NEED HELP!fed up of this hair! ! really!

coolsista-paris

hello to all,its been a long time! here is my probleme

ive tried:

- twists : i love them but end up with knots, so i tried

-individual extension braids: its ok BUT when i see the roots have grown, the hair seems to be at the same place all the time, as it sticks out of the braids im wonderin, is it breakin?? so..

- i tried braiding my own hair: NEVER AGAIN! disaster to me, i hated it, taking my hair out was bad i ended up breaking it, cutting those knots..so angry!

so this week: i did a weave, its already itching like hell and i feel like i cant moisturize it!!

the thing i did once that was not bad: crochet braids,i'll try it again in a month or 2.

PLEASE TELL ME: what other way can i retain growth getting rid of these single strand knots?? My hair is natural....

SHOUL I: start straightening it?? i mean any way but not with a relaxer?? maybe this will help me get past my actual length that ive been stuck on for long!!!!!

thanks a lot, im just so pissed that i feel like chopping it and starting all over again! i mean it, i dont know why but my anger makes wanna do it ..but then i try calming down.

you know ladies,this is a bad feeling..;upset .

Try sealing your ends with something heavy like a natural butter (shea, coco, avocado etc..) or..vaseline if you're not against using petroleum. :look: Style wise, you could try buns/updo‘s, wigs and/or rollersetting+flat ironing your hair instead of wearing extensions.

~HTH~

You could try blowing you hair out by using a blow dryer and then style it. I am a little confused as to how twist can end up leaving knots in your hair.

My hair always gets little knots at the end also. I treat it like very curly 4a/b, but sometimes not sure what type it is actually. I love my curls and I don't comb it or manipulate it when I wear it curly, but I am stuck also in the growth department and now I am doing my own little challenge of braids (extensions), alternating it with blowing it out and flat iron (in a bun). It grew very well like that before, so I am doing it again for the next 6-7 months. I also reduced the co-washing, was doing it every day, maybe too much handling (can't help it in the summer, swimming, sweating, etc).

thanks a lot for answering ladies.

-I do seal a lot with oils (avocado,coconut, castor,etc...)

-Concerning twists: its the ends that end up in little tiny knots,when you undo its just so hard to take out that you end up breaking it. The only way to do it is wet the hair before + seal with oil those ends, less breakage but some knots are just ruff! and don't go...

- I tried blow drying my hair once: WOW it was big and i didnt know what to do with it. I need to buy another flat iron. mine is crap! i will hell not use it.

I cannot blow dry with the typical one, my hair comes out like an afro, so I have to use the comb version, currently Andis, easier to find the combs when they break (only use the wide one). Invest in the expensive flat irons, worth it. I have Baby Bliss, but from what I read, Chi is good also.

@ AICRMPHOTO: me too when i blow dry it becomes so big! also like and afro and impossible to attach it as its got more volume. I need to buy one with a comb. Concerning the flat iron i want to buy an expensive one to make sure its good but even thought its expensive willl it work on me? I was gonna buy the babyliss steam pro 230. its a red one. I like it but don't know if that will work on me. and will ot break my hair if i try to flat iron? when i wwas young they used to hot comb my hair but it was still long and growing.

Sorry took so long to answer! I have the Baby Bliss Pro, black, porcelain ceramic. Has adjustable temp. It will probably work because you set the temp and you control what protectant. Whatever you use, use it sparingly so you hair won't be greasy or overloaded. You can always add a little more, but you have to start all over if you add to much. Fantasia (the pink one) works for me, so does Chi. You can also go old school and use Dudley or Utlra Sheen press, but SPARINGLY!!

-individual extension braids: its ok BUT when i see the roots have grown, the hair seems to be at the same place all the time, as it sticks out of the braids im wonderin, is it breakin??

Not sure I follow. How long do you keep the extension braids in? You say hair seems to be at the same place. How did you determine that?

I know if you're constantly checking for progress, you will not see it. A watched pot never boils. Do you ever dust? I know from my own experience, wearing braid extensions helps me see progress, but not if I'm not dusting regularly.

