New Naturals Caring For Their Hair

Mahalialee4

I have been checking out the long time and newbie naturals who are loving and caring for their hair. There are some great albums out there ladies. Very encouraging. The real surprises are those who had quite long hair relaxed and decided to big chop. Now that takes some chutzpah! If I had below bra strap to waistlength hair, I would no way be able to do that. So I give the ladies credit for courage. I would transition with MTG! conditioner washes and dat would be dat!!!! lol Bonjour

I'll agree... there are a TON of great natural albums around (a lot more now than when I first decided to transition).

I was beyond bs when I transitioned... I didn't big chop, instead I transitioned for 18 mths... I just wish I would have transitioned about 1 yr sooner :)

Mahalialee4 said:
I have been checking out the long time and newbie naturals who are loving and caring for their hair. There are some great albums out there ladies. Very encouraging. The real surprises are those who had quite long hair relaxed and decided to big chop. Now that takes some chutzpah! If I had below bra strap to waistlength hair, I would no way be able to do that. So I give the ladies credit for courage. I would transition with MTG! conditioner washes and dat would be dat!!!! lol Bonjour

Heyyyyy Mahalialee4 thanks for your comments . I was scared at first to even go the natural route but so many naturals i admire so many (Nay, Chicoro, Den1, netta1,Peachtree, Henrielou........ and many many others ) and even permed ladies tips kitchentician and too many other to names and the board provided me with great tools to discover my hair. I CAN Say i love it now. i m just getting acquainted with it. Because i always had the notion that my hair was dry, splitting bad hair when in fact is how you care for it. And i did not have the knowledge to care for it. i just saw the dry hair and dismissed it. I had no elasticity just dry breaking hair. Now im learning what my hair likes i think it loves moisture, water and mtg is a keeper as well as the whole diet. but i guess it took me all that transitioning to get the pj phase out of me and kind of start a serious regimen that works by eliminating what does not work for me. And with all the wealth of knowledge on this board you all did for me more than any book, magazine, hairdresser and i think just braiding it or just leaving it alone while caring for it is the way to go. oh by the way mahalialee4 i will pick you some masketi when i go to bk at the end of the month ill pm you when i get it ;)

Last edited:
ekomba said:
Heyyyyy Mahalialee4 thanks for your comments . I was scared at first to even go the natural route but so many naturals i admire so many (Nay, Chicoro, Den1, netta1,Peachtree, Henrielou........ and many many others ) and even permed ladies tips kitchentician and too many other to names and the board provided me with great tools to discover my hair. I CAN Say i love it now. i m just getting acquainted with it. Because i always had the notion that my hair was dry, splitting bad hair when in fact is how you care for it. And i did not have the knowledge to care for it. i just saw the dry hair and dismissed it. I had no elasticity just dry breaking hair. Now im learning what my hair likes i think it loves moisture, water and mtg is a keeper as well as the whole diet. but i guess it took me all that transitioning to get the pj phase out of me and kind of start a serious regimen that works by eliminating what does not work for me. And with all the wealth of knowledge on this board you all did for me more than any book, magazine, hairdresser and i think just braiding it or just leaving it alone while caring for it is the way to go. oh by the way mahalialee4 i will pick you some masketi when i go to bk at the end of the month ill pm you when i get it ;)

You are so right. I tried to transition 3 times before I actually became natural. My hair was dry, hard and I couldn't do a thing with it. I starting getting tips from everyone, permed and natural, and my hair has thrived. But I am still in my Pj phase LOL. I love when I see albums with product suggestions. I was shoulder length when I transitions with braids and twist. I was not ready to deal with my hair then.
Ekomba, MGT is a keeper for me too.

Im with you Bensosayi and good growing! i peep your pix. i also noticed that as my hair grows longer and thick all october i m forced to wear 2 plastic cap at night under the satin bonnet and put a tshirt on my pillow just in case of drippings and i have to change and put new plastic caps almost daily so i discard the first one and used the 2nd top one with a new one then alternate like that with new ones. i m not sure if i can still fit wigs now

Thank you Ekombe. But honey, get me a couple of bottles because by the time I pay the postage it will cost me 3 x the product. Canadian dollars and all the different tax. You can be my masketi pusha! lololo. I will send you something in return. You will love it. Bonjour.

Mahalialee4 said:

actually it didn't take as much courage as you may think! i was one of those people who had waist length relaxed hair. i did a first big chop up to my shoulders and a few months later i chopped off ALL of the relaxed hair and had a good 3-4 inches! it's been exactly 10 months since i chopped and ive got about 8-10 inches all over now! the chop to my shoulders was the one i cried on...that was painful...the actual *BC* wasn't as bad! i look forward to being a waist length natural (stretched) within the next couple of years!!!

I agree there are a lot of amazing albums out there that help to keep me inspired. I also agree the actual BC was a wonderful experience for me, I was excited. My hair was not quite brastrap but it was long enough.

ATL Mulattamami: What caused you to make the transistion? I know there was an epiphany in there somewhere...and what was the reaction of the significant people in your life to that? Do you have twice the thickness now that you have transitioned and what is the reaction to your new natural look? Bonjour

Mahalialee4 said:
ATL Mulattamami: What caused you to make the transistion? I know there was an epiphany in there somewhere...and what was the reaction of the significant people in your life to that? Do you have twice the thickness now that you have transitioned and what is the reaction to your new natural look? Bonjour

Well the reason for transitioning was simple and kinda stupid I guess... I moved down here to Georgia from a small country town in Virginia so I wasn't used to seeing a lot of Hispanic or black women (let alone naturals). When I came down here I saw tons of women with all of this beautiful natural hair be it curly, kinky, or nappy I thought it was gorgeous. So I decided to transition. I transitioned for about 9-10 months. I had planned on just fully transitioning and not doing a chop but I had some pretty traumatic things happen. I was a mess...after it was all over I decided I wanted to cut my hair. It wasn't really just a random thing to me...it was symbolic. I guess I viewed the "old" hair as my "old" life and my "new" hair as a "new" beginning. So I cut it all off and burned it. It was extremely liberating! I was supported by mostly everyone about the decision to go natural. My mother and my grandmother thought it was a great idea and my mother was actually the one who did my BC for me. Everyone else didn't much care about the natural thing but they had hissy fits when I cut all my hair off. Of course I encountered some of the people who think natural is like a bad thing but they were few and far between. Yes I have a LOT more thickness than when I was relaxed but then again I had a ton of hair when I was relaxed as well. I really love my natural hair. Like I said, it was very liberating to do the cut and there's something special about knowing I'm not the "norm" (at least when it comes to typical hair styles)

Here is a before and after picture, please excuse the after picture because i look busted but its the only one i have that shows my curly hair off well:

Attachments

• heather and mom 2.jpg
    heather and mom 2.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 24
  • oct172.jpg
    oct172.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 29
I'm the opposite. I was very scared of being natural because i remembered my mom and cousins breaking combs and brushes in my hair when I was younger. I got my first relaxer at age 8, my mom could not handle my texture. I failed my first attempt and was teased by my former stylist who told me that I could never handle my natural hair. I bced and got a new stylist who encorages me strongly to remain natural. :lol: With all the great tips on this site, I think this time I can be successful. I'm at a milestone in my life- 5 months without a relaxer. I am really happy I found this site. U all helped me when I was ready to give up. Proper education is the key to success. Thanks guys!

Back