New Study Lists Washington D.C., Boston And Atlanta As Top Three Cities For Single People

weaveadiva

New Study Lists Washington D.C., Boston And Atlanta As Top Three Cities For Single People - The Shade Room

“Proximity is one of the major factors in finding the perfect SO for you,” Apartment List wrote on their website. “If you’re ready to finally find “the one,” there are some cities where your odds may be better.”

To narrow that list down, the housing site paired with the dating app to examine 100 US cities. The study measured four categories including dating satisfaction, social satisfaction, dating affordability and percentage of singles. The total score for each city is the weighted average of the four individual scores. Dating satisfaction held a 40 percent weight while the remaining categories held 20 percent each in the study.

At the top of the list sits the nation’s capital Washington D.C. The city ranked high in percentage of singles as more than half of the city’s population identifies as single. Washington D.C. also ranked high in dating affordability with a three-course dinner and movie date landing at a $105 price point.

The full list, in order, includes: Washington D.C., Boston, Atlanta, Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, Richmond, Austin, Denver, Chicago and Seattle.

Funny, yesterday I was listening to a radio show, Innovation Hub: When Romance Meets Ratios, and they discussed that using the numbers of single people can make a city appear to be great for dating, but it’s erroneous, because cities tend to both disproportionately attract gay men (more than they attract lesbians) and disproportionately attract educated women more than educated men. So many cities that would seem to have good dating markets *on paper* (New York, Miami, and yes, Washington DC) actually have terrible dating markets because there aren’t enough single people within particular categories.

Atlanta and D.C. are among the worst cities for single Black women. Especially with all the man-sharing. I remember years ago a study was posted here about the rates of HIV/AIDS is higher in some the African countries most affected by the AIDS epidemic. I highly doubt things have changed.

Last edited:
Age matters…

DC is a good place for a single woman provided she doesn’t want to get married or have a committed relationship.

Been married and happily divorced, top of the food chain from a career standpoint, and not looking to be someone’s wife or girlfriend—DC has been great for me. I have about 20 female friends who are similar. We like being single and unattached.

Now for the women who are still waiting for marriage and kids…DC is not the place. Maybe Charlotte NC, Huntsville Alabama, or Meridian Mississippi. Even Austin Texas might is a marginal option.

Age matters…

DC is a good place for a single woman provided she doesn’t want to get married or have a committed relationship.

Been married and happily divorced, top of the food chain from a career standpoint, and not looking to be someone’s wife or girlfriend—DC has been great for me. I have about 20 female friends who are similar. We like being single and unattached.

Now for the women who are still waiting for marriage and kids…DC is not the place. Maybe Charlotte NC, Huntsville Alabama, or Meridian Mississippi. Even Austin Texas might is a marginal option.
I guess Atlanta is good in the same regard then bc you can casually date & mingle your behind off in Atlanta.

I guess Atlanta is good in the same regard then bc you can casually date & mingle your behind off in Atlanta.
Atlanta is a freakin fantastic city. I really love Atlanta. so many nice places to live. So many nice restaurants, lounges & things to do. If you're not trying to be serious with anyone then yes, but that man sharing thing is real. Its way too easy for men to live double, triple lives there. And too many women are ok with and enable that IMO.

Back