New Natural Member....

Necie

Hi everyone,

My daughter found this board for me. I am so glad she did.:) My name is Denise from Houston,Tx. Most of the times I go by Necie. I got my last perm in Dec.1999 and have not been back for another. Natural is very challenging for me that's the reason I joined this forum to get some help.

I basically shampoo, condition, blow dry and sometimes flat iron. When I flat iron my hair it basically stays for a couple of days and it sweats back to like it was when I washed it. Is there anything that you would recommend that I should do to help keep it straight a little longer? I have tried flat ironing and hot combing it too. That seems to last a little longer but that takes so long to do. Also at this time my hair is basically to my neck.

Any suggestions are more than welcome.
smile.gif
I am trying to win this battle cause I don't never want to go back to permed hair again. (that is just my opinion, to each it's own)

Necie
Houston,Tx

Hi Necie,

I'm natural, too. But I just chopped off all of my relaxed hair and I don't wear my hair straight. I know that Irrisistable (another natural member) reccomends a product called Satin Cream Press (the lotion) for when she straightens her hair.

Welcome to the board....I know you'll enjoy it.
smile.gif

Hi, welcome- I am fairly new myself. I'm sorry that I have no suggestions, but these ladies are very helpful here.

I have a friend that just moved from Bridgeport, CT! How coincidental!

Ok...back to the hair...

Do you wrap your hair at night? Some have found success with doing that.

Hi necie!

I'm natural but I haven't flatironed since December. I know the Houston humidity can do a number on pressed hair so instead of a completely straight look, have you tried braidouts on pressed hair? That way, when the moisture hits your hair the difference in textures won't be as dramatic.

I know of no method or product besides holding spritzes (the alcohol content is drying and potentially damaging though) that would make thermally straightened hair stay straight for a significant amount of time.
ohwell.gif

Have you considered alternating between straight and natural? I used to flatiron my hair every 1.5 to 2 weeks but my ends suffered and overall my hair was dry and felt crispy sometimes. What's the condition of your hair like?

Thanks everyone for the warm Welcome.
smile.gif

I have looked for the Satin Cream Press (the lotion) but have not been successful in finding it. Will definitely keep looking. I looked at Sally's Beauty Supply but nothing. By the way who makes it?

Also at night when I go to bed I usually wrap my hair with a silk scarf.

I think someone asked me about braids, no I really don't want to braid my hair if I have to add other hair into it. But have thought about getting it braided with just my hair.

One day I did shampoo, condition, blow dry, flat ironed and rolled my hair with perm rods. That looked good for one day that is all.(took hardly no time for it to sweat back) Now if I could find away to keep it longer before it would not sweat back that would be great.

Keep the suggestions coming.:)

Necie
Houston,Tx

I live in houston too. I have hair natural hair for more than a year, and haven't worn it straight once. So I don't have any knowledge of how to keep natural hair straight. But the satin press is by Ultra Sheen. Hope that helps.

Welcome, my advice to you is that 1st stop battling with your beautiful natural hair, your best bet is to learn how to work with your own texture. Thats the trick to being natural really (at least it was for me). Natural hair should be easier to deal with at least it is for me (now). Also another key is moisture moisture moisture, your natural hair loves water. Also try conditioner washes. Anyway I would be careful of using heat because it can be damaging to your naps in SOME cases causing them not to snap back. Feel free to check out my album because I'm nappy too you might find at least one style in there to try. Also check out some of the the other natural albums around here. Blessings!

Welcome! I wish I could offer some suggestions but I've only straightened my hair once using rollers.
smile.gif

I know many other members can probably give you excellent advice. Good Luck
smile.gif

Welcome!!! Unfortunately I dont have any suggestions. Since I cut off all my relaxed hair I have not straightened. Have you thought of doing more natural styles as opposed to straightening? Do you think that you can cut down on the heat to once a month? Before I had relaxed hair I pressed my natural hair every two weeks. And I never saw any growth. It was stuck at shoulder blade length. And then the ironic part was I decided to relax and only straightened my hair on touch ups which was three times a year. Suprisingly enuff, I made it past brastrap for the first time ever with relaxed hair. So since I dont plan to use heat at all for the next year or so, I can only imagine how long my natural hair will get. Well what ever you decide good luck and again welcome
wink.gif

hi and welcome!
when first went natural, i washed, conditioned and blowdried once a week because that was the pattern my whole life, perm, press, nappy, braids. well i realized the blowdrying wasn't necessary-frequent heat can be murder! find out if your hair likes oil, always applied on wet. damp hair, or water based moisturizers. either way the hair loves some water. learn how to handle your hair without the heat. if you want length, tru stretching through banding, or plaiting. its an exciting journey so GOODLUCK!
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ms_kenesha said:
Hi Necie,

I'm natural, too. But I just chopped off all of my relaxed hair and I don't wear my hair straight. I know that Irrisistable (another natural member) reccomends a product called Satin Cream Press (the lotion) for when she straightens her hair.

Welcome to the board....I know you'll enjoy it.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah its great wonderfull and works like a dream and has been discontinued
frown.gif

welcome to the group Necie, my last press i used shea butter (pure unrefined) and it worked great (pics in my album), just heavy, but the press was soft and easy, just had to wait for it to soak up some but it held up well. im still on the look out for something that works as well as the Satin Creme Press Lotion though, thankfully i have a little stash of it , thanks to another member here (Sassygirl) having a big heart when i was losing my mind when i found out it had been discontinued. how often do you press?

