Need Help - Escaping A Spouse During A Pandemic

I haven't really been anywhere in my life (It's a shame), but I have been trying to think of places for you.

What about Seattle? How important is this sunny/warmish weather to you? The landscape there is so nice. You can be at the beach, in the mountains, in the city, in the country, in a forest...there are so many places to visit. And I've always felt safe when I was there. It's more of a progressive city. My aunt had breast cancer and lived in Seattle. She raves about the medical care that she received. She loved it so much that she and her husband donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to set up a peer-to-peer program for newly diagnosed women. It's touristy so you can do that if you want...

I haven't really been anywhere in my life (It's a shame), but I have been trying to think of places for you.

What about Seattle? How important is this sunny/warmish weather to you? The landscape there is so nice. You can be at the beach, in the mountains, in the city, in the country, in a forest...there are so many places to visit. And I've always felt safe when I was there. It's more of a progressive city. My aunt had breast cancer and lived in Seattle. She raves about the medical care that she received. She loved it so much that she and her husband donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to set up a peer-to-peer program for newly diagnosed women. It's touristy so you can do that if you want...

Sunshine and warmth is a very important criteria. I’m also an outdoorsy exercise type.

Singapore is great, if you are willing to travel that far.

I don't find it that expensive, compared to major US cities. The healthcare is great and if you have Cigna global insurance you will be fine, and the healthcare is also 1/3 to 1/2 of what it is in the US and comparable service, in-patient, out-patient, cosmetic, etc. Great service.

Man-made beaches, but close proximity to Bali, Thailand, and other places with great beaches. Also, minimal bugs. I hate bugs and SG was a dream for me.

Singapore is great, if you are willing to travel that far.

I don't find it that expensive, compared to major US cities. The healthcare is great and if you have Cigna global insurance you will be fine, and the healthcare is also 1/3 to 1/2 of what it is in the US and comparable service, in-patient, out-patient, cosmetic, etc. Great service.

Man-made beaches, but close proximity to Bali, Thailand, and other places with great beaches. Also, minimal bugs. I hate bugs and SG was a dream for me.

Yep, been there and enjoyed it. I did place it on me list but concerned about US re entry due to COVID variants and who knows what will happen. Right now Scottsdale or surrounding area is looking pretty good.

Here’s an idea that’s slightly different than what you planned: how about you do 6 months of traveling and doing a healing pilgrimage of sorts, “Eat, pray, love” style? You can go to as many or as few locations as you want and you’ll get to decide how long you stay in each locale.
I love this idea but I personally wouldn’t feel comfortable being a nomad in a pandemic. I’m sure with the right accommodations my mind would change.

Here’s an idea that’s slightly different than what you planned: how about you do 6 months of traveling and doing a healing pilgrimage of sorts, “Eat, pray, love” style? You can go to as many or as few locations as you want and you’ll get to decide how long you stay in each locale.
I love this idea but I personally wouldn’t feel comfortable being a nomad in a pandemic. I’m sure with the right accommodations my mind would change.
Yep, would love to do that and just get up and move when the spirit hits me.

BUT...Quarantine requirements for different countries/states make that too hectic. And the last thing I need is dealing with complex logistical issues.

Last edited:
I’m sure with the right accommodations my mind would change
Yep, would love to do that and just get up and move when the spirit hits me.

BUT...Quarantine requirements for different countries/states makes that too hectic. And the last thing I need is dealing with complex logistical issues.

That’s what it really comes down to. I say if you’re interested look into it anyway. You have nothing to lose just by looking. You might be surprised what you find...

Quarantine and civil unrest springing from it make staying in the U.S. the best option. Yeah those idiots rioting in the capital just made a mess but, there's places in the world that are going through govt changing civil unrest/protest so I vote don't go anywhere that requires a passport for a minute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sorry to hijack the thread but was anybody else like WTF is Myanmar? I was like I have never heard of this place in my life just to be like oh Burma said "New Phone Who Dis?" I remember when Yugoslavia became Serbia/Montegro but this Myanmar poo slipped under the radar for me.

Quarantine and civil unrest springing from it make staying in the U.S. the best option. Yeah those idiots rioting in the capital just made a mess but, there's places in the world that are going through govt changing civil unrest/protest so I vote don't go anywhere that requires a passport for a minute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sorry to hijack the thread but was anybody else like WTF is Myanmar? I was like I have never heard of this place in my life just to be like oh Burma said "New Phone Who Dis?" I remember when Yugoslavia became Serbia/Montegro but this Myanmar poo slipped under the radar for me.
I have a close friend from Burma/Myanmar. Not that it impacts me in any way, other than compassion, but Suu Kyi barely responded to the Rohingya genocide there and that reflected poorly. Now they are going through another coup and she's back on house arrest for the 50-11th time. But yes, with the unrest in places like Myanmar, and then the drama in Hong Kong, there are just a handful of places that are safe right now.

