New Yarn Braids [pics]

Rei

So this is my first try attempting yarn braids, and my second time ever attempting doing any kind of braids at all (the first was an attempt at kinky twists that came out pretty ok). I learned by following BlackOnyx77's tutorial on youtube.

I had to put these in because I was just about ready to strangle my hair. We needed a break from each other before I snapped and came at it with scissors.

me-2.jpg

my hair a day before the yarn braids.

They took me about a week to do (yes, literally a week) mostly because I'm on vacation and I had been lazing about the house all week not even bothering to go outside.:blush: But I finished it by the weekend and had been meaning to make a post ever since.

14571825383_ORIG.jpg

14571825378_ORIG.jpg

I used brown Red Heart Acrylic yarn that I got from a random sewing supply store.

14571825391_ORIG.jpg

I look really tired in this :ohwell: this was taken just after I had finished breathing in all the darn fumes from burning the ends

Image50.jpg

close up of the texture. They look a lot like dreads, which is why I was interested in doing them.

14571825372_ORIG.jpg

someday my hair will be long enough to do this with my pixie braids:drunk:
14571825375_ORIG.jpg

I've been moisturizing them with this variant of African Braid spray that does not contain glycerine, since I live in not-so-humid-right-now NYC and also-not-so-humid-right-now Philadelphia depending on what week it is:rolleyes: I've also been baggying them every night to combat some of the drynesss from the yarn. What I like the best about these braids is that they don't get frizzy, and only start to look messy at the roots. What I dislike about them is that they pick up lint, which is kind of gross.

You are a STRIKING beauty! You did an awesome job!

I L:love:VE yarn braids myself, I love the way they allow you to have the loc'd experience without the commitment....I could see myself rockin this eventually.

Really cute missy! Great Job!!:clapping:

nice! :up:

have you ever thought about dreading? i think they would look nice on you :yep:

also, is the spray successfully combating the dryness? it would seem that the yarn would absorb moisture from your hair something awful

I like that they look a lot like dreads. I've never heard of yarn braid before. Gonna have to check this out on youtube.

looking good girl I have in some myself, that I put in on the 15th because I seen Blackonyx and her vid

You are so BEAUTIFUL!!! Great job on your yarn braids! They are neat and pretty and look great on you :yep:

You did the right thing, before committing an act of violence on your hair :yep:

Those look incredible on you! I agree with other posters, you are strikingly beautiful :)

And to be truthful, I'd probably take a week to style my hair too if I didn't have to leave the house.

You are a STRIKING beauty! You did an awesome job!

I L:love:VE yarn braids myself, I love the way they allow you to have the loc'd experience without the commitment....I could see myself rockin this eventually.

Really cute missy! Great Job!!:clapping:
:blush: Thank you! I love them too! I actually hadn't heard of yarn braids before blackonyx's video and after that I just had to try them out. I like the look of locs but I can barely keep in braids for more than a month so I know there is no way I would be able to stay a loced head. This is a nice compromise.

nice! :up:

have you ever thought about dreading? i think they would look nice on you :yep:

also, is the spray successfully combating the dryness? it would seem that the yarn would absorb moisture from your hair something awful

:grin: My sister has been bothering me about that ever since I got these. I'm glad that these have given me a chance to see how I would look if I ever decided to dread, but I don't think I will. Despite me and my hair's differences, I'm having too much fun as a loose haired natural. I can barely keep in braids for more than a month before I start itching to take them out, so I think locs would drive me crazy!

The dryness issue is one that I have been afraid of. The braid spray...to tell you the truth was like 2.79 so I have no real expectations of it rather than to just give it some quick moisturization and a little protein boost. To really combat the dryness I have been baggying every night and I keep up my weekly DCs (usually I skip a week of washing when I have braids in, but since these don't really get fuzzy, I can wash more often)

Africa%27sBest-BraidSheenSpra.jpg

This is what I have been using.

I like that they look a lot like dreads. I've never heard of yarn braid before. Gonna have to check this out on youtube.
That was what drew me to them! :) Here is the link to the tutorial if you like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZUUKpLOYVA

You are so BEAUTIFUL!!! Great job on your yarn braids! They are neat and pretty and look great on you :yep:

You did the right thing, before committing an act of violence on your hair :yep:

Thanks :grin: You hadn't been helping with my inherent hair dissatisfaction with you showing off your beautiful hair in your BKT threads you know :look: I think after the yarn braids I'll take a leaf out of your book and get a sew in and BKT the leaveout to prevent even further violence:grin:

I love it! What is the brand of spray you use?

Thank you :) I quoted it in my above reply. BlackOnyxx recced care free curl, which is pretty much like S-Curl 2, but I was afraid of the glycerine in the winter, so I just chose a braid spray that didn't have it as the second ingredient. It was really cheap so I'm not expecting much to be honest, I'm relying on baggying and DCing to be my real moisturizer.

:blush::blush: Thank you

Those look incredible on you! I agree with other posters, you are strikingly beautiful :)

And to be truthful, I'd probably take a week to style my hair too if I didn't have to leave the house.
Thank you so much :)

Haha, man this vacation I have been doing nothing but waking up at midday, looking at the yarn, making a face, then watching tv/playing xbox for hours until around 7pm then I grudgingly started, spent about 3 hours and then finally said "bump this" went back to watching tv/playing xbox and went to bed. :yawn: The main reason why it took a week :grin: Eventually my mom had to ask me if I ever planned on finishing my head

I like them they are so pretty!! I've done them before on my hair. I've been thinking about doing them again but I dont feel like takiig them down..

I think I used the red heart yarn too, got it from walmart, but mines didnt look as kinky as yours..what did you do to make them look so real and did you just braid them all the way down and burn the ends? let me know!! PM me if you can:)

I love them. And wow, we got some pretty ladies on this board, glad to be in the company of y'all.

so what's up with a LHCF next top model edition.

I like them they are so pretty!! I've done them before on my hair. I've been thinking about doing them again but I dont feel like takiig them down..

I think I used the red heart yarn too, got it from walmart, but mines didnt look as kinky as yours..what did you do to make them look so real and did you just braid them all the way down and burn the ends? let me know!! PM me if you can:)

sent you a PM! I'm actually a bit worried about the takedown...I heard that they take forever to take down :perplexed Is this what you meant? Normal braids are already hard to take out for me since my hair loves to grab on to any and everything...

Very cute!!!! I want to try this soooo bad!
thanks :) try it! just youtube search blackonyx77 genie locs and she has a step by step tutorial! and some fly styles as well:yep:

Last edited:
Back