Need long hair henna help-The tangles, the mess

Ms Lala

Hi Ladies,

AFter much research I did my first ( and maybe last) henna treatment yesterday.The application went fine and then I let it sit for 5 hours ( I did a strand test prior). I used Reshma henna mixed w/water. The color took to my hair very well and I can tell my hair is stronger. BUT, I had a big mass of tangles after rinsing out. I did a DC w/Silk Elements moisturizing Treatment and I used Tresseme Natural condish to rinse.
I ended up having to rinse before and after my DC to get all the henna out. Usually I wash my hair in braids or sections to prevent this but it was very hard rinsing out the henna the way I usually wash my hair. Plus I had to rinse soooooo much and I think all that manipulation contributed to the tangles. It took me 6 hours to get all of the tangles out my hair, I have never had tangled hair like that. Not to mention my tub was an absolute disaster area when I was done. There was residue everywhere.
How do people do this weekly? I must have done something wrong. My hair feels good now though.

Any suggestions on how to eliminate tangling like these when hennaing and how to clean up or make less mess? Did I perhaps use too much henna? I have a whole batch left that I don't want to waste.
I like the results but I don't think I can go through this again.

I fill my sink/tub full of water and submerge my hair in that. I have a large cup that I use to keep pouring water over and over my hair. Yes, the water is now murky henna water, but the point is to focus on getting all the henna out. Once I feel like 80-90% has been washed away, I let the water out.

I then, perform a cowash (usually I only need 1 maybe 2). I rinse that pretty well, then I re-fill the sink with more water and submerge my hair to get any left over residue out. That's when it's time to apply my dc.

The only time my hair is not in braids/sections is when I do henna. Keeping my hair swishing through the water keeps me from manually manipulating my hair. The only time my hands really touch my hair and scalp is when I begin my co-wash session.

I fill my sink/tub full of water and submerge my hair in that. I have a large cup that I use to keep pouring water over and over my hair. Yes, the water is now murky henna water, but the point is to focus on getting all the henna out. Once I feel like 80-90% has been washed away, I let the water out.

I then, perform a cowash (usually I only need 1 maybe 2). I rinse that pretty well, then I re-fill the sink with more water and submerge my hair to get any left over residue out. That's when it's time to apply my dc.

The only time my hair is not in braids/sections is when I do henna. Keeping my hair swishing through the water keeps me from manually manipulating my hair. The only time my hands really touch my hair and scalp is when I begin my co-wash session.

Thanks so much for responding. So do you flip your head upside down into the tub? Also how did you prep you hair for the henna? Maybe I did something wrong there. I poo'd first maybe I shouldn't have.

Thanks so much for responding. So do you flip your head upside down into the tub? Also how did you prep you hair for the henna? Maybe I did something wrong there. I poo'd first maybe I shouldn't have.

There was a point in time where I'd clarify w/ the baking soda/condish mixture. That doesn't happen anymore though. Now, I'll ususally use some sort of cleansing ayurvedic powder (shikakai/maka/brahmi) and moisturizing.

Yes, I flip my head over in the tub, kinda like if you were getting ready to wash the tub out. :yep: I dont' add any special mixes in my henna. I only add water in mine as well. The biggest thing imo is making sure you rinse, rinse, rinse...and then rinse 2 more times wish water before doing a good co-wash.

There was a point in time where I'd clarify w/ the baking soda/condish mixture. That doesn't happen anymore though. Now, I'll ususally use some sort of cleansing ayurvedic powder (shikakai/maka/brahmi) and moisturizing.

Yes, I flip my head over in the tub, kinda like if you were getting ready to wash the tub out. :yep: I dont' add any special mixes in my henna. I only add water in mine as well. The biggest thing imo is making sure you rinse, rinse, rinse...and then rinse 2 more times wish water before doing a good co-wash.

Yeah I think I'm going to skip the poo next time (if there is one, I'm kind of traumatize right now) and I will try dunking. Now I don't ever pile my wet hair up or flip it upside down if I can avoid it. You don't get tangles from this or are you getting the tangles out w/the conditioner? Sorry so many questions.

Hi Ms. Lala,

Your first experience with henna kind of sounds like mine. I felt like I was rinsing forever, but the end results were so beautiful. I have hennaed several times now using Nupur Henna, but this last time, I added yogurt and an egg to my henna mix.

It made the mix more slippery, less runny, and it rinsed out so much easier. The consistency was kind of like a thick conditioner and I didn't get any on my floor like I usually do. I didn't have to manipulate it as much to get the henna out. I imagine if I tried to rinse my hair in braids with henna, I would lose a lot of hair.

