New Natural needs help/advice!

Ms.Christ3n

I've been a lurker for about 2 years and finally joined after doing the BC because I have no idea how to take care of my natural hair. I transitioned for 1.5 years by bunning and my hair is only about 7-8 inches and won't fit into a bun for anything.:nono: I've been cowashing everyday and wearing a wash and go for the past week. Is this asking for trouble? Will I retain length this way?

I don't have any pics right now. Stupid Geek Squad deleted everything on my computer.:evil:

For some constant wash and go's lead to single strand knots (ssk). While others have seen their hair thrive. You will have to monitor your hair as it grows.

Well, welcome!!!
And welcome to the natural side of town too.
Congrats on your successful BC!!!
Can't wait to see pix!!!

Cowashing is cool, with a wash n go.
are you moisturizing well?
I don't think you're asking for trouble, but if you get tangles n dryness n junk maybe alternate with some twists or something, so your hair isn't out loose every day?

Right now I'm just putting shea butter on my hair after cowashing and sealing with coconut oil/evoo. I bought CareFree Curls moisturizing activator but it did absolutely nothing for my hair. I do not know what else to use as a moisturizer. Any ideas?

Right now I'm just putting shea butter on my hair after cowashing and sealing with coconut oil/evoo. I bought CareFree Curls moisturizing activator but it did absolutely nothing for my hair. I do not know what else to use as a moisturizer. Any ideas?

First off, welcome to the forum!! :)

Next, what works for me may not work for you (everyone's hair is different), but a list of moisturizers that I like to use include:

Africa's Best Liquid Hair Mayo
Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine leave-in conditioner
Africa's Best Texture My Way Curl Keeper
Sunsilk Captivating Curls leave-in

The first two listed are my favorites. Also, if you're going to be doing cowashes frequently you want to make sure the conditioner you're using is a really good one. I personally really like Dove Intense moisture conditioner and Aussie Moist conditioner.

And like the others mentioned, you have to be careful to detangle your hair when cowashing, otherwise knots and breakage may plague you.

Btw, I like using a Jilbere shower comb (I think I got it from Sally's) to detangle my hair. It's a good wide toothed comb and has rounded edges that don't snag my hair. I also really like the Goody Jojoba oil brush (can get at Walmart). It detangles very well and glides through my hair.

As another side note: I only detangle my hair when I wash or cowash, and my hair is soaking wet and full of conditioner. That way the comb goes through easily. Also leaning my head under the flow of water in the shower while I detangle helps the comb to glide through and get out any knots/tangling that may have occurred from having shed hair or wearing my hair down.

Last edited:
I use Lustrasilk mixed with oil(EVOO, jojoba, grapeseed) as a leave in. It helps with softs. Don't hesitate to experiment with styles. You can do twists, small braids, twist outs, braid in the front out in the back.

Shea butter doesn't work for my hair though some naturals swear by it. Be sure to monitor the moisture of your hair while using it.

Thank you SEMO and Filmatic! I will try the Lustrasilk mixed with evoo for now since I already have that. Never thought of mixing them! I will try the the things suggested as soon as I use some of the stuff I already have. Don't want to become a PJ :ohwell:

When I first did my BC, I would co wash daily and just leave trhe conditioner in and seal with oil. That worked for me. I recently started using S-Curl Moisturizer and my hair loves it. I would recommend that you also start doing weekly deep conditions in addition to your co-washes.

Right now, I am using ORS Pak as a deep conditioner. I don't have a hooded dryer so I just let it sit for 2 hours. I just wanted to make sure cowashing my hair everyday was going to do longterm damage in the future. Thank you ladies for al of your help! Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I admire all of you ladies (and your hair)!

wash n go don't work for me, too many tangles:nono:
I wash in braids which helps me retain and avoid breakage:grin:

So far, I don't have trouble with tangles (knock on wood). Once I put conditioner in my hair my shower comb glides through easily and then I follow through with my Revlon Denman-like brush just to get the curls to clump back together. When I'm out of the shower, I don't touch my hair at all :nono: or else I'll get a big poof ball. Are there any ladies that do wash and go's almost everyday with success?

Another question:
Am I really 4a/3c? I'm not sure if I'm more 4a or 3c or just an even mixture of both? I'm so clueless... :look:

Back