New Sabino

Zaz

New Sabino formula

So this is the first thread I start and pardon me if it's already been mentioned.

After reading all the (mostly) great reviews about Sabino moisture block, I went and found a cheapie alternative (hask pure shine) which had the same 2 ingredients plus sunscreen. But the beauty snob in me couldn't help but wonder if the SMB really is better and worth the money so I ordered it last week. It arrived today and I was kinda disapointed.

First off the bottle looks different and somewhat, how would I put this... bootleg. It looks like the label was put on by hand on a small scale operation, in fact it had several hairs stuck to it, blonde with a black root :perplexed
Most important, the ingredients are different, now it reads:

Ingredients: cyclopentasiloxane, dimethicone, cyclomethicone, dimethiconol.

Also on the paper I got with it it said they were changing the name to lök & blök ANd it'll now come in a red bottle. So I guess I got the in between changes packaging.
smb.jpg

I feel like by the time I got started with this forum all the products you ladies love (Nexxus humectress, EQP mango butter, now SMB) have been changed and I'm tardy for the party :lachen:

ETA:
OK, so I tried it and here are the results, it's not bad but it's not any better than my other serums (I'm 19 weeks post):
blowdry.jpg
blowdryback.jpg

flat.jpg
flatback.jpg

I also attached the notice they sent where they say my packaging is temporary and the formula has been changed/improved

Attachments

• sabino notice.jpg
    sabino notice.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Where did you buy it? Sounds fishy. Does it say Sabino anywhere?

Last edited:
OK so I renewed my subscription after...a year or so of lurking to say that I also received SMB today in the mail...with the bootleg bottle. :perplexed I'm hoping this works just as good because I'm a college student on a *tight* budget and purchased this because of all the excellent reviews. I hope this was not $$ down the drain. Please let me know how this works for you!!

I bought it directly from sabinohair.com and received an email from Diane Sabino as a confirmation, so I'm pretty sure it's legit.

yeeeeeeeeah I think you may have been tricked..

Their bottle is a much more pleasing and sophistocated design - it's hard for me to believe that they would take such a huge step backwards...

I don't even see where it says 'Sabino' anywhere on the label you posted and considering the inventor is a guy named Victor Sabino I find it hard to believe that he would take his name off it unless he sold the company.

This is the bottle I have (from about a year ago)

22014.5.jpg

And this is the only guaranteed source for the real product -

http://www.sabinohair.com/moisture-block2.php

I bought it directly from sabinohair.com and received an email from Diane Sabino as a confirmation, so I'm pretty sure it's legit.

weird...they haven't changed their website at all to reflect the change. :scratchch

Well, let us know how it works. What ingredients does it say are in it? Maybe they've been affected by the recession...:sad:

Did anyone who ordered with the 50% off promo get this same bottle..? That was only a few months ago.

It says Sabino on the other side, on the lady's shopping bag is the Sabino sign.
smbsign.jpg

The ingredients are:
cyclopentasiloxane, dimethicone, cyclomethicone, dimethiconol.

Wow. I don't know whether to be happy or sad about the new formulation.
I think it will be hard to compare how this works for you as most women here will have the older formula.
For me, the older version can be heavy at times, weighing the hair down.
If they watered down the product, it may not be worth the $$.

weird...they haven't changed their website at all to reflect the change. :scratchch

Well, let us know how it works. What ingredients does it say are in it? Maybe they've been affected by the recession...:sad:

Did anyone who ordered with the 50% off promo get this same bottle..? That was only a few months ago.

I ordered during the sale and I received the original bottle.

OP: If the product doesn't work well, I would try to return it since it does not appear to be the bottle being offered on the site.
They always touted themselves as the company offering 100% dimethicone and cyclomethicone but now they have added extra ingredients.

On the website it says:

"There are claims that silicones glob on the hair and do not evenly coat the hair, which is far from the truth. Moisture Block contains four simple silicone ingredients:
Dimethicone, Cyclomethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethiconol"

Source : http://sabinohair.com/whatMakesMBdifferent.php

But I still don't appreciate the bait and switch method, I bought it because they claimed all other serums were watered down with all those ingredients when you only need 2. I feel like I was jibbed :ohwell:

I called Sabino and spoke to Diane before I ordered. She even dropped me a confirmation email with a personal note included with the receipt.

I do not think they would downgrade their product offering after such success with so many women with curly/kinky hair.

Have you called them to ask? It would make me really sad to know I cannot order the same kind of product I got the first time....and it's about that time for me to order again...

hrrrrmppphh....

cj

I only received it today so I haven't contacted anyone yet. I guess I'll send an email tomorrow.

Gosh, they've really changed it up. They need to make it look nice (heck - and work nice too) like the 'regular' formula.

^^^^
Allandra, your original review from '07 or '08 is what really convinced me to try it because I have PM super skinny but I've been dying to try this since I read your review and saw Sylver2's post blowdry hair. I hope it works as well.:ohwell:

^^^^
Allandra, your original review from '07 or '08 is what really convinced me to try it because I have PM super skinny but I've been dying to try this since I read your review and saw Sylver2's post blowdry hair. I hope it works as well.:ohwell:
I purchased my first bottle in 11/2008. It's still my top serum.

I added the notice sent with the product where they explain that my packaging is temporary and they've changed/improved their formula. I guess I'll never know if I would've been as taken by it as everyone else was.
OT: I better order and try Wen quickly before they add 10 cones and mineral oil :lachen:

Last edited:
^^^ If you still have a bottle of the old formula I wouldn't mind buying it from you, (or anyone else who didn't like it and might have one) I'd just really like to try it and see if it was as great as they say :)

Last edited:
They only added more strong (need to be sulfate washed out) cones. I don't know how big of a difference it could make. I wish I knew that Sabino was only two ingredients before I bought it because I would have just bought the two cones and mixed them. Has anyone else tried to make SMB themselves?

They only added more strong (need to be sulfate washed out) cones. I don't know how big of a difference it could make. I wish I knew that Sabino was only two ingredients before I bought it because I would have just bought the two cones and mixed them. Has anyone else tried to make SMB themselves?

I think the consesus was that cones were as easy to mix as all that, and there's not guarantee that you'd be able to get the right ratios...I don't think anyone actually tried, though.

OP - you'll have to wait a few days to really see if Sabino makes a difference -My hair got silky and straight but what made me love it was the protection it gave me against reversion & heat.

My hair stayed straight and when I washed I had NO heat damage - even when I wore a sew-in all last winter and had to regularly flat iron the left out hair to blend. Make sure you follow the directions to get the best results. :yep:

^^ Thanks for the advice, I guess I'll make sure to flat iron next time it's foggy and run around outside and see what happens :grin:

^^ Thanks for the advice, I guess I'll make sure to flat iron next time it's foggy and run around outside and see what happens :grin:
That's funny :lachen:. But seriously Sabino is a good product (the old formula). I use it when I want pin straight hair. It stayed straight even after twisting the hair when making a ponytail.
If you want to try the old one there someone selling it on ebay.

Back