Need Help...I am Discouraged..

SexySealina

I didn't realize how much I neglected and damaged my hair. Now that I have started my healthy hair journey I feel that my hair is unrepairable(?).
I am trying to get it healthy but it seems like nothing is working. My ends look horrific and my hair is underprocessd from my inability to do my own perm correctly. I need some help and encouragement. Can somebody help a sista out I don't want to cut it I just want it to be healthy is there hope for me.:wallbash::cry2::swearing:

You came to the right place, SexySealina and welcome!

My hair too was very damaged when I first came to LHCF and it only took a few weeks (yes weeks! :) ) before my hair was noticeably healthier. Just by finding a good regimen that works for you and your hair, you can easily have the healthy and longer hair you want

By the way, my hair was underprocessed by "accident" but now I underprocess my hair on purpose (texlaxing) for stronger, thicker hair. :)
You may want to have a professional relax your hair (or a good, experienced friiend) if you do not have the experience to do it.

Last edited:
check my fotki if you need motivation. my regime is also there in the "about me" section. also check Lusa's fotki. she's a member here.

Chin up SS! You are in the right place for help.
Could you describe your hair in greater detail...more info is helpful so that people can help you down the right path.

First, start with a good trim--from someone you know and trust. If you ends are really bad, no amount of conditioner is going to improve the situation. Please holding on to really damaged your can slow down your overall progress and could make you insecure about your appearance/hair so just get a nice trim to have a good foundation.

Get some QUALITY hair products(Kenra, Biolage, Nexxus)....Trust me, once your hair is on track, you can switch back to more cost effective solutions, but using quality products initially helps create an environment with healthy hair. Try using a heavy protein, rinse well and follow up with a Humectress, Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner, Paul Mitchell "The Conditioner"..

READ LHCF...nuff said about that.

Good luck with your hair..

I know the feeling! But you can do it!

Have you read Sistaslick's articles? They helped me out a lot. The advice she gives and product recommendations are on point.

(1.) Regimen Building (2.) Scalp Care (3.) Shedding & Breakage (4.)Relaxer Care
--> New Guides! 1.) Lye or No-Lye? 2.) Hair Porosity Testing 3.) Repairing Porous Hair

I hope I did that right. If not you can search her name. Her article links are in her signature. I gained much confidence and healthier hair following her directions.

HTH!

I didn't realize how much I neglected and damaged my hair. Now that I have started my healthy hair journey I feel that my hair is unrepairable(?).
I am trying to get it healthy but it seems like nothing is working. My ends look horrific and my hair is underprocessd from my inability to do my own perm correctly. I need some help and encouragement. Can somebody help a sista out I don't want to cut it I just want it to be healthy is there hope for me.:wallbash::cry2::swearing:

Hi SexySealina!

Please don't underestimate the benefits of regular (twice per week if your hair is really damaged) deep conditioning.

I had to re-focus my attention on "healthy" hair versus just "cute" hair. Stop focusing on your ends - moisturize, seal and hide them until you see an improvement. You may NOT be able to wear the hairstyles or use the heat appliances that you used to and you have to learn to be OK with this decision.

I always ask myself if this action (ex. hairstyle, heat, color, etc.) is moving me closer to healthier hair?

Deep conditioning, con washes, moisturizing, sealing, finger detangling and baggying get a big YES in my opinion. While weaves, extension braids, brushing, color or perming gets a big NO for my hair.

Be patient with your hair- just like weight loss - quick fixes usually don't last unless you get to the root of the problem and make some fundamental changes.

Good luck, Curli

Thank you all for your comments and support. I wanna get my ends trimmed asap. Keep em' comin ladies, im like a sponge obsorbing everything.

heyyy welcome!!!

there is hope for all of us girl!! you just have to have patience!!! that is the hardest part of all. through some trial and error you will find a good regimine and be well on your way. my hair used to be sooo messed up as a result of iorning it with a real iron everyday!! check out this link and it will driect you to the thread where u can check out my slide show. its all only after ebing here for only one year! you can do it just takes time and lots of patience:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=151559

I agree with the other ladies that a good trim will put you in the right place to begin your healthy hair journey. There's no sense starting with a shaky foundation only to make it so far and have to cut off all your progress when the damage catches back up with you.

That said, I really feel that maintaining a good moisture/protein balance is the key to getting damaged hair back on track. Deep condition frequently and 'listen' to your hair as to whether you need more protein or more moisture. Experiment for a little while and find a solid arsenal of products that work well with your hair. Before you know it, your hair will start listening to YOU and rewarding you with length and health for all your hard work. :yep:

It's easy to get discouraged, but the ladies on this forum are proof that dedication can get you to your goals. Nobody here went to sleep and woke up with perfect hair (ummm, if you did, pm me :lachen:)... but anything worth having is worth working for, right? <<HUGS>>

What seems to be the biggest problems that your hair is experiencing? Breakage, dryness...?

I can't deal well with underprocessed hair, not if it's excessive. First of all, I would recommend you stop relaxing your own hair if you find it's consistently turning out underprocessed.

Keep your chin up. I was going through hair hell around this same time last year, now it's a full turn around. You just have to keep in there, dedicate yourself to a routine, be gentle with your hair and find the perfect balance of products for your hair. Retaining length should be the biggest goal, hair grows, the ends just tend to break off.

I would start with an analysis of your strands. Test a strand and see if it breaks easily or if it stretches. If it stretches too much, you need to lay low on the protein. This should help determine what you are in immediate need of.

Like others suggested, it's difficult, but a good trim or shape-up as I like to call them to rid yourself of uneven, split or damaged ends. I find it is soo much easier to grow out my hair when its trimmed into a shape (if that makes sense). When I see stringy, damaged, uneven ends, it depresses me more than seeing my hair shorter (i guess it's a personal preference).

As suggested on the board, a great way to balance protein and moisture is pre proo with protein, wash, then deep condition with moisture. Try quality products, avoid cons, sulfates and etc and remain consistant with your regimen.

ITA with all the ladies. Be patient, because i too joined LHCF with damaged hair. I have come a long way, you just have to be patient and hang in there. I highly recommend deep conditionng atleast once a week amongst what everyone else suggested. In due time you will see a difference. When you need encouragement, advice, and motivation let us know cause that's what we're here for to help one another. Good luck on your hair journey, i know you'll do well!

Back