New subscriber intro/rant

coracaox

Hey everyone. I am a long time lurker, but have finally subscribed. yay! I have a sort of rant. OK so...

I have been noticing my ends getting thin. And i decided to get a haircut/ trim. i wanted to go to a salon. I have a regular stylist but wanted to try someone new. I was referred to this salon near my house. I was excited because the person who referred me said that they specialize in natural hair. I called the salon and the owner picked up. I just asked usual questions like how much, what is a good day for me to come in etc. She asked me how long my hair was and I told her ( an inch or two above bsl) and she told me it would be $150. In my head I thought WTH that is crazy, but I still kept on because the person who referred the salon said it was amazing. So then I asked how much a trim would be and she said $25. That is just crazy to think washing; blow drying and flat ironing is $125. Then she started telling me how I cannot always depend of flat ironing my hair and that I need to learn how to take care of my natural hair. Who just starts ranting at a potential client like this? She does not even know how I wear my hair and just assumed. So anyway I told her I would come into talk to her. I came in the shop and it looked old, almost grimy. Then the woman looked at my hair and told me in a condescending way that my hair was not that long and that it was not going to be difficult to do. First off it was in a shrunken state so obviously it’s not going to be down my back. OK, this always happens with my hair, people get halfway done and realize they have a lot more hair then they thought and try to charge more. So I reluctantly made the appt. But then I realize that this woman uses her own products they have no silicone, mineral oil, petroleum, or anything. I think this is great but not for my thin strands. So I called back just to find out what heat protectant they use. And the receptionist told me they use an oil blend of shea butter and argan oil. What? Argan oil does not protect my hair from heat. I know from experience. Then the receptionist assures me that its safe and blah blah. I told her I wanted to cancel my appt and she said hold on I will get the owner. So the owner comes on the phone and starts yelling at me about how I don't know about hair products and how I don't need silicones and how I only think I need silicones bc I wear a scarf(I'm Muslim). she then tells me she does not need headaches so she will just cancel my appt.
Who talks to people who are about to give you money like this?
Anyway does anyone have any great recommendations for stylist in Chicago?

I don't have any stylist recommendations; I'm in Florida.

But, WELCOME ABOARD!!!

You're lucky you dodged a bullet with that one!

Hope you find an accommodating stylist.

Sheesh! Some people shouldn't be in business.

Just WOW. LOL I read that thread about the irate hairstylists in Chicago having a secret meeting. Just as you dangled the prospect of making money in her face you snatched it away and ***** lost it. :lachen: I am so sorry but better you find out she's a crazy ***** before you get to her salon. :yep:

Hope you find someone good or up your DIY game. I think that's what it's all coming to, and the stylists know it.

Sorry about your terrible experience!! With an attitude like that she didn't deserve your business any way On a happier note......:welcome3:

I'm so glad you have Islam. Having said that...I'm not gon say what I would've said :-x

I have a friend with hair down to her knees and she never paid more than $60 in the hood. Even in LA I can't see that service being more than $80.

Sent from my HTC Inspire™

Welcome and keep your money in your pocket and learn to do it yourself. You were going to pay big bucks and getting attitude like that, where is the concern on finding out the voice of the customer? Where has customer service gone? Good luck and if you are not comfortable doing it yourself and I hope someone can direct you to a better salon with good customer service.

Wow, she really had awesome people skills, huh? :giggle:

Welcome to the forums! :grin:

(Flava Flav voice) Wooooooow, the nerve of some people. I hope some Chicago ladies will come in and help a newbie out. Welcome! :)

Thanks everyone for all the welcome. I can do almost everything myself except cut my own hair. I want a super precise cut. I'm not sure why( I wear my hair curly most of the time anyway). Should I just straighten myself and just get the trim anywhere? I always feel like it's better to let the stylist straighten it instead of coming in with it straight. I'm not sure why. What do you guys think? My regular stylist always gets my hair super super straight.

If you have a stylist that you like/trust why are you looking for someone new? I would NEVER get a permanant process on the first visit from a new stylist. Trim to one person means cut to another.

If you must see someone new straighten your own hair and go to a chain store for a trim and hold a mirror in your hand as you watch. Take a friend with you as back up in case you get dizzy and fall in asleep in the chair (not meek marie but loudmouth laura who will speak up if stylist gets scissor happy).

You need to knock out the person that referred the rude salon/stylist to you. Maybe not but do let them know how you were treated and don't go back!

Don't come back her crying talmabout "I didn't know...."

I wanted to find someone cheaper. My stylist is expensive for me. I guess I just need to suck it up and stay with my regular stylist. You are right. I trust her and I already know what will happen.

