are different and each serve a purpose. But then again I dont really know unless my liver is checked or I get some other symptoms. That is why I turned to topicals and asked this board which topical has the best reputation. This will enable me to get off some of the internals easier...I HAVE to feel like I am doing something. Anyone know if it is okay to take double your usual iron when on your period? I am anemic and lost a lot of iron because I bleed so heavy and so I take one iron daily but wonder if I should take 2 during my cycle? Iron is toxic so I want to make sure. Thanks!

Yes, iron can be very toxic. You should talk to your doctor about taking that much iron.

Have you done any heavy duty protein treatments like ApHogee to build your hair back up (make it thicker)?

Hi thanks. yes I do the Aphogee every 6 weeks and also do the Nexxus emergencee. Not sure how often to do the emergencee though. From what I read my hair needs more moisture than protein based on my hairs symptoms but since it is color treated multiple times I know I lost some protein. Not so sure what to use when. But I did change from salon to mostly natural products that almost never have SLS, no laurel or even laureth sulfates (what is SLES you mentioned) with a couple salon ones I still use but not as much because most are no differnt in ingredients and quality than most drustore ones as far as I am concerned.

Last edited:
Have you tried NuHair Serum on the scalp for thinning areas? How about Surge or Emu Oil? Those are good for thinning scalp.

Hi, thanks. Daily for 2 months I have been using a 100% pure emu oil I bought at Vitamin World. I did look into the Nugrowth topical for women and did wonder if I should try it out. I was curious if the Saw Palmetto in it can get into the bloodstream because Minoxidol the topical *does* get into the blood stream and alter hormones and Saw Palmetto...at least the pill form, can affect hormones. I really worry about messing with my hormones but no one has been able to answer that question yet. If I did have a positive answer I would consider both saw palmetto and nettle root extract in pill form too as they have been proven to help with MPB. Granted I do not have male pattern baldness but I would try it anyway. My Avalon Organics thickening shampoo has saw palmetto as the 2nd ingredient. I use it and like it a lot but I worry about that ingredient...

Back