Need Help - Escaping A Spouse During A Pandemic

I feel the same about AZ. But I am assuming that Transformer has been there so maybe she has some good ideas about what she wants to do. But my aunt and uncle have a home there and a home somewhere else. They haven't been to their home in AZ since the pandemic. They said the people there don't take mask wearing seriously. And I've only had the idea of it being ridiculously conservative.

I’m curious as to how Op feels “too black” in Barbados and Puerto Rico, but not in Arizona.

I’m not surprised they aren’t wearing masks. AZ would have went to Trump if he hadn’t disrespected their King McCain.

IIRC, Op hates Hawaii.

You remember! Yep, lived there also. Was living there on 9/11. I rotated soon afterwards and promised myself that I was never going back. Violated that promise by having to go for work related trip in 2005—my company wanted someone who knew the clients and the mission. Hubby has been back at least 7 times since then, but I refuse to go.

I’m curious as to how Op feels “too black” in Barbados and Puerto Rico, but not in Arizona.

I’m not surprised they aren’t wearing masks. AZ would have went to Trump if he hadn’t disrespected their King McCain.
Can't speak on what OP meant but some exoticals are really invested in not being black. I can see feeling "too black" in comparison. White people, for the most part, don't make me feel anything but unseen or misunderstood.

Can't speak on what OP meant but some exoticals are really invested in not being black. I can see feeling "too black" in comparison. White people, for the most part, don't make me feel anything but unseen or misunderstood.

For me it is about expectations. When I visit a country as a tourist, I hate to sense that my money is Black and not green. The retailers/resort workers act like personal aides to white folks but not you even when you have demonstrated you tip very well. This is the treatment I’ve received in PR. Never been to Barbados. I’ve had a number of co-workers from Barbados which left a less than favorable impression of the island on me—-American whites good, American Blacks should be thankful they are allowed on the island.

Before you do any or all of this, consult a divorce attorney about "willful desertion" , "criminal abandonment" and "constructive abandonment" marital laws in your state because you might come back in six months to a situation you didn't anticipate. Run the whole plan by a divorce lawyer.

You and me seemed to have butted heads in the last year and I'm sorry for my part in that. I wish you well and the best outcome for yourself.

Salt Lake City is really nice.

That was good advice. I haven't finished reading the whole thread. So far, I'm unclear if she wants a divorce of if she wants to get away for a little while. If my husband wanted to do that, we might as well divorce.

I loved Barbados and didn’t feel “too black”. I guess it depends on your accommodations. How about Marco Island in Florida. Great retirement community there.

All my life since I was 4 years old I’ve had responsibilities and stress. Married young. I now feel the need to clear my head and view life as an adult without constraints or input from a spouse. I need ideals and suggestions on the best place to lay low for six month while staying safe during a pandemic. So here are my requirements.

—Escape to start in April (After Grandkids Leave)
—-Location accessible to high technology medical care
—Warm, sunshiny weather
—Avoid heavy concentration of Trumpsters, Qanon, and Proud Boy types
—Low Crime Rate - I will be alone.
—Vacation Rental for six months
-Willing to travel long distances but can’t be a country the US restricts entry.
—Australia/New Zealand is a no go.
The triangle area in North Carolina, I think it meets your requirements and would probably be an easy transition. Unless you currently live there

Last edited:
@Transformer - How are the plans going? Have you picked a place?
Yep. A few weeks ago I flew to Phoenix for a couple days...drove around The surrounding area. Next drove to Myrtle Beach and stayed for six days. Picked Myrtle Beach....found a place and contracted for it. Two days ago, an issue developed which will delay my departure.

Last edited:
I personally love Trinidad. My other choices would be Guam and Southern California :)

Girl, Guam is in the middle of the Pacific/Indian Ocean and is hot as hell. After driving around the ENTIRE island in one hour there’s really nothing left to do but monitor the weather. Plus they have to evacuate folks with serious medical issues off the island. If I has a choice of Okinawa and Guam, I would choose Okinawa every time.

Girl, Guam is in the middle of the Pacific/Indian Ocean and is hot as hell. After driving around the ENTIRE island in one hour there’s really nothing left to do but monitor the weather. Plus they have to evacuate folks with serious medical issues off the island. If I has a choice of Okinawa and Guam, I would choose Okinawa every time.
I like the hot stuff :p but I hope you're not delayed too much longer.

Back