Need Help! Trying to Detangle My Hair

seraphim712

A portion of hair in the back of my head is very very matted and tangled near the roots. And when I mean tangeled, I mean a mass of hair about the size of a large grape seems to be inseparable. I've tried to use the Avocado Mist Detangler, and while it did manage to detangle some of my hair it doesn't seem that it's able to with the mass of hair. It's been like this for a few weeks now, and I've been keeping my hair in twists so I won't mess with it to much in fear of ripping my hair out on accident.

Is there any way I can get this out of my hair?

Last edited:
If you mean at the nape, what worked for me is clarifying (after conditioning) with baking soda mixed with water.

Since I started using that, my nape never tangles.

If you mean at the nape, what worked for me is clarifying (after conditioning) with baking soda mixed with water.

Since I started using that, my nape never tangles.

It's not at the nape. The tangles are located somewhere near the top of my head close to the scalp; but I will try clarifying with baking soda and water. How much baking soda do you add to the water?

i think that one time, someone suggested CHI serum for detangling, but i'd try it only if you have it on you, in other words, i wouldn't go out and buy it just for that, esp. if it don't work. hth.

It's not at the nape. The tangles are located somewhere near the top of my head close to the scalp; but I will try clarifying with baking soda and water. How much baking soda do you add to the water?

I put about 1 part BS to 6 parts water in a water bottle and smoosh it through.

Also, if you have a moisturizing conditioner you can add a small amount of salt water to it to increase slip. ( the Kiyafizzle thread )

IF you have coarse, strong hair, using Scurl activator can help detangle. ON my fine hair it just caused too much stretchiness and breakage.

HTH and good luck

i think that one time, someone suggested CHI serum for detangling, but i'd try it only if you have it on you, in other words, i wouldn't go out and buy it just for that, esp. if it don't work. hth.

I have some on me right now. If the baking soda mix doesn't work, I'll try that out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Try putting a conditioner with a lot of moisture and slip like OSR or honey suckle rose put a shower cap on let it sit for 10 min or so and gently pick the tangles apart with your hands. Or you could use a serum i use organix vanilla serum for a few min then separate with my fingers. Hope that helps matting is no fun... My hair matted up into a ball about a year a go due to a protein conditioner and it took me days to separate it:nono:..Good luck be careful and use moisture

Try putting a conditioner with a lot of moisture and slip like OSR or honey suckle rose put a shower cap on let it sit for 10 min or so and gently pick the tangles apart with your hands. Or you could use a serum i use organix vanilla serum for a few min then separate with my fingers. Hope that helps matting is no fun... My hair matted up into a ball about a year a go due to a protein conditioner and it took me days to separate it:nono:..Good luck be careful and use moisture

Thank you. I guess it's true that the longer hair gets, the more maintenance it has to go through to prevent things like this from happening.

How's it going this morning.

I didn't want to post yesterday because it sounded like you were in a real pickle.

I'm still in that pickle lol.

I decided to go ahead and set up an appointment with Balisi this coming up Friday. I managed to loosen some of the tangles in my hair with a sea salt/conditioner mix, but their is still a huge matted up area that I'm afraid to touch and a few very large knots left. When I washed my hair in the shower, large knots and tangles came out of my hair into the tub, but the matted part seemed to lock up even more. I hope that going to the salon can help because I'm afraid of outcome if I touch my hair again. The funny thing is, I think my hair reached armpit length, so I'm wondering if my hair is not used to this length just yet. I just hope that the end result won't leave me having to take a few steps back but I have a feelling that might happen. :ohwell:

Hope everything came out well at the salon. Maybe your new growth coils. Whatever you now know that, that spot needs extra attention.
I personally never had this problem but I had a client who would wear a braid out until it clump matted and I would have to saturate (dripping wet) her hair with a 50/50 mix of EVOO and Infusium, wrap in plastic & towel and leave in at least 30 min before I even attempted to co-wash. I couldn't even get my fingers through her matts - don't know why she wouldn't listen AHHHHH drove me crazy LOLOL

Back