Welcome Cora!!!!

Whew! Just be thankful you didn't go to this appointment! I'll take being annoyed anyway rather than someone potentially destroying my hair!
:hair:

Phone: (773) 697-0185

E-Mail: [email protected] K Chula Hair Salon
2152 W. Division
Chicago, IL 60622

Speak to Lurri, I'm not sure if she specializes in natural hair, but she is natural. They are a bit pricey, but she listens to the customer, and I like the fact that you won't be in there alllllllll day long! She's always done a nice job texlaxing and trimming my hair.

Thanks for the info!

Of course! You know us midwest girls gotta look out for one another. We don't have a lot of GOOD places to go for service and products. If you go to Lurri, please let me know how it goes, and pics if possible!

Hey everyone. I am a long time lurker, but have finally subscribed. yay! I have a sort of rant. OK so...

I have been noticing my ends getting thin. And i decided to get a haircut/ trim. i wanted to go to a salon. I have a regular stylist but wanted to try someone new. I was referred to this salon near my house. I was excited because the person who referred me said that they specialize in natural hair. I called the salon and the owner picked up. I just asked usual questions like how much, what is a good day for me to come in etc. She asked me how long my hair was and I told her ( an inch or two above bsl) and she told me it would be $150. In my head I thought WTH that is crazy, but I still kept on because the person who referred the salon said it was amazing. So then I asked how much a trim would be and she said $25. That is just crazy to think washing; blow drying and flat ironing is $125. Then she started telling me how I cannot always depend of flat ironing my hair and that I need to learn how to take care of my natural hair. Who just starts ranting at a potential client like this? She does not even know how I wear my hair and just assumed. So anyway I told her I would come into talk to her. I came in the shop and it looked old, almost grimy. Then the woman looked at my hair and told me in a condescending way that my hair was not that long and that it was not going to be difficult to do. First off it was in a shrunken state so obviously it’s not going to be down my back. OK, this always happens with my hair, people get halfway done and realize they have a lot more hair then they thought and try to charge more. So I reluctantly made the appt. But then I realize that this woman uses her own products they have no silicone, mineral oil, petroleum, or anything. I think this is great but not for my thin strands. So I called back just to find out what heat protectant they use. And the receptionist told me they use an oil blend of shea butter and argan oil. What? Argan oil does not protect my hair from heat. I know from experience. Then the receptionist assures me that its safe and blah blah. I told her I wanted to cancel my appt and she said hold on I will get the owner. So the owner comes on the phone and starts yelling at me about how I don't know about hair products and how I don't need silicones and how I only think I need silicones bc I wear a scarf(I'm Muslim). she then tells me she does not need headaches so she will just cancel my appt.
Who talks to people who are about to give you money like this?

as salaamu alaikum and welcome to the board.....OMG!!!! all I can say is wow and I think you should go back to where you know the person and how she is with you. if it is not broke don't fix it. This is why I wear my hair curly all the time because I don't want anyone in my hair.

I praise you for your diligence with getting enough information about a salon before sitting in their char.

Alot of us would have just booked the appointment and found out what they were really doing and products they used afterwards....when its too late.

Good job!

I wanted to find someone cheaper. My stylist is expensive for me. I guess I just need to suck it up and stay with my regular stylist. You are right. I trust her and I already know what will happen.

coracaox

I understand finances being an issue but I still say stick to what you know for trims. Learn on here how to DIY for other styles so you can stretch trips to your stylist within your budget. I'm glad you listened to your instincts and cancelled the appointment. (Lurkers this is why you have to realize that all references are not equal!! If it doesn't sound right run!)

Welcome to the board!

coracaox

hey girlie, welcome! :)

my stylist is expensive too, but she is awesome. i set up a budget of sorts to see her when i need to. i have tried to go the route of going cheaper but the stylists were subpar in every way. its best to stick to what you know. try to get trims 2-4 times a yr of anywhere btw 1/8 to 1/2 inch each time so the thin ends don't turn into a major issue. if something pops up and you just can't get to her try twisting your hair and trimming the ends of each twist then within a 2-4 wk period try to get to her for a more precise trim. i don't trim my own hair because its layered and not blunt.

That's a good idea I do need to just plan my budget. The only thing I dislike about my stylist is that she heat trains or damages? My hair. But I thinks it's bc the iron is too hot. I'm sure I could just ask her to turn it down. I think the reason why I'm in this predicament is because the last time I had a trim was this time last year. I guess I thought that because my ends were healthy that I could trim on my own. My hair is also layered and grows unevenly ( one side is usually a inch longer than the other). But I did a trim as best as I could bc my ends really needed it.

Back