- twists : i love them but end up with knots
Ok, so to me this is sounds like a protein/moisture balance issue combined with proper detangling and sealing issues. As a natural that doesn't use direct heat, with ssk's I have noticed that when my hair hasn't been properly moisturized balanced with protein, detangled GENTLY and well, this is where the knots in abundance come from. Growing longer hair requires MUCH, MUCH more patience and gentlness in general IMHO. I make sure to dc weekly ( ESPECIALLY in the winter months ) allow my hair to have MOISTURE ie WATER every 3 days as well, whether I rinse in the shower or spritz with water. My hair needs that. You can try the kimmaytube leave in, which is great for ends and sealing in moisture since it's pH balanced and you put it on damp/wet hair to seal in all that goodness :)
YouTube - ♡♡♡LUVNaturals #19 Leave In Conditioner Recipe - Step by Step

-individual extension braids: its ok BUT when i see the roots have grown, the hair seems to be at the same place all the time, as it sticks out of the braids im wonderin, is it breakin??
I have braided up my hair with extensions off and on for about 18yrs. IMHO, this sounds like a technique issue. If when you start the braid, your extension hair isn't split into equal parts, then your real hair can stick out, showing after a wash/condition session........

- i tried braiding my own hair: NEVER AGAIN! disaster to me, i hated it, taking my hair out was bad i ended up breaking it, cutting those knots..so angry!
individuals on your own hair is different on everyone. I didn't like the look at first, but I tried parting with the "diamond" method, and the braids ( without extensions ) laid down much better. I really like them alot! It's just the take down that is forever! :D

PLEASE TELL ME: what other way can i retain growth getting rid of these single strand knots?? My hair is natural....

Refer back to my first answer.

In addition, I also do s&d missions ( search and destroys ) on the ssk's as needed. Plus if I encounter a knot, I use the chicoro method to remove it. I put a little oil on my fingers and try to remove as much of the hair out of the knot as possible. Once I have gotten most of the hair out, I then get the rest of the knot out with a pin. VERY TIME CONSUMING but worth it for me as I am retaining most of the hair that I am growing, learning how to be more gentle with the hair that I have, since the ends are the oldest and need extra, extra special attention....

SHOUL I: start straightening it?? i mean any way but not with a relaxer?? maybe this will help me get past my actual length that ive been stuck on for long!!!!!

For me, length retention has been about the following: LISTENING TO WHAT MY HAIR LIKES AND DOESN'T LIKE, being GENTLE with my hair, and if I notice that I am getting frustrated, leave it alone and come back to it once I am calmed down, getting my routine for summer and winter tweaked as needed, ie. oiling ( water + coconut oil + finger detangling overnight prior to shampooing ) then with the oil still in the hair, using cheap conditioner to detangle with a modified denman, NOW shampooing with chicoro method, making sure to properly cleanse my scalp and hair, follow up with dc or protein then dc depending on what my hair needs. This is always done with steam or heat cap depending on what I am doing.

The whole time, washing, conditioning, detangling in sections so I don't have to keep manipulating my hair, thus cutting down on the chance of breakage from over manipulation. Then adding my leave-in while hair is damp or wet, and airdrying still in sections that are braided back up to stretch it. Once air dried, I then begin twisting or braiding without extensions. I do this weekly. Just keeping my scalp clean and hair moistuized has helped me in retaining maximum length. I have cut my hair multiple times due to wanting to get rid of color, and with this method, I retain a lot of my growth ( since my hair growth is slow ) and it really makes a difference.

You have to decide IMHO, if you want long hair that you are willing to put in the time it takes to sustain that growth.....
grin.gif
You can always check out youtube naturals glamazini and kimmaytube to SEE how they are handling their chemical & heat free hair to give you an idea of how gently it should be done, for maximum length retention.....Plus Chicoro's book grow it, and grow afro hair long website may help you on your journey. Good luck, hth!

I feel your pain I have done everything to eliminate ssk's. I have done oiling with heavy of the heaviest oils, buns, always stretched in twist, major trims and I get them. IMO, over time they can hinder lenght and I do realize that it its part of the hair texture. Recently I find myself cutting off more and more. This week I will be airdrying and flat ironing I love my curls I really do but I need a break for now. My hair is in layers and the longest is bra strap lenght I want to keep it that way which I feel I cannot if I constantly have to keep cutting knots.

Back