(Need help) Should I do a corrective or just go straight?

PanamasOwn

So I am texlaxed, but lately my hair has become SUPER POOF. My wash n gos are ok, but they just seem so out there.. I want my hair to hang down just a tad more... (still with the texture) and I really would like to do a ponytail already (when I blowdry and flatiron my hair, I get one with no problem)

My dilemma is: I love my curls, but not the poofiness; I love my thickness but not the way it fros out; And I am realizing that even with one session of heat to straighten my hair, it is damaging. (I still have some straight sections that will not curl)

Question is: Should i just cut my losses and relax (bonestraight) and grow healthy hair form here or should I give my hair more time and just do a corrective to eliminate some of the poofiness so that I can get more hangtime with some curl def?

TIA! :ohwell:

when you do a corrective texlax, you run the risk of processing too much, and losing any sort of curl definition.

i don't want to sway you in one direction or the other, but consider the consequences of either action.

if you "bonelax" (hehe, that word makes me laugh), you might decide one day that you want to go through this all over again, and you'd have to re-transition, and re-texlax, and risk hitting the same problem all over again.

however, if you keep it the way it is, you'll have the "poof" that you're trying to get rid of.

pick the lesser of two evils :D

Personally, I love the way your hair is right now, really beautiful, you have the option of going very straight once in a while with a flat iron.

Just dont rush to make your decision

when you do a corrective texlax, you run the risk of processing too much, and losing any sort of curl definition.

i don't want to sway you in one direction or the other, but consider the consequences of either action.

if you "bonelax" (hehe, that word makes me laugh), you might decide one day that you want to go through this all over again, and you'd have to re-transition, and re-texlax, and risk hitting the same problem all over again.

however, if you keep it the way it is, you'll have the "poof" that you're trying to get rid of.

pick the lesser of two evils :D

true:ohwell: I guess I just keep hoping that my poofiness will die down soon with the weight of my hair, but I see no signs of that.. and I really can;t find a true hair twin to look for inspiration from (I have seen similar textures but do not know if they suffer my same woes) you know?

Maybe the use of MT is what has my hair going crazy. Maybe it is NG and I can't really tell because it is so close to my texlaxed texture.

(I hope that is what it is)....

Personally, I love the way your hair is right now, really beautiful, you have the option of going very straight once in a while with a flat iron.

Just dont rush to make your decision

Aww thank you Sweet gal... But me and my flat iron are not friends.. I STILL can't do (salon) like straight [another dilemma].

okay 72 people looked at this and no one has anything to add? C'mon ladies I am asking for advice/ help/ or an experience similar to mine.

BUMP.....

I don't have much advice to give becasue I pretty much just did the same thing that you are considering doing.

I got tired of the breakage fromt he two different textures so I'm bonelaxed now.

Its seems pretty ok to me now, but time will tell. I know I have to step up my moisture now since I used a no lye relaxer instead of lye.

I hope some of the other ladies can come in and give you some advice.

So I am texlaxed, but lately my hair has become SUPER POOF. My wash n gos are ok, but they just seem so out there.. I want my hair to hang down just a tad more... (still with the texture) and I really would like to do a ponytail already (when I blowdry and flatiron my hair, I get one with no problem)

My dilemma is: I love my curls, but not the poofiness; I love my thickness but not the way it fros out; And I am realizing that even with one session of heat to straighten my hair, it is damaging. (I still have some straight sections that will not curl)

Question is: Should i just cut my losses and relax (bonestraight) and grow healthy hair form here or should I give my hair more time and just do a corrective to eliminate some of the poofiness so that I can get more hangtime with some curl def?

TIA! :ohwell:

I've found as of late that using a diffuser has helped tremendously. I get great curl definition w/lezz frizz and it doesn't get AS big. Also, what products are you using for your WnG's? I usually cowash w/a moisturizing cond, rinse then CW again w/a conditioner made for curly hair. I let this sit while I wash up then rinse it out. I'll also add a lil more as a leave in. I've been applying Sunsilk Captivating Curls gel creme to my hair in sections before getting out of the shower. I run it thru w/my fingertips then kinda scrunch a lil bit into the ends. When I get out, I diffuse to about 80% dry then go on about my business. If you use conditioners or other products specifially for curly hair, use them after using a regular poo and/or condish. I say exhaust all options before deciding to do a corrective or relaxing bone straight. I don't think you really need to.

I've found as of late that using a diffuser has helped tremendously. I get great curl definition w/lezz frizz and it doesn't get AS big. Also, what products are you using for your WnG's? I usually cowash w/a moisturizing cond, rinse then CW again w/a conditioner made for curly hair. I let this sit while I wash up then rinse it out. I'll also add a lil more as a leave in. I've been applying Sunsilk Captivating Curls gel creme to my hair in sections before getting out of the shower. I run it thru w/my fingertips then kinda scrunch a lil bit into the ends. When I get out, I diffuse to about 80% dry then go on about my business. If you use conditioners or other products specifially for curly hair, use them after using a regular poo and/or condish. I say exhaust all options before deciding to do a corrective or relaxing bone straight. I don't think you really need to.

Sunsilk huh? I have heard great things about this and never tried it, but I guess now I will have to. Yeah I have a bunch of cheapie conditioners from Suave that are like Strawberry shakes (well at least smell like it).

Thanks ladies for replying I was really struggling.

Hola my fellow Panamanian! :gorgeous:

Our hair is very similar I'm not sure if we are hair twins but we are for sure hair cousins.

I love your hair the way it is, but I completely understand were you are coming from. I've relaxed gently in the past to were I get my hair to be bone straight with flat-iron or curling iron, but was able to wear a wash and go with "relaxed spirals" per say. Its a complicated dance of finding the right timing for leaving the relaxer in. So, if it were me I'd say let it grow more and see if the weight of the longer hair will help it lay down more. Wish I could give more advice but I'm a newbie.

When I got to that point I relaxed a little more, but I could have waited until it grew longer and hung down more. If you really like your texture now don't relax at all.Try some new techniques or give it more time to grow.

Back