[ QUOTE ]
Necie said:
Hi everyone,

My daughter found this board for me. I am so glad she did.:) My name is Denise from Houston,Tx. Most of the times I go by Necie. I got my last perm in Dec.1999 and have not been back for another. Natural is very challenging for me that's the reason I joined this forum to get some help.

I basically shampoo, condition, blow dry and sometimes flat iron. When I flat iron my hair it basically stays for a couple of days and it sweats back to like it was when I washed it. Is there anything that you would recommend that I should do to help keep it straight a little longer? I have tried flat ironing and hot combing it too. That seems to last a little longer but that takes so long to do. Also at this time my hair is basically to my neck.

Any suggestions are more than welcome.
smile.gif
I am trying to win this battle cause I don't never want to go back to permed hair again. (that is just my opinion, to each it's own)

Necie
Houston,Tx

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry i just read over what you typed a little better, do you ever wear your hair unstraightened? just wanna add my little 2cents, if you want all the benifits of natural hair (health, stregnth, thicknes, legnth) you have to wear it mostly in its natural state. well let me change that, maybe some hair will still do well with constant heat styling (miracles do happen) but i know most hair will not do well under those conditions....plus its a huge benifit to not have to do all that work, and styling and worrying about it reverting....i love the breaks of my hair in its natural state...with an occasional "treat" of wearing it straight

I don't use heat for my hair. However, if I was to press I would probably get Dudley's Creme Press. I think you can get this at JCPennys salons.

Hi there
wave.gif

I'm also a natural. I spent years pressing my hair once a week, hot curling it every day, and then trying to avoid rain, fog, sweat, humidity. The elements seemed to win out every time, and my hair suffered from all the heat.

So now I wash my hair every five days, and usually wear it in heat-less styles. My number one favorite is the braidout (where you wash your hair, braid it while wet, undo the braids the next day, and then style the wavy hair)

This really works for me because since my hair is in a heat-less style, it doesn't matter if it's humid or if I workout and sweat. I'm good usually for five days without really doing to much combing to my hair. Then I just start over again.

Like someone else said, if you want to be natural, you just gotta flow with what your natural hair is doing. I don't know if there is a product out there that will truly keep pressed hair straight!

Anyway, welcome to the board
smile.gif

Just wanted to say welcome! You'll find a lot of great advice here...these ladies really know what they're talking about.
grin.gif

Hello and welcome!

You've had a lot of good advice given to you on this thread already
smile.gif
I gotta agree it's easier to go with the flow of your hair.

:
wave.gif
: Welcome!

I've been natural for over 10 yrs now. I might be going against the grain a bit –but I straighten more often than I wear natural styles. I've learned to straighten my hair without it reverting back.

-Basically after my precondition, shampoo and instant conditioning...
-I spray my ends with a leave-in, comb-out and then spray the entire length of my hair with Elasta Qp Silk.
-I braid my hair into four sections. Lately I have been doing most of my drying under a hair dryer.
-After it's been completely dried--I pull out my blow dryer (this step is completely optional but saves me time) I loosen each section and run the blow dryer across the length of each section to stretch the hair out--not completely straighten it. No comb is necessary just use of your hands to pull your hair taught! You can comb the section out at the end. I put each section into a Bantu knot to help with the straightening process. After that is done. I flatiron each section and voila--my hair is straight! It lasts at least a week.

BTW I use a Conair ION Shine blow dryer and ceramic flatirons by Jiberre. I never use a hot comb and to curl my hair I just used sponge roller lined with satin (Hypehair brand) right after I flatiron. In addition, I think that moisture has played a major key in my hair not reverting...

Hello Fellow, Natural!

Welcome aboard. I think the advice that these lovely ladies are providing is very useful. We all struggle with out natural beauty from time to time, especially as it grows. We must learn to accept the texture as it is and work with it. I'm sure your hair is very beautiful!

Send pics!!
grin.gif

I haven't experienced the Houston humidity, but as a previous long time daily hot comb user, I came to the conclusion that my hair reverted quickly because it lacked moisture. For the last eighteen months or more I have not used the heat of a hot comb or blowdryer to style my hair. I have found that with increased wetting and moisturizing it gets straight enough while drying in a ponytail or in two strand twists.

I think that as a natural you have to become comfortable with the idea that it is not absolutely necessary for your hair to look relaxer straight every day. Frequent use of hot combs, flat irons and curling irons will rob your hair of moisture and lead to breakage. Also, you'll put off needed wetting and condtioning just to preserve the press.

[ QUOTE ]
SVT said:
Hi necie!

I'm natural but I haven't flatironed since December. I know the Houston humidity can do a number on pressed hair so instead of a completely straight look, have you tried braidouts on pressed hair? That way, when the moisture hits your hair the difference in textures won't be as dramatic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or just a braidout or twistout on blown dry or stretched out hair? I'm from an area that has high humidity and most of the time when the humidity hits my hair (twistout) I like the look of it even more so.

Hi Necie,the New Napptural Member! (I am natural now,too.)
When I transitioned,I did rollersets with no setting lotion. I only applied a moisturizer and a leave in. I had to follow up with flat ironing,then I would wrap my hair around. I plan on doing this again soon,since I am natural now. By the way,do you sweat easily?

Sooo many naturals are joining the board! Goodness, I'm getting all impatient now to be natural myself! Welcome, Necie.

Back