Need jamila henna and indigo

s_terry said:
Atlanta JJ where are you getting this Henna? I am in ATL as well and want to purchase some. DO I need to call someone so that can get it is stock for me?

TIA

A lady in Marietta assured me she would get a shipment at the end of this week. I will def let you know when I hear from her!! Woo Hoo we'll all be the Lovely Henna Heads:lol:

Armyqt said:
You are so lucky. Wish me luck with my local jamila search :D

I have my fingers crossed for you! I really hope you're able to find it. I looked for a while and then, ironically, I found it right down the street! So keep hope alive. ;) :)

Armyqt said:
Thank you. :) I am hooked on henna now. I just hennaed my daughter's naturals (no dye release) and I loved it. I want to do hers every 2 weeks and mine wkly.

Okay, explain how you did this. I want to use it on my daughter's natural hair. One is 9 and the other is 5. I DO NOT want to color thier hair, but I do want to condition it.

I found Karishma herbal henna (henna mixed with amla, reetha, brinranj, and some other herbs. An indian friend of mine swears by it.) and another brand.

rosie said:
Okay, explain how you did this. I want to use it on my daughter's natural hair. One is 9 and the other is 5. I DO NOT want to color thier hair, but I do want to condition it.

I found Karishma herbal henna (henna mixed with amla, reetha, brinranj, and some other herbs. An indian friend of mine swears by it.) and another brand.

I'm no henna expert, so everything I'm going to sday is based on what I've read the monstrous henna thread. :lol:

First off, in order for henna to color the hair, the dye needs to be released with what's know as a terp. Something acidic like lemons or ACV. There are others, but I can't recall. You also need to let it sit for about 12-16 hours for the dye to release once mixed. Heat is also another factor that will cause the dye to release.

SO here's how I've been using it. I simply mix the henna into a paste with cold water. Add conditioner and amla oil and I'm done. I apply it right away, place a plastic cap on my head and let it sit for an hour or two. That is it. I think this method is referred to as a henna glaze. WHich is a procedure that provides the benefits of strengthening and conditioning the hair without coloring.

With all of that said. There was one person in that thread who stated she did this and it turned her sister's hair red. Therefore it's very important to get information here as to which brands others have used with success. One other thing worth noting is that henna will probably always deposit some type of color into the hair, howver faint. But it cannot turn black hair red. My daughter and I both have black hair. I did find a strand of grey after I hennaed and noticed it had a slight tint to it. Nothing drastic, but it was there.

Also, I think it's really important when starting out to start with the basics. Which to me is 100% lawsonia (henna) (not mixed with anything) and then add a few conditioing agents to it. As you become more comfortable, then you can start to play with your mixtures.

ANd last but not least, always do a harvest test. I didn't do it, because I'm a daredevil like that :lol: I was pretty sure that nothing drastic would happen. But I do believe it's an important step. I was just too impatient. I wanted to get the henna in my hair. :p

Well good luck and I hope this helps you. :)

rosie said:

I have a bag of that too, I haven't tried it yet, I want to try straight up Jamila...I'm going to whip up a batch tonight, let it set and do it's magic thing....

Armyqt said:
I'm no henna expert, so everything I'm going to sday is based on what I've read the monstrous henna thread. :lol:

First off, in order for henna to color the hair, the dye needs to be released with what's know as a terp. Something acidic like lemons or ACV. There are others, but I can't recall. You also need to let it sit for about 12-16 hours for the dye to release once mixed. Heat is also another factor that will cause the dye to release.

SO here's how I've been using it. I simply mix the henna into a paste with cold water. Add conditioner and amla oil and I'm done. I apply it right away, place a plastic cap on my head and let it sit for an hour or two. That is it. I think this method is referred to as a henna glaze. WHich is a procedure that provides the benefits of strengthening and conditioning the hair without coloring.

With all of that said. There was one person in that thread who stated she did this and it turned her sister's hair red. Therefore it's very important to get information here as to which brands others have used with success. One other thing worth noting is that henna will probably always deposit some type of color into the hair, howver faint. But it cannot turn black hair red. My daughter and I both have black hair. I did find a strand of grey after I hennaed and noticed it had a slight tint to it. Nothing drastic, but it was there.

Also, I think it's really important when starting out to start with the basics. Which to me is 100% lawsonia (henna) (not mixed with anything) and then add a few conditioing agents to it. As you become more comfortable, then you can start to play with your mixtures.

ANd last but not least, always do a harvest test. I didn't do it, because I'm a daredevil like that :lol: I was pretty sure that nothing drastic would happen. But I do believe it's an important step. I was just too impatient. I wanted to get the henna in my hair. :p

Well good luck and I hope this helps you. :)
To echo ArmyQT there are some brands, Naajo is one that I know that is called instant henna...the Indian ladies love this brand, you don't have to let it sit to release the color... One lady says she makes a paste with an egg and when she's done her hair shines like glass (her words). I think I would skip the egg because it's already like a protein treatment...right???

So be careful not to get the instant color henna....

Henna In ATL

s_terry said:
Atlanta JJ where are you getting this Henna? I am in ATL as well and want to purchase some. DO I need to call someone so that can get it is stock for me?

TIA

I went to Patel Brothers 1711 Church Street in Decatur, phone # 404-296-2696 and they had a bunch! $1.99 per box.