I have heard yogurt may loosen your curl pattern though, and it did seem to loosen mine a little temporarily. You can always just add an egg or a little conditioner to your henna mix to. If you have a handheld shower hose with a powerful spray, it certainly helps.

I also forgot to add that I cover my hair with saran wrap to keep the henna from drying out and cowash the henna out after rinsing instead of using shampoo.

Last edited:
my hair isnt long but ... lol

but this is what I do.

i rinse initially with just water to get the first bit of henna out, then I add a cheepie condish like VO5 to a section of my hair, work it in and finger detangle, then twist it up then do that for the rest of my hair.

then I stand under the shower again with my hair twisted up in sections and rinse

then, I rinse each section. I may have to do this 3 or so times, but when Im finished Im done, detangled and everthing.

maybe u can try this next time around

Yeah I think I'm going to skip the poo next time (if there is one, I'm kind of traumatize right now) and I will try dunking. Now I don't ever pile my wet hair up or flip it upside down if I can avoid it. You don't get tangles from this or are you getting the tangles out w/the conditioner? Sorry so many questions.
You're not really piling it on your head. You're swishing it around. When I lift up to apply for the cowash, my hair is hanging down towards my ears. Yes, that is when I apply conditioner for co-wash. I usually don't detangle until either cowash #2 or when I do the moisturizing DC.

eta: I've only used Reshma henna once. I know some rave review it..It was aiight for me. :ohwell: I love Karishma though :love:

my hair isnt long but ... lol

but this is what I do.

i rinse initially with just water to get the first bit of henna out, then I add a cheepie condish like VO5 to a section of my hair, work it in and finger detangle, then twist it up then do that for the rest of my hair.

then I stand under the shower again with my hair twisted up in sections and rinse

then, I rinse each section. I may have to do this 3 or so times, but when Im finished Im done, detangled and everthing.

maybe u can try this next time around

This sounds similar to my wash routine. I think I'm going to try this and then your hair is already detangled etc... . Since my hair is long I think I will try the dunk/soaking idea to get the first bits out then try your suggestion of using the running water and twisting.

I do alot of the things the previous posters have mentioned co-wash with v05 or others that have lots of slip, not focusing on detangling until the hair is really soft (moisturized/since henna can be a bit drying), and adding oil (quite a bit too/so you must be careful in the shower/tub) but it really helps to remove all henna. Amla oil is good for this..i can't think of many others right now I've been too lazy to henna. I was going real strong with henna at the end of 08'-09'.

ETA: I don't have long hair either. I don't know if you already do this but..You can put the oil on the hair or in the henna or both.

Last edited:
I know it's cold outside, but I rinse my henna out in the backyard. I would make such a mess in the bathroom it was ridiculous. So I fill up a pitcher and DH rinses my hair our in the grass. No muss no fuss.

I also mix my henna with conditioner. For me less tangles and better moisturized.

I think I read that some ladies do an oil rinse after henna to help with slip and tangles. I can't remember which thread I read that in. Hopefully someone with more experience can elaborate. Good luck!

I do alot of the things the previous posters have mentioned co-wash with v05 or others that have lots of slip, not focusing on detangling until the hair is really soft (moisturized/since henna can be a bit drying), and adding oil (quite a bit too/so you must be careful in the shower/tub) but it really helps to remove all henna. Amla oil is good for this..i can't think of many others right now I've been too lazy to henna. I was going real strong with henna at the end of 08'-09'.

ETA: I don't have long hair either. I don't know if you already do this but..You can put the oil on the hair or in the henna or both.

I didn't use oil. I have some Amla oil too, it makes my hair so dark and shiny.

I know it's cold outside, but I rinse my henna out in the backyard. I would make such a mess in the bathroom it was ridiculous. So I fill up a pitcher and DH rinses my hair our in the grass. No muss no fuss.

I also mix my henna with conditioner. For me less tangles and better moisturized.

Girl that's serious. I live in an apt. though.

I think I read that some ladies do an oil rinse after henna to help with slip and tangles. I can't remember which thread I read that in. Hopefully someone with more experience can elaborate. Good luck!

I really think I'm going to try the oil too.

Thanks for all the idea. I may really give henna another chance now; I really like the way my hair looks.

