New, Help

mensah

Hello,

I am new, I've been lurking for a while and decided to come out of hiding. I have 4b hair, it is about mid back lenght, I am currently using affirm (mild).

Okay people this is long....

My hair is dry!! I mean Sahara dry. I went to get a relaxer with a stylist who I have been to before and the first words out of her mouth were "Why is your hair soo dry?". She relaxed my hair with Affirm (mild). She believes it was damaged from my last relaxer. I told her my regime and she said I was doing the right thing and using the right product. Now ladies I need your help, I have the following products, tell me what I can do to put some mositure in my hair.

Shampoo - creme of nature (dry formula), motions shampoo, nexxus botanoil shampoo

Conditioner - mazani mositurefuse, motions conditioner, nexxus humectress

Reconstructor - nexuss keraphix and emergencee

Hairdress - profectiv long and health, pink glosser, and Mizani H2O Intense Night-Time Treatment, hot six oil

Leave in - Mizani Therm Elastic Leave-in Protector

Now I shampoo and conditon once a week lately with the creme of nature and mositurefuse. I air dry after applying oil and Mizani Therm Elastic Leave-in Protector. Once it is dry I apply the fousk silk therapy, then flat iron (ceramic).

Any suggestions on how I can get more mositure in my hair. Am I doing something wrong? Better products? I plan on buying wild growth hair oil later this week.

Thanks for all your help!!!!

My goodness,

Your regimen & products sound good. When was the last time you clarified your hair? That could very well be the culprit.

Oh, and welcome to the board!

Welcome to the LHCF mensah!
wave.gif

Personally I think the Nexxus Botanoil is very drying and I think you hair would benefit from a good hot oil treatment. Queen Helene is very good. After shampooing I put in the hot oil treatment and sit under the dryer until my hair is warm about 15 minutes----it works wonders!
Hope this helps.

Hi Mensah,
wave.gif
....the ladies have given you some good advice based on the information you have shared. I would suggest you start with a clarifying shampoo that is gentle. This will get rid of any build up that will cause your hair not to receive the benefits of the products (esp. moistures)that you are using. I would then follow up with products to combat any damage from your previous relaxer if that is an additional culprit (ie deep condition, treatments, etc.).

Also, check your ingredient listings on your products for things like mineral oil, petro..., wax, balsam and words that end in "cone". These are some of the ingredients that coat the hair (most are non-water soluble) and can cause buildup on your hair. When using products that cause build up you need to use them mindfully. When your hair rebels (not responding well...Sahara in the house) it becomes necessary to clarify via a clarifying shampoo, ACV rinse or what ever method works for you.

Check "Hair tips" link in my signature below. My last post (dated 12/09/03) talks a little about the benefit of clarifying. There is also some other things on that thread that you might find helpful as well.

Oh, welcome to LHCF!
smile.gif

I agree with the above, I think you might need to clarify. Creme of nature puts a buildup on your hair, and that may cause the conditioner and other moisturizing products to be ineffective.
Welcome to LHCF!!!
wave.gif

Hello Mensah and welcome:

I wonder if the flat iron may be a culprit, even if it is a ceramic one. At my last hair appt., I asked my stylist about using a high end ceramic flat iron and his words were "only for very, very, very special occasions." He spoke a little about the temp here in New England and said it's best to stay away from it as much as possible. Since joining this board, I've gained the discipline to limit heat to a dome hair dryer and there's been a noticeable difference with my hair.

HTH,
Cheveux

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!!! dont forget to clarify. my fav is to use a Diluted apple cider vinegar rinse.

Question to Mensah, does your products reflect that you have been lurking on the site? In other words: before lurking, were you using these same products?

Back