New Tip for Dry Hair

camosil

I just came across this bit of info while searching for a good moisturizer. Hope this information will be useful to all LHCFers. I plan on adding it to my regimen, it is simple enough.

How To Treat Dry Hair
Hair normally has a moisture content of approximately 10%. If your hair’s moisture content drops below this level the key is to increase the hair’s ability of attract and retain moisture. This is accomplished by using moisturizers.
Good ones have "humectants" that not only replace lost moisture but actually attract moisture and retain it in the cortex of the hair. Essential fatty aids (EFA’s) are great moisturizers. One of the best and most cost effective essential fatty acids is safflower oil. It is the kind you can buy to cook with. It is rich in EFA’s.
The scalp produces the best EFA’s called sebum. The problems is once the hair grows past the neck line or does not have direct contact with the scalp the scalps natural oils can not be utilized throughout the hair shaft.
You can manually replace the lost EFA’s by:
  • Placing 1 or 2 drops of safflower oil in your palms and rub them together.
  • There should only be enough to make your hands "shine" in the light.
  • Carefully take your hair (while dry) and "scrunch" the small amount of oil to the ENDS first and work toward the scalp.
  • Leave this in your hair.
  • 1-2 drops of safflower oil on dry hair is so small, you won’t notice it is there.
Doing the above as often as necessary will ensure your dry hair will have the proper amount of humectants to attract and reatin moisture. The key is that a small amount will go a long way.

Also ladies if you just click on the dry hair link in blue then it takes you to a site that actually gives long term and short term solutions for overcoming dry hair.

Well I just did a search and came up with these natural humectants and some more.

Want naturally great hair?

The Bite

We’ve all heard that question in TV commercials before. And it’s possible - you really can keep your lovely locks looking lustrous with natural hair care and styling products. So take a look at labels and have a great hair day.
The Benefits

Natural ingredients that enhance your hair’s best qualities and work as effectively as conventional versions:
  • More garden than gasoline. Substitute mineral oil or petroleum-based products with almond, sunflower, and safflower oils, or cocoa butter and lanolin.
  • Instead of the common softening ingredient ethylene glycol (which has been classified as toxic in some government tests), soften your mane with natural humectants such as glycerin, honey, chamomile or sorbitol.
  • Replace your mousse made using DEA (when combined with other chemicals, a potential carcinogen) or triethanolamine (used to make chemical weapons) with one that includes natural foaming agents, like quillaja and yucca saponins or soapwort.
  • Tackle summertime hair woes by avoiding heat styling tools and products with alcohol or formaldehyde that strip hair of moisture.
Personally Speaking

After a day on the trails, Jen unwinds with a deep conditioning treatment - warmed coconut oil. She rubs it into her hair and scalp, wrapping it all in a warm towel and letting it sit for half an hour. All the while watching Will & Grace reruns and sipping wine, of course.
Wanna Try?

Thanks camosil for finding other humectants. :) I am definitely going to give natural humectants a try cuz my hair has been somewhat dry the past few days.

this is exactly why I use Suave Humectress Conditioner as a moisturizer. I know alot of people use Nexxuss Leave in but Suave is just as good and is cheaper.
So many people are sleeping on this.

I'm sorry, but I can't envision what "scrunching" is supposed to mean :confused: Can I get the New Tip for Dry Hair for Dummies version?

What I gather is that it means do not rub the hair between your hands to distribute the oil instead just hold the ends in one hand and just squeeze the hair gently so that the oil is distributed on the hair.

camosil said:
What I gather is that it means do not rub the hair between your hands to distribute the oil instead just hold the ends in one hand and just squeeze the hair gently so that the oil is distributed on the hair.

Thanks, that makes sense. I'll do that tonight when I baggy :D

Below is a shampoo that has natural humectants. Has anyone tried this before and how was it.

98.12% Natural
This wonderfully natural formula starts with Coconut and Sunflower oil to create a cleansing complex that is one of the most effective, gentle, and richly foaming available. Raspberry extract, rich in fatty acids such as Omega-3, combine with Honey, a natural humectants, to intensely moisturize. Brazil Nut oil and What Protein nourish and hydrate, leaving even the most dry, damaged hair naturally soft, silky, and beautiful.
  • pH balanced
  • Sodium Lauryl/Laureth sulfate Free
  • Paraben free
  • Phthalate free
  • Not tested on animals
Ingredients:

Water, Decyl & Lauryl Glucosides (Natural Coconut oil, corn, starch & sugar soap blend), Coco Betaine (Coco Oil Moisturizer), Betaine (Sugar Beet), Honey, Soy Protein, Coco - glucoside & glyceryl oleate, Vegetable Glycerin, Glucose Sugar, Sucrose Laurate, Brazil Nut Oil, Raspberry Extract, Bergamot Oil, Nutmeg Oil, Lime Oil, Tea Tree Oil, Rose Oil, Thyme Oil, Black Surrent oil, Xanthan Gum, Fragrance, Glucose Oxidase & Lactoperoxidase

The Keracare Essential Oils don't include Safflower Oil but the other ingredients are Sunflower Seed Oil, Peanut Oil, Castor Oil, Coconut Oil, Jojoba Oil, Sesame Oil, Aloe Vera Oil, Almond Oil, Olive Oil, Perfume, Propylparaben, and BHA.

This is a great tip. I would like to add if I could that a more economical way of ensuring that your hair and scalp stay moisturized is by taking a EFA supplement. ;)

Great post! Thanks! I don't normally apply oil to my hair whild it's dry but I'll try anythign once...or twice...or three times...:lol: I have a bottle of safflower oil in my stash at home.

chica_canella said:
this is exactly why I use Suave Humectress Conditioner as a moisturizer. I know alot of people use Nexxuss Leave in but Suave is just as good and is cheaper.
So many people are sleeping on this.

ITA: It's one of my favorite conditioners. I like it for CO's, and mixing with oils and aloe vera for daily moisturizing. Great stuff! :)

ETA: My favoirite humectant oils
-castor, inexpensive
-cranberry seed, expensive

Last edited:
Back