I use beaten egg and lots of honey in the henna paste for an easy rinse
I rinse for 5 to 10 minutes with water using pulsating hand held shower head until water runs clear
Saturate hair with oil for oil rinse, add a shot of hot water, massage oil through scalp and ends
Rinse with warm water. shed hairs will slide down to ends.
Saturate hair with conditioner, wash body to give conditioner time to soak in (and remove grit from your skin, rinse the shower stall, curtains)
Use shower massager to wash out conditioner. Repeat if you feel grit.
When hair rinses silky clean, saturate with conditioner and detangle starting at ends using fingers or shower comb
NOTE: Use the hand held shower massager to keep water going in one direction on your hair, toward forehead, over crown, and down back. You can turn your head or guide a section of hair over your shoulder as needed but let the WATER do the work for you. HTH

I am definitely not long yet lol...but I have just done my 2nd henna treatment so I wanted to let you know what works for me.

The first time I henna'd, I did a clarifying poo immediately beforehand. BIG MISTAKE. My hair was more tangled than usual after I rinsed out the henna. This time, I gave myself a mini-DC before the henna. Basically, I co-washed with V05 MM and let it sit for about 15 minutes. Then I rinsed and applied the henna. MAJOR difference when I rinsed the henna out. My hair wasn't very tangled at all, and it was much softer. BTW- I left the henna on for about 8.5 hours.

I'd also suggest (am I making a suggestion to one of my hair idols? :lachen:) that maybe you add some moisturizing ingredients to your henna mix. My mixture looks drying before I add in my oils and conditioners.

HTH!

I use beaten egg and lots of honey in the henna paste for an easy rinse
I rinse for 5 to 10 minutes with water using pulsating hand held shower head until water runs clear
Saturate hair with oil for oil rinse, add a shot of hot water, massage oil through scalp and ends
Rinse with warm water. shed hairs will slide down to ends.
Saturate hair with conditioner, wash body to give conditioner time to soak in (and remove grit from your skin, rinse the shower stall, curtains)
Use shower massager to wash out conditioner. Repeat if you feel grit.
When hair rinses silky clean, saturate with conditioner and detangle starting at ends using fingers or shower comb
NOTE: Use the hand held shower massager to keep water going in one direction on your hair, toward forehead, over crown, and down back. You can turn your head or guide a section of hair over your shoulder as needed but let the WATER do the work for you. HTH

I've been wanting a hand held shower attachment. I may invest in one.

I am definitely not long yet lol...but I have just done my 2nd henna treatment so I wanted to let you know what works for me.

The first time I henna'd, I did a clarifying poo immediately beforehand. BIG MISTAKE. My hair was more tangled than usual after I rinsed out the henna. This time, I gave myself a mini-DC before the henna. Basically, I co-washed with V05 MM and let it sit for about 15 minutes. Then I rinsed and applied the henna. MAJOR difference when I rinsed the henna out. My hair wasn't very tangled at all, and it was much softer. BTW- I left the henna on for about 8.5 hours.

I'd also suggest (am I making a suggestion to one of my hair idols? :lachen:) that maybe you add some moisturizing ingredients to your henna mix. My mixture looks drying before I add in my oils and conditioners.

HTH!

I did the same thing. I clarified my hair really well based on what others suggested. That may have been a big part of the problem. Girl there is alot I don't know so thanks for the suggestions!

I rinse out in the shower. First putting my head under the water but avoiding letting it hit my body to get as much henna as I can out. When the water starts running light brown I start seperating in approx 8 plaits. Each section I saturate with either aussie moist or suave coconut rinse then I comb with the shower comb. Then I braid that plait up. After I do that with my whole head. Then, I do it again one by one ( a lot I know lol) then I rinse with cold water- in plaits.

A Lot I know but this system keeps the mess at minimum and tangles down.

Also the condsish or henna use has an effect on your rinse out.

I've been wanting a hand held shower attachment. I may invest in one.

I did the same thing. I clarified my hair really well based on what others suggested. That may have been a big part of the problem. Girl there is alot I don't know so thanks for the suggestions!
This may very well be your problem. I do a hot oil treatment with coconut, honey and rosemary oil then shampoo with Dr. Bronner before my henna.

I think it is beneficial to have some type of oil in the hair athough people say it harms the dye release. The benefits seem to outwiegh the harm.

Also have you thought of adding yougurt? They call it curd on the henna packages. I did that the first couple times I henned

I think it is beneficial to have some type of oil in the hair athough people say it harms the dye release. The benefits seem to outwiegh the harm.

Forums at Long hair community, indusladies and henna4hair have discussions on freezing the paste, adding acv, avj, realemon juice, yogurt, etc. to reduce dye release time. You can put dye released henna on oiled hair or add oil to dye released henna before applying to your hair. HTH

Girls......I am in henna He|l right now as I'm reading this thread, Glad this is here. OMG. I don't know why I got the henna bug the same time as you Lala. But yes, with long hair (and mind you I'm not nearly as long as you) this is insane.

