New & Confused!! Please help.

lovegan

Hello ladies!

I'm proud to say that after careful consideration: I need to start taking better care of my hair! I've been going to a stylist for a few years now. I've relaxed and high lighted my hair regularly for the last two years...AND IT SHOWS (the breakage is unbelievable)

I realized that the reason why I've been going to a stylist is because i was never taught how to properly care for my hair! God knows I've done some horribly damaging things to my hair as a result.

I've read a lot of posts on this forum for a long time and finally have the courage to admit : nope, I have no idea how to take care of my hair!

My hair type is a 3c-4a (in between-very thick, wavy, shinny) I had very long hair growing up but again, no one taught me how to properly care for my hair.

I want to start taking care of it at home and undo some of the damage.

Ive read the "newcomer's guide to starting out" http://journals.fotki.com/dontspeakdefeat/newcomer/, and I need some pointers on the products and methods i've chosen to do to grow healthier stronger hair. ANY POINTERS, ADVISE, OR CRITISIM IS VERY WELCOMED:

1- STOP HIGH LIGHTING HAIR!!!
2-Get regular trims
3(now here's one i need help with!) shampoo once weekly
4-(another one i'm confused about) Protein & deep condition moisturize after shampoo
5- air dry hair a bit
6-blow dry without comb attachement (after putting on heat protectant)
7-apply heat protectant/serum & flat iron hair
8-use hair oil and moisturizer on ends/throughout hair as needed

other than that, I'm not sure what else to do...should I do a protein condition and moisturizing treatment at the same time (yes....I have notoriously mixed conditioners together in the past)

i love my hair dresser, but she really doesn't seem to treat my hair like "delicate silk". I feel like i could do a better job.

thanks so much for taking the time to read this!

-Lindsay

p.s. when flat ironing, i know NOT to use oil (thanks to this wonderful forum). what SHOULD i use during flat ironing other than a serum/heat protectant?

lovegan said:
1- STOP HIGH LIGHTING HAIR!!!
2-Get regular trims
3(now here's one i need help with!) shampoo once weekly
4-(another one i'm confused about) Protein & deep condition moisturize after shampoo
5- air dry hair a bit
6-blow dry without comb attachement (after putting on heat protectant)
7-apply heat protectant/serum & flat iron hair
8-use hair oil and moisturizer on ends/throughout hair as needed

other than that, I'm not sure what else to do...should I do a protein condition and moisturizing treatment at the same time (yes....I have notoriously mixed conditioners together in the past)
1. Yeah. It may work for some but if you feel it's not working for you, I'd stop.
2. Only if you need them; trimming does not make the hair grow
3. Only if you feel like you have to or you just want to; you don't have to shampoo once a week to have healthy, long hair
4. You do not need to use protein (a regular treatment or a reconstructor) every time you wash; you also do not need to deep condition every single time you wash, but deep conditioning would be a good idea if you do not wash frequently
5. If you wish
6. Heat is not for damaged hair; restore your hair's health before you even think about it
7. See above
8. Sounds good

Some people have been known to mix a protein conditioner and a moisturizing conditioner before with no ill effects. You can do this if you wish but like I said, it's not a necessity to have protein every wash.

Also, if you have severe breakage, Motions CPR Treatment Conditioner is good. JOICO K-Pak Reconstructors are also very good. Other popular reconstructors are Nexxus Emergencee and Aphogee.

Last edited:
thanks for your help. i have to break my heat addiction, I suppose. I like to wear my hair straight, but if it is only making my hair worse, then i suppose I need to lay off the flat iron and blow dryer. :ohwell:

Back