JJ

If you are doing your henna regularly yes it is in your best interest to get the best prices locally. You can find those boxes of henna for cheaper and if they come from India or Pakistan you are getting more or less something pure usually. But it also best to check in with the company.
Why the prices of the henna powders you find online are much higher is for certain reasons. First off, the henna powders in the store are not body art quality. Even if you do find Jamila if there is no date at the bottom of the box (like summer crop 2006) then you are buying henna for hair. Henna for hair is always cheaper because the dye content is not as high. The body art quality is the type of quality where they take the top leaves of the plant and that has the most lawsone (you can contact jamila company and they will explain this to you) dye content.
Body art quality is also the freshest quality you will find, and lastly the best sift. Sometimes you end up washing out more sticks and debris then you wash out powder. You can see this as you are washing out your hair.

These are some of the reasons the prices of henna vary. Your best bet in the stores would be if you found Jamila brand henna as the company is very reliable.

Once you find any herbal treatment that contains henna in it then you will definetely have color. Henna is a plant on its own, no one plants makes two different colors od dye, it just doesn't make sense.
Like they call black henna as they do but it is really indigo usually.
Neutral henna is really cassia obovata. It can be confusing at times but I hope this helps.

Shikakai is a good and popular conditioning treatment found in India for hair, along with cassia is good too. Amla will give you volume and wave.

Oh one other thing, when you take pictures of other people's photos without permission they might get upset. That photo of the Jamila box belongs to a henna artist who sells some products on ebay. I hope you asked her first if you could use her picture because I have seen to many people get into things like that where they just get angry about it. I just wanted to give the heads up.

Henna Sooq said:
Oh one other thing, when you take pictures of other people's photos without permission they might get upset. That photo of the Jamila box belongs to a henna artist who sells some products on ebay. I hope you asked her first if you could use her picture because I have seen to many people get into things like that where they just get angry about it. I just wanted to give the heads up.

It's a photo of a BOX, not a person :confused: ....but oh, well

Henna Sooq said:

So this person designed the box that is being sold nation wide? I have this same exact Jamila at home that I purchased locally.

It's not that she designed the box, but what hurts people is that when people take some work that they did. Like she took the time to take the picture, set it up so it looks nice, and put some henna powder into a pretty little bowl, and it's her advertisement. It is just the issue of respecting the person to ask them if it would be okay. It's the same with artwork, some people get offended if you take their henna artistry and show it on the web without at least asking.
I know many of you are not selling henna, but if I took her picture and put it on my site, wouldn't she have a right to be upset with me?

Henna Sooq said:
It would only be an infringement if someone used the photo to sell a simular product on Ebay or another website with the intent for sales.

What I print out on my home printer and carry around with me is my business and my right.

AtlantaJJ said:

Beware of bootleg, look for this packaging:

jam06.jpg

I am using this photo to show an example of the product, not to sell the product. To clarify.

Henna Sooq said:

What the...:confused:

AtlantaJJ said:
It would only be an infringement if someone used the photo to sell a simular product on Ebay or another website with the intent for sales.

What I print out on my home printer and carry around with me is my business and my right.

That's right!! ;)

Armyqt said:
Where can I purchase these online? I want a place that has both, reasonable price, and shipped by the end of the week. I have to say I've totally fallen in love with henna and plan to use it weekly on my hair. I've done 2 treatments so far. And I did one of my daughter's naturals today. I will do hers 2x a month. Thanks :)

I found a web site, the lady is located in CA and she sells Rajasthani BAQ at a very reasonable price!! I have communicated directly with her and I have placed an order and should be getting it any day. I'll give you her web site through PM because I don't want to broadcast until I check this out and give my seal of approval. I think this is going to work out and be a good place for our Henna Co-op team to make a group purchase.

Check your PM! QT....

AtlantaJJ said:
I found a web site, the lady is located in CA and she sells Rajasthani BAQ at a very reasonable price!! I have communicated directly with her and I have placed an order and should be getting it any day. I'll give you her web site through PM because I don't want to broadcast until I check this out and give my seal of approval. I think this is going to work out and be a good place for our Henna Co-op team to make a group purchase.

Check your PM! QT....
ETA..it don't matter no more.

Last edited:
I misread, my bad, I thought she said she found her website (the pictures owner), but there are good companies in CA as well that sell Body Art Quality henna, we all network together and refer each other to other people. Like Henna Caravan is good and Henna Lounge is good too. They both carry top quality powders at great prices!

black henna is really and truly indigo. Indigo is also a hair dye but can also be used as body art (crystalized form). It makes your hair black.

I just wanted to apologize for offending anyone earlier on about the picture thing.

Henna Sooq said:
I just wanted to apologize for offending anyone earlier on about the picture thing.

Apology accepted, but not necessary. I only have good intentions at heart here, I want to help my sisters understand that there are two types of Jamila henna and give them an example of how to detect the difference between the two when they order locally or online.

I appreciate the information you share with us regarding henna, indigo and the different ways they can be used (like glossing, that's really cool)

I love reading about all these wonderful new henna experiences!! That does my heart good. It looks like this is a good industry to be in also; through my research I see there is a very strong network of artists. It's a whole new world of henna out there!

Henna Sooq said:
I misread, my bad, I thought she said she found her website (the pictures owner), but there are good companies in CA as well that sell Body Art Quality henna, we all network together and refer each other to other people. Like Henna Caravan is good and Henna Lounge is good too. They both carry top quality powders at great prices!
I found www.thehennalounge.com through an artist's web site who is located in Savannah of all places....

Thanks ! Yeah at the Henna Lounge, Darcy has a warmth around her. She's a pleasure to work with.
I don't know what I would do without networking. Even though it's made me into a bit of a computer junkie.

Someone should write a book !!

Back