New comer!!

LilDmomof3

Like most ladies, I've lurked, before joining. I have been lurking now for 5 days, and i can say Im addicted!!!! Im am appauled from all the new things Ive learned in those few days from this site. And before I continue, I'd just like to say that all the women here are Beautiful, and Wonderful.

Now's here my deal:grin: I have no idea what my hair type is first off. My hair is a bit past shoulder length, but thin, and I HATE it. I have no real regimin like everyone does, but I see I must start. Im wanting to start the MTG, and would LOVE to pair up with the ladies who have/currently working with it. The only thing Ive EVER done my whole life as far as hair care, is wash, condition/deep. I have absolutely no problem with growing my hair, just getting it past this stage(otherwise Im tempted to cut), and making it thicker. So any help as far as a GOOD place to start to thicken my hair, and reach a goal of armpit length would help.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all here!!

Lild

you can go to search and type in thicker hair. as far as length you have to keep ur hair moisturized especially the ends and try to limit your use of heat.

Welcome!

I am new myself, and I too don't have a solid regimen. I struggle with thin, won't grow pass shoulder length hair as well. I am currently transitioning to natural because of these reasons.

The only thing I can recommend that if you wrap your hair, it is know to cause hair to thin. Also, I heard that panthenol and carrots are great for making hair thicker. HTH!

LilDmomof3 said:
Like most ladies, I've lurked, before joining. I have been lurking now for 5 days, and i can say Im addicted!!!! Im am appauled from all the new things Ive learned in those few days from this site. And before I continue, I'd just like to say that all the women here are Beautiful, and Wonderful.

Now's here my deal:grin: I have no idea what my hair type is first off. My hair is a bit past shoulder length, but thin, and I HATE it. I have no real regimin like everyone does, but I see I must start. Im wanting to start the MTG, and would LOVE to pair up with the ladies who have/currently working with it. The only thing Ive EVER done my whole life as far as hair care, is wash, condition/deep. I have absolutely no problem with growing my hair, just getting it past this stage(otherwise Im tempted to cut), and making it thicker. So any help as far as a GOOD place to start to thicken my hair, and reach a goal of armpit length would help.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all here!!

Lild

Hey mama! :wave: Glad to have you...
I would check out the sticky at the top of the page dedicated to helping newbies get started...there are way too many products/methods to even begin making suggestions, but I co-sign with MzTami as far as heat and wrapping is concerned. I too experienced thinning from wrapping too *tight* and too often. I was ridiculously disciplined with wrapping my hair, so now I've decided to lay off of it and my temples have come back very nicely. You can't even tell I ever had temple issues and I'm lovin it.
I would recommend staying away from stylists for a while, and really getting a handle on your hair. Test the waters with products and figure out what your hair likes. Protein? Moisture? Airdrying? Blowouts? There are so many options, and I think the whole process is really trial and error...but here are some other things to think about...
Invest in combs & brushes that do not snag the hair. Seamless combs prevent breakage and shedding and are very gentle on the hair. Bone combs are popular choices as well as seamless shower combs which can be purchased at Sally’s Beauty Supply for a few dollars.
Treat the ends of hair with TLC. This is the hair that has been on the head the longest, so it needs much attention to thrive. Be sure to moisturize the ends daily to avoid splitting and breakage. Low manipulation hair styles are also great for this purpose.
Never place cotton bandanas on the hair or sleep on cotton pillow cases. Cotton strips hair of its moisture and leads to breakage. Satin scarves and satin pillowcases are a better choice on the road to long, healthy hair.
Trimming damaged ends is important in the maintenance of long healthy hair. If not properly cared for, split ends can travel up the hair shaft and cause breakage. Over time, shedding and breakage can be significant if trims are not performed when necessary. Be sure to only trim the amount that’s necessary. If ends are properly cared for, little or no length should be lost with each trim. Trims should be for maintenance, not cutting. Dusting is a method of trimming that involves cutting very small amounts of hair off at regular intervals. Dusting usually only involves cutting less than 1” of the hair.
The beauty of healthy tresses starts on the inside. Drinking plenty of water and eating a balanced diet is extremely important in maximizing hair growth and maintaining length. Drinking eight glasses of water every day will enable the body to properly rid itself of toxins and provide moisture to new growth. A diet rich in fresh fruits and vegetables is also necessary for growing healthy tresses. Green vegetables, fresh organic fruit, avocados, nuts, and fish all provide essential nutrients. Other nutritional supplements can be beneficial to hair as well. Biotin capsules, flaxseed oil, evening primrose oil, horsetail tea, carrot juice, super B vitamins, green tea and MSM have all proven to be great hair supplements.

I'm sorry this is SOOOOOOOOOO long, but I wanted to be thorough and I am a lady of many words :lachen:

Good luck and keep us posted! ;)

Thanks everyone for the fast responses. And WOW, divine, your post was awesome!!! I read the newbie page, and it was very informative. I just need to do the trial and era as you suggested, to get a good solid routine. I debated on the MTG for a few days after reading numerous posts, and decided upon adding that as a part of my new routine. I ordered some tonight;) .

I hoping to achieve happy heathy hair first, with some length as time goes on! Is their a particular place that I can read a few of the ladies here routine, to kinda get a foundation?

I really feel Im going to fit in just fine here. I wish I would have stumbled across this site 3yrs ago before I began the grow, chop, grow, chop phase.....started to get frustrated, ya know?!?!?! Oh, and one more thing....as far as wrapping, Divine u suggested not wrapping, what is it that you do(or anyone) an night to your hair? I know you said a satin pillow case, but other than that is your hair free falling?

Ok now, Im getting windy:lol: I just have so many questions bubblin in this brain of mine:D

TIA girls, lild

I'll PM you my hairtine since I've said too much already...lol...

If wrapping isn't causing breakage or thinning, I say wrap it on up! Sylver2 has been doin it since dinosaurs roamed the earth (just kiddin) and she hasn't had any problems. Wrapping was wonderful for me for about 3.5 years, but since I've moved to Cali, I've had to give my hair more attention b/c the climate is incredibly dry. I digress; you may want to experiment with not wrapping for a month or two and just see how your hair does, especially if you have thinning temples/nape.
This week I've just been wearing a bonnet b/c I did what I call a duckbill set which is comparable to a twistout/braidout. I just finished spritzing with a mixture of distilled water, S-Curl, and rosemary oil. Then I just put the bonnet on top...no manipulation. If your hair is straight, you may wanna tie the top part down and put a bonnet over the remainder as Sylver suggested in another thread. You could also consider grabbing the hair as if you're gonna make pigtails and pull the hair in the right hand to the left, and pull the hair in the left hand to the right. Smooth the hair against the head and use a clip to secure it. Wrap the scarf of the hair, then pull the clips out. If done correctly, this leaves me with a wrapped look minus the breakage & thin temples, I absolutely love doing this when my relaxer is fresh or after a roller set...works like a charm.
HTH...

Thanks Divine

I would appreciate you PM'g me your hairtine.

Thanks for making me feel at home, everyone whos responded to my post:D

lild

Welcome and good luck with your hair. I too am on a quest for thicker hair even though my folks say its thick , I know it could be thicker. :scratchch

Hi :newbie: , glad to have you here. I'm fairly new myself and already in the swing of things, so you'll have a routine filled w/ staples in no time. Divine said it all I couldn't have said it better, I can add that when keeping the old hair moisturized/ ends/ the baggie method is great and helps retain length, it's in the new comers guide also. HTH;)

Back