Did you see the video of the woman teaching a PE class while the army tanks were driving in to start the coup? So crazy.

What about San Juan, Puerto Rico? I love it there. I think it ticks all of your boxes. Plus It’s a US territory,
Idk about San Juan specifically but I remember hearing after the last major hurricane (Maria?) that the infrastructure in PR was desperately in need of major work. Aside from the last administration's neglect, it came out that the infrastructure was already lacking and traditional relief funds would only put it back to where it was before instead of providing support that was overdue. It was basically putting a bandaid on a broken system but the hurricane demolished several aspects of that broken system so even more money is needed to rebuild.

The link below is to a report created by the American Society of Civil Engineers 2 years ago. They gave the PR infrastructure a grade of D- and estimated that a $23 billion investment was needed over 10 years. I know Biden is freeing up the money the last president withheld but I'd wait until more is done.

Idk about San Juan specifically but I remember hearing after the last major hurricane (Maria?) that the infrastructure in PR was desperately in need of major work. Aside from the last administration's neglect, it came out that the infrastructure was already lacking and traditional relief funds would only put it back to where it was before instead of providing support that was overdue. It was basically putting a bandaid on a broken system but the hurricane demolished several aspects of that broken system so even more money is needed to rebuild.

The link below is to a report created by the American Society of Civil Engineers 2 years ago. They gave the PR infrastructure a grade of D- and estimated that a $23 billion investment was needed over 10 years. I know Biden is freeing up the money the last president withheld but I'd wait until more is done.

San Juan/Old San Juan is fine. I have been there since the trio of hurricanes hit, and it was the same as before. If you want to stay in remote or more rural parts of the country, it may be a different story. But I think that can be said for many, if not all of the islands of the Caribbean.

BTW, the United States infrastructure grade is a D+. And 3.6 trillion was needed by 2020 (which we know didn’t happen). Only the wealthier countries have good infrastructure reports.

San Juan/Old San Juan is fine. I have been there since the trio of hurricanes hit, and it was the same as before. If you want to stay in remote or more rural parts of the country, it may be a different story. But I think that can be said for many, if not all of the islands of the Caribbean.

BTW, the United States infrastructure grade is a D+. And 3.6 trillion was needed by 2020 (which we know didn’t happen). Only the wealthier countries have good infrastructure reports.
That’s good to know for perspective. Obviously first hand knowledge tops everything else.

Do you know about healthcare there? I'm feeling so invested in this for @Transformer.

Any more thoughts about places @Transformer? Are you still thinking Scottsdale? You are going to need a good FaceTime or Zoom schedule to talk to those grandbabies of yours.

Yep, right now nothing has knocked it off the #1 slot.

Yes, the time zone will be challenging. One is in my bed right now. I have a mattress warmer and he loves it. Will take he to his room soon. My grandmother did the same thing.

Oh, oops! I didn't realize it was possible to hate Hawaii, lol. When I think Scottsdale, AZ, I think conservative white folk and a barren landscape. My brother lived there for a little while. Different strokes for different folks!

:lol: I enjoyed HI, but I can honestly see how it wouldn’t be some people’s cup of tea.

I agree about AZ. Unless I was going to an actual spa retreat, I’d feel like I was being punished if I had to spend 6 months in Scottsdale. It’s a conservative, historically red state. Plenty of Proud Boys, etc.

I’m curious to know too. From my experience They can be colour struck. Of all the black English speaking islands some of the people of “Little Britain” are still very much hung up on skin shade (lighter is better) the most. I have family who are Bajan and know loads. JMO though...
What do you mean by too black for Barbados?

Niagara on the Lake is beautiful and I am sure we will be out of lockdown by April. But it’s still quite chilly in April.

Last edited:
:lol: I enjoyed HI, but I can honestly see how it wouldn’t be some people’s cup of tea.

I agree about AZ. Unless I was going to an actual spa retreat, I’d feel like I was being punished if I had to spend 6 months in Scottsdale. It’s a conservative, historically red state. Plenty of Proud Boys, etc.
I feel the same about AZ. But I am assuming that Transformer has been there so maybe she has some good ideas about what she wants to do. But my aunt and uncle have a home there and a home somewhere else. They haven't been to their home in AZ since the pandemic. They said the people there don't take mask wearing seriously. And I've only had the idea of it being ridiculously conservative.

Back