Need some advice before I do something I might regret..

Hi everyone,

I really don't feel like doing my own hair- it takes around 2 hours just to wash my own hair minus the fatigued arms and wrinkly skin after getting out of the shower.

There's a new dominican salon open nearby and they said would charge me $30 for a blowout after first asking if I would like a perm. smh.

I just need my hair to be in a stretched style. Right now it's in tangled bun and most likely will stay that way because I really do not enjoy the amount of time it takes to wash and style my hair. It's been about 3 months since I've had my hair straightened + trimmed and a little over a year since I've been to any salon. I'm also trying to reach WL- is going to the salon a bad idea?

Short term - I say try them out to give yourself a break. I surely wouldn't be taking them a head full of tangles though. You need to detangle your hair first, I wouldn't trust that to someone else.

Long term - Maybe you can alternate doing your own hair with trips to the salon. Also, if you really hate doing your hair so much now perhaps WL hair isn't for you?

Try them. It only takes one visit for yyou to decide if they're worth a second trip. After the visit do an inspection. Try to concentrate more on the feel and overall health of your hair and not how it looks so much. And do be afraid to speak up because if you don't stylist will do whatever they want to your hair.

and i agree with starfish alternate back and forth. Don't become dependent on a stylist. And maybe you should rethink having waist length hair.

I love Dominican salons, but I remember the stress my sister (who is a 4b) went through when I took her with me. Luckily my preferred stylist was there and quickly snatched the comb out of the hands of the girl who was nervously staring at my sister's wet hair over the shampoo bowl, because things could have gotten ugly quick. Just make sure that if you go, the person who does your hair has experience with type 4 natural hair.

Hmmm. I have fine strands and I appeared bald after a blow out. Maybe if you just let them
rollerset it with a really light blow out at the roots...

do it after growing your hair that long you deserve a reward BUT I'd pick a different dominican play the relaxer comment would have been my turn off point

If I were you I wouldn't do it. You said it's something you might regret...so your mind is telling you NO!
I would invest in a maxiglide. Good luck

do it after growing your hair that long you deserve a reward BUT I'd pick a different dominican play the relaxer comment would have been my turn off point

Definitely treat yourself to a break but choose a different salon. I'd be scared they might put relaxer in the conditioner with that comment.

If I were you I wouldn't do it. You said it's something you might regret...so your mind is telling you NO!
I would invest in a maxiglide. Good luck

I was about to say the same thing. If you have to think about regretting it, you probably will.

Do you not trust the stylist at that particular salon? Maybe you should switch. Give yourself a break.

Short term - I say try them out to give yourself a break. I surely wouldn't be taking them a head full of tangles though. You need to detangle your hair first, I wouldn't trust that to someone else.

Long term - Maybe you can alternate doing your own hair with trips to the salon. Also, if you really hate doing your hair so much now perhaps WL hair isn't for you?

I agree with all except the last part respectively goohwtbs (I left out the "tf"). I UNDERSTAND. I'm mbl and 4A too and it is tiresome. But I AIN'T cutting it. It's actually more hair but easier to deal with when styled (but washing/
styling is the beast). And really long hair is just grrrrrrreat! So I know and understand the dilemma. It made me actually consider relaxing several times as I also have graves and (recently diagnosed fibromyalgia when I've been trying to figure out why I've had so much pain for years)
so really between two illnesses I have fatigue and pain and it's NOT fun to then detangle, etc. BUT my hair makes me happy so I chose to keep it. I'd also recommend braiding it up when you're tired and/or weaving it to give yourself a break. I decided between these two methods, and going to a dominican salon every once and a while I'll get the break I need.
Perhaps you can take on these suggestions and even include braiding and/or weaving and/or wig to give yourself the break you need?

If you do it, bring your own deep conditioner!!
I don't trust salons.

I don't either. For me I think what I'm going to do is I'll wash and condition/detangle/put in abraid, and then go over there to have them roller set and then flat iron the roots. There's one in the village in nyc that I'm thinking of. Of course I'll have to catch cab with a wet braid, but oh well. I think it's best. That way I'm not worried about the handling and washing and detangling of natural hair when I'm there. So really it'll be like a half break for me. Then of course I hope to do it at home. I pm'd you asking question about your products a couple days ago as I know you rollerset at home....

I agree with all except the last part respectively goohwtbs (I left out the "tf"). I UNDERSTAND. I'm mbl and 4A too and it is tiresome. But I AIN'T cutting it. It's actually more hair but easier to deal with when styled (but washing/
styling is the beast). And really long hair is just grrrrrrreat! So I know and understand the dilemma. It made me actually consider relaxing several times as I also have graves and (recently diagnosed fibromyalgia when I've been trying to figure out why I've had so much pain for years)
so really between two illnesses I have fatigue and pain and it's NOT fun to then detangle, etc. BUT my hair makes me happy so I chose to keep it. I'd also recommend braiding it up when you're tired and/or weaving it to give yourself a break. I decided between these two methods, and going to a dominican salon every once and a while I'll get the break I need.
Perhaps you can take on these suggestions and even include braiding and/or weaving and/or wig to give yourself the break you need?

I agree with you 100%- :yep:
WL will still be my goal I will just have to find a way to give myself a break every once in awhile without risking the health of my hair

Back