Need help ASAP with Shedding/breakage

Geminigirl

I can't believe I just noticed my hair looks a HAM. UGH. I am so trying not to cry. I took down my twists today to re-twist and ewww. More breakage. I am so upset. Every time I touch my hair or a twist strands of my hair come off. The breakage is apparent and my hair is so much thinner. I kept telling myself to twist it back up and that will help but nope my hair is in terrible condition and I don't know why.

I don't really have a solid regimen. I try to leave my hair alone as much as possible by PS. I DC on dry hair with DPR-11, but I ran out and tried this La Bomba stuff but my hair was breaking before this.

Then I cowash with anything.... Then I twist. Lately I have been using shealoe which I love on my hair. I just don't know, I take Chollera, Spirulina, Saw Palmetto, Evening Primrose, and Royal Jelly. Only new addition is the SP, but my hair was shedding and breaking before this. Also I am not consistant with these vitamins.

My hair has seriously fell out. I can't believe it took til now to figure this out. I'm so upset!:sad: I can't even think straight right now. I am natural...type 4. Anything I can do right now to help with the shedding and breakage. I am sitting here with La bomba and Alma oil on my hair now...just thinking.

Last summer my hair was nowhere near this thin. I would massage daily with oils and also cowash daily. I'd baggy with my oils overnight after the massage, my hair was thick, strong, and not so tangled. Now it's thin, fragile, fine, knotted up and split. Someone please help.:sad:

ETA: OH I forgot to add i haven't been so nice to my hair. Especially after gaining the length. I do believe this has something to do with blowdrying and my hair just said *** me when I flatironed the other day. It's been falling out non stop. I can't believe this.

ETA2-My ex just reminded me I have been stressed lately. Very true. I take good care of my hair for the most part. I keep it clean and moisturized. I can't believe this is what I have to show. I just don't understand how this is happening.

Last edited:
what?? flat iron? and blow drying? those are the things you MUST STOP! you already know what moisturizers to use. just do a protein treatment, and use those moisturizers. you should be fine

I was going to suggest the same thing, it sounds like some protein is in order. Perhaps an Aphogee treatment, the 2 minute reconstructor and a protein leave-in with a moisturizer so that you don't overdo it.

i feel your pain............. question, are you seeing alot of hair in your comb and in the sink? or do you just see chucks of hair missing from your head?

i feel your pain............. question, are you seeing alot of hair in your comb and in the sink? or do you just see chucks of hair missing from your head?

Both girl, BOTH:sad:! Everytime I comb long hair and some short hairs come out. When I finger comb and braid twist when I get to the end of my hair it snags and then strands of hair come out of the end of the twist. I don't know if I am explaining this right but my hair is coming out. I also see the breakage throughtout my hair. My hair is extremely fine now and almost a different texture, plus it's way too light.

I have some of that Aphogee 2 min left over from my relaxed days should I wash with that now. I get paid tomorrow but won't be able to buy hair products until Thursday, should I get the Aphoogee 2 step?

I have def stopped blowdrying and flat ironing. I have been stretching my hair by braiding it in plaits after washing and airdrying and then twisting, but my hair is still breaking/shedding.

Both girl, BOTH:sad:! Everytime I comb long hair and some short hairs come out. When I finger comb and braid twist when I get to the end of my hair it snags and then strands of hair come out of the end of the twist. I don't know if I am explaining this right but my hair is coming out. I also see the breakage throughtout my hair. My hair is extremely fine now and almost a different texture, plus it's way too light.

I have some of that Aphogee 2 min left over from my relaxed days should I wash with that now. I get paid tomorrow but won't be able to buy hair products until Thursday, should I get the Aphoogee 2 step?

I have def stopped blowdrying and flat ironing. I have been stretching my hair by braiding it in plaits after washing and airdrying and then twisting, but my hair is still breaking/shedding.

hell yea, crack that 2 step opeenn!!!! put in on your dry hair and sit with a plastic cap right now!!

and hair comes out the bottome of my twists too, but its shed hair with the white bolb and thers only maybe one or two.

please do the DC with the 2step

Geminigirl your hair is so pretty! Don't worry! :bighug: In the pics from earlier this month of your flat iron/blow out your hair doesn't look thin. Not at all! I can show you what thin hair really looks like :sad: Try a protein treatment, keep it moisturized and STOP STRESSING :grin:

I'd take pics to show ya'll but I'm sad.

Adora my hair is wet right now from washing tonight. Should I do this tomorrow on my hair?

I can't believe I just noticed my hair looks a HAM. UGH. I am so trying not to cry. I took down my twists today to re-twist and ewww. More breakage. I am so upset. Every time I touch my hair or a twist strands of my hair come off. The breakage is apparent and my hair is so much thinner. I kept telling myself to twist it back up and that will help but nope my hair is in terrible condition and I don't know why.

I don't really have a solid regimen. I try to leave my hair alone as much as possible by PS. I DC on dry hair with DPR-11, but I ran out and tried this La Bomba stuff but my hair was breaking before this.