I used Cassia henna the non color releasing kind. I had a henna melt that I broke up and mixed with black tea, yogurt and some shea oil and coconut oil..

I left it on for 40 minutes.

Ohhhhh the tangles. I have been dunking my head in a big plastic bowl in the sink and that is helping.. Woooo I wasn't prepared for this.. Also the little yogurt bits....Awful!

I hav a bit of amla upstairs I'm about to get it and pour it on.

WHY DID I DO THIS!!!!>>?????

Ho Ho Ho. Merry Christmas.

Well, I made it out of the nightmare. I had a big plastic bowl ( That I use for potato salad.) I just kept filling it with water and dunking my head in it. swishing my head around. dumping it refill and repeat. I did this about 15 times and the water was murky each time. I started seeing less debris by the 17th & 18th dunk.

Then I went and poured and squeezeed amla oil and JBCO on my hair and scalp.

Got in the shower and added Bee Mine Deep Conditioner to my hair one section at a time ( about 8 sections) That cond Detangles for me like no other. I was very heavy with it and used the shower comb to gently comb through each area and then the shower head to rinse it out.

SUCCESS!

My hair feels really great today. I have not sworn off henna because I like how my hair feels not that the catastrophe has been avoided.

Next time I will not use yogurt and I will make the henna paste smoother and creamier.

Hi Ladies,

AFter much research I did my first ( and maybe last) henna treatment yesterday.The application went fine and then I let it sit for 5 hours ( I did a strand test prior). I used Reshma henna mixed w/water. The color took to my hair very well and I can tell my hair is stronger. BUT, I had a big mass of tangles after rinsing out. I did a DC w/Silk Elements moisturizing Treatment and I used Tresseme Natural condish to rinse.
I ended up having to rinse before and after my DC to get all the henna out. Usually I wash my hair in braids or sections to prevent this but it was very hard rinsing out the henna the way I usually wash my hair. Plus I had to rinse soooooo much and I think all that manipulation contributed to the tangles. It took me 6 hours to get all of the tangles out my hair, I have never had tangled hair like that. Not to mention my tub was an absolute disaster area when I was done. There was residue everywhere.
How do people do this weekly? I must have done something wrong. My hair feels good now though.

Any suggestions on how to eliminate tangling like these when hennaing and how to clean up or make less mess? Did I perhaps use too much henna? I have a whole batch left that I don't want to waste.
I like the results but I don't think I can go through this again.

My main question would be...did you shower or flip your head over in the sink...?

Showering can help detangle the hair while flipping it over in the sink...makes a big mess. LOL

AA

I wash and detangle BEFORE putting in the henna. First I detangle using a cheap conditioner on dry hair. I put my hair in braids, undo and wash each section, and rebraid. I put the henna on each detangled section and rebraid. After letting the henna sit on my hair for desired time, I rinse out my hair over the tub in the loose braids. Once the water appears to run clearer, I get in the shower and thoroughly rinse and DC each section and rebraid. This method keeps my hair from being tangled and helps with the rinse out. This method, with others suggestions on mixing would probably help a lot in the rinsing.

Well, I made it out of the nightmare. I had a big plastic bowl ( That I use for potato salad.) I just kept filling it with water and dunking my head in it. swishing my head around. dumping it refill and repeat. I did this about 15 times and the water was murky each time. I started seeing less debris by the 17th & 18th dunk.

Then I went and poured and squeezeed amla oil and JBCO on my hair and scalp.

Got in the shower and added Bee Mine Deep Conditioner to my hair one section at a time ( about 8 sections) That cond Detangles for me like no other. I was very heavy with it and used the shower comb to gently comb through each area and then the shower head to rinse it out.

SUCCESS!

My hair feels really great today. I have not sworn off henna because I like how my hair feels not that the catastrophe has been avoided.

Next time I will not use yogurt and I will make the henna paste smoother and creamier.

I sent you a pm before I saw this. I'm glad to know your hair is okay.

A lot of the problems you ladies are having can be solved by making changes to your henna recipes. My recipe is simple:

Per 100 grams of Henna
1 small can (5.5 oz) coconut milk
Honey
Yogurt
coconut oil
black tea - added last to get the consistency you want - smooth and creamy

This is a recipe that has been used in my family for years. I've never had a problem rinsing out or with tangling. Also, I would recommend rinsing in the shower instead of hanging your head upside down.

HTH

ETA: to get smooth creamy mixture, use an electric hand mixer.

Last edited:
I can vouch for curlicarib's recipe!!! I have been using it for several months and it works great!!! :)

Back