New Motions Products

myco

I ran out of Elucence and in the meantime and between time I need to wash my hair.

Motions has a new line of "Weightless, oil-free" products for fine to medium hair. I know that the mineral oil was a big turnoff for me and a lot of other members. I didn't see mineral oil listed, so I picked up the detangling conditioner and the clear hairdressing since they were only $4 each.

I think I might like the hairdressing, and I don't like grease/hairdressings at all because my hair just goes limp with them in my hair. I rubbed it on the back of my hand and there was no residue or oiliness. The second ingredient on the list is glycerin, so that is definitely a plus. I guess I would describe it as a "solid" serum.

The new conditioner is thinner than the regular Motions conditioner. I applied that to my hand and rubbed it into dry hair and still no residue on my hands. Just feels like I applied lotion to my hands. I'll try them both tonight and edit my post with results.

Ingredients:

Clear Hairdressing:
Water, glycerin, propylene glycol, polyacrylamide, PEG-12, dimethicone, c13-14 isoparaffin, laureth -7, benzyl alcohol, butylphenylmethylpropional, citral, hexlyonnamal, limonene, linalool, dmdm hydantoin, fragrance

Conditioner:

Water, cetyl alcohol,cetrimonium chloride, propylene glycol, glyceryl stearate, hydrolyzed silk, polysorbate 80, methylparaben, propylparaben, disodium EDTA, diazolidinyl urea, butylphenylmethylpropional, hexly cinnamal, limonene, linalool, fragrance

c13-14 isoparaffin may be some sort of heavy wax like petroleum.

Isn't benzyl alcohol bad?

The conditioner looks better.

People who are avoiding dmdm hydantoin and other chemicals must feel that this stuff is straight poison.

Myco, please post your results. I actually saw the new Motions products last week in Walgreens and I was so tempted to purchase the conditioner as well as the shampoo. I literally picked the items up and put them back down like 5 times before I talked myself out of buying them. I have so many shampoos and conditioners that I shouldn't need to be any more, but I can't let a potenially good product go by without trying. I hope you have great results.

chestnutblonde said:
Myco, please post your results. I actually saw the new Motions products last week in Walgreens and I was so tempted to purchase the conditioner as well as the shampoo. I literally picked the items up and put them back down like 5 times before I talked myself out of buying them. I have so many shampoos and conditioners that I shouldn't need to be any more, but I can't let a potenially good product go by without trying. I hope you have great results.

I waited to post until I'd used them up or long enough to throw away. These would definitely be on the "miss" list. The conditioner is not awful, but it doesn't do much. I guess I would call it a scented rinse. Might be good for conditioner washes in the summer, but during the fall and winter - nada. The weightless hairdress is good for slicking down flyaways in a wet bun. I tried it on my hair when I wore it out a couple of times. My hair didn't immediately get stringy and limp, but it did look kind of ashy and dry after a while. I think the glycerin was leeching the moisture out of my hair.

prettyblac said:
bump does anyone know

Yes... Here is what the representative e-mailed me after I asked the question on their website...

"Thank you for contacting Alberto Culver regarding your interest in our company and its products. We are happy to supply you with the information that you have requested.

Unfortunately, our development teams will not divulge the pH of our relaxer products.

All formulas of Motions Hair Relaxers are sodium hydroxide "lye" based. We don't offer a "no-lye" formula.

Motions relaxer formulas are all moisturizing...the Oil Moisturizer formula however is designed for extremely dry hair that still needs to be relaxed. This formula provides relaxation without further drying and damaging the hair. It actually improves moisturization by 300%, we recommend you accompany this relaxer treatment with the other Oil Moisturizing products for the best results and to improve the overall condition of dry hair.

Motions Oil Moisturizer Creme Neutralizing Shampoo, Silk Protein Deep Penetrating Conditioner and Extra Conditioning Oil Sheen Spray.

We hope this information is helpful. Thank you again for contacting Alberto Culver.

Sincerely,

Sharlotte Smith
Consumer Relations Representative"

I bought the hairdress for $3.99 or $4.99, although I disagree that its weightless, I believe so far its a pretty good moisturizer for me. I like to seal the moisture with Motions Salon Herbals Oil sheen which is great. I'm still experimenting with it though, I can update later if anyone's interested though.

Back