Then I cowash with anything.... Then I twist. Lately I have been using shealoe which I love on my hair. I just don't know, I take Chollera, Spirulina, Saw Palmetto, Evening Primrose, and Royal Jelly. Only new addition is the SP, but my hair was shedding and breaking before this. Also I am not consistant with these vitamins.

My hair has seriously fell out. I can't believe it took til now to figure this out. I'm so upset!:sad: I can't even think straight right now. I am natural...type 4. Anything I can do right now to help with the shedding and breakage. I am sitting here with La bomba and Alma oil on my hair now...just thinking.

Last summer my hair was nowhere near this thin. I would massage daily with oils and also cowash daily. I'd baggy with my oils overnight after the massage, my hair was thick, strong, and not so tangled. Now it's thin, fragile, fine, knotted up and split. Someone please help.:sad:

ETA: OH I forgot to add i haven't been so nice to my hair. Especially after gaining the length. I do believe this has something to do with blowdrying and my hair just said *** me when I flatironed the other day. It's been falling out non stop. I can't believe this.

ETA2-My ex just reminded me I have been stressed lately. Very true. I take good care of my hair for the most part. I keep it clean and moisturized. I can't believe this is what I have to show. I just don't understand how this is happening.

Hey girl....you mentioned that you DC on dry hair, do you co-wash after or shampoo? I know some ladies DC on dry hair and shampoo after to save time, but if I did that it would reverse the effects of the DC. Try shampooing first and DC'ing on damp hair....

btw I looked at your fotki pics and your hair looks good

hell yea, crack that 2 step opeenn!!!! put in on your dry hair and sit with a plastic cap right now!!

and hair comes out the bottome of my twists too, but its shed hair with the white bolb and thers only maybe one or two.

please do the DC with the 2step

...and also Aphogee two-step is great if you need protein...dry hair with a plastic cap?

I've never heard about doing it like that...It's more effective without a shower cap under a hooded dryer until it's rock hard.

Just curious are you talking about the 2min? If not, how does that work for you (do you think that makes it a milder protein treatment and do you do it more often than 6 weeks)?

Awww mama I'm in ya boat...lol I've been fighting with this issue since FEB.. My culprit.. that damn maxiglide...LOL..needless to say in august or sept when I straighten my hair again i'll be eliminating the blow dryer..using a lower setting and eliminate the use of the steam button (or just buy a new flat iron :rolleyes: ) ... anywho what I did on sunday was Aphogee 2 step protien treatment and DC'd with NTM deep recovery mask..and used some porosity control as a final rinse .... I only applied HE LTR and Ego boost to my hair and sealed with oil... Monday as I did my hair I noticed minimum breakage.. I also went and got a serious trim.... so i'm hoping this problem gets resolved.... Hang in there ma :bighug: i'm here if ya need support..cause I know how frustrating this can be.. I was so tempted to tell the girl to chop it all off...lol

Ok I am going to just use the 2 min and rise out and let my hair dry. I will decided how to style tomorrow. I am picking up some Aphoghee 2 step and using it As soon as I can. I get off so late I haven't had time to love on my hair like I want to. My poor hair!

See if you look in my fotki and you see my attempt at banding you will notice my hair is thin. I should have way more ponytails then that and they should be way more full. From the beginning to the recent pics my hair has thinned out. It's just recently started becoming real bad and I think that has to do with stress. Wish I would have noticed sooner.

Awww mama I'm in ya boat...lol I've been fighting with this issue since FEB.. My culprit.. that damn maxiglide...LOL..needless to say in august or sept when I straighten my hair again i'll be eliminating the blow dryer..using a lower setting and eliminate the use of the steam button (or just buy a new flat iron :rolleyes: ) ... anywho what I did on sunday was Aphogee 2 step protien treatment and DC'd with NTM deep recovery mask..and used some porosity control as a final rinse .... I only applied HE LTR and Ego boost to my hair and sealed with oil... Monday as I did my hair I noticed minimum breakage.. I also went and got a serious trim.... so i'm hoping this problem gets resolved.... Hang in there ma :bighug: i'm here if ya need support..cause I know how frustrating this can be.. I was so tempted to tell the girl to chop it all off...lol
I feel the same way, I just want to take some scissors to mess. One thing I did learn about caring for my hair is it doesn't take much to bounce back, for me anyways. I hope in a few months to see a difference. I am going to start paying better attention to my hair.

I have porsity control, but my DC of choice is Dpr-11. I think I will try Aphogee's DC, that's good right?

Hey girl....you mentioned that you DC on dry hair, do you co-wash after or shampoo? I know some ladies DC on dry hair and shampoo after to save time, but if I did that it would reverse the effects of the DC. Try shampooing first and DC'ing on damp hair....

...and also Aphogee two-step is great if you need protein...dry hair with a plastic cap?

I've never heard about doing it like that...It's more effective without a shower cap under a hooded dryer until it's rock hard.

Just curious are you talking about the 2min? If not, how does that work for you (do you think that makes it a milder protein treatment and do you do it more often than 6 weeks)?

Yes I DC on dry hair. I don't poo often. I was thinking of completly eliminating poo and just using Bentonite clay for cleanising unless I really need to poo. I will start DC on damp hair.nAnyways when I DC I