New overwhelming relationship sorry its a litte long

tdillz

I everyone I believe tho would be my first time posting in this forum. But let me give you some history first. I'm 24, weigh over 200 pounds and I'm 4 11. Ok now for most of my life I have had low self esteem. Where it stemmed from I wasn't sure because no one ever teased me and my family and friends always loved and supported me. I haven't had luck in the dating dept and my self esteem suffered because of it.

But recently, there's this guy that I have known and worked with for 2 years. He had always asked me out but I never gave him a shot but recently we have been hanging out and we decided to give it a try. But it's been sooo long side I've been in a relationship that hearing compliments in general is overwhelming. I know that may sound bad but it's hard when the majority of ur life you don't feel as pretty as the next girl. But for some odd reason when I big chopped my hair on December 19th 2011, everything changed I became more empowered and never felt more beautiful in my life.

This man (aka now my SO) has always saw me as attractive and has always liked me for me! Log hair or short, fat or skinny and I am sooo thankful for that! Even on my bad days when I don't feel cute, when I want to rock sweat pants (which is most of the time) HE SAW ME EVEN WHEN I FELT INVISIBLE.its so crazy how that old saying goes, you must love yourself in order to be happy with someone else( or something like that) but y'all just pray that I have a happy and healthy relationship because I am looking forward to being happy with him!

Last edited:
OP sounds like you found one -- A Fantastic Man!!

You deserve this and you should enjoy every single moment with your SO.

Congratulations.

Charlotte said:
OP sounds like you found one -- A Fantastic Man!!

You deserve this and you should enjoy every single moment with your SO.

Congratulations.

Thanks girl! This has been a long time coming!

This is one of the inspiring threads I've read in a while! Good luck in your new relationship tdillz

It's true; looks and and a slim body only let's you hook a man. It doesn't ensure you keep him. It's really all about being good and kind to others and confidence and love of self no matter what size you are.

january noir said:
This is one of the inspiring threads I've read in a while! Good luck in your new relationship tdillz

It's true; looks and and a slim body only let's you hook a man. It doesn't ensure you keep him. It's really all about being good and kind to others and confidence and love of self no matter what size you are.

U r sooo right! There were days I felt a hot mess and he still thought I was beautiful!

Je Ne Sais Quoi said:
I love the part about how you felt after your big chop. That made my morning!!

People just don't know that it truly flipped a switch in my life to become a more open positive focused confident fearless woman!

I agree, this was a very inspiring thread!! And more threads should to aim to inspire, motivate and to uplift others.

Some women tend to access their confidence based upon external people or tangible things (i.e. men, how many times you give your number out, clothing, compliments).

It appears to me that you got it!! Confidence illuminates from within and starts with in...... That's intangible and nobody can take that unless YOU allow them.

Your BC was done exactly when you needed it - dont look back.

Yaaaay, OP!!

Charlotte said:
I agree, this was a very inspiring thread!! And more threads should to aim to inspire, motivate and to uplift others.

Some women tend to access their confidence based upon external people or tangible things (i.e. men, how many times you give your number out, clothing, compliments).

It appears to me that you got it!! Confidence illuminates from within and starts with in...... That's intangible and nobody can take that unless YOU allow them.

Your BC was done exactly when you needed it - dont look back.

Yaaaay, OP!!

ITA! Thank u sooo much!

I also was touched how he never gave up on me within those 2 years he saw me go through a lot with my confidence and my hair issues and I am eternally grateful that he saw me as beautiful the entire time plus respected our friendship too!

I'm glad you're seeing your own beauty and you have someone who sees not only your external beauty but all of your beauty.

I hope you keep us posted with the progress of your natural journey.

SweetNic_JA said:
I'm glad you're seeing your own beauty and you have someone who sees not only your external beauty but all of your beauty.

I hope you keep us posted with the progress of your natural journey.

Thank u so much! It's such a new feeling but it feels soooo good! I definitely will keep u posted with the progress

I can attest the feeling empowerment after a haircut. Nothing like it! Its only one of many things that can crank up the confidence.

Congrats to your relationship, OP. Let this be a lesson that quality people love you for your soul and spirit. Many people roll their eyes at that, but its true. Some men really love your inside and what makes you special that the shell doesn't even matter. Good luck!

RegaLady said:
I can attest the feeling empowerment after a haircut. Nothing like it! Its only one of many things that can crank up the confidence.

Congrats to your relationship, OP. Let this be a lesson that quality people love you for your soul and spirit. Many people roll their eyes at that, but its true. Some men really love your inside and what makes you special that the shell doesn't even matter. Good luck!

Yeah it's an amazing feeling! ITA with the second paragraph u gotta think about loving a person for all their flaws and I truly believe that he likes me flaws and all!

What a happy story. It's true when you see the beauty that is you, so does the world. And good men are always attracted to confident beautiful women.

I wish you all the happiness your heart can hold!

He liked you b4 you were confident in your own shell. He saw you b4 you saw yourself. That is amazing person he is. I thanked some of your posts that moved me. Continue growing spiritually or that new strength in you plus your beautiful head of hair. Thanks for sharing your story! True when I came into this thread I thought it would be something negative.

Thanks for the positive vibes. HHJ and in love as well!

Hi everyone! Thanks for all the positive feedback! We are still together but I believe more on a casual basis working on getting to know one another. We both have hectic schedules, I have 2 jobs and many church activities in involved in and he has like 5 jobs and with his 2 kids it's hard to find time for one another but other than that, we are good!!! Thanks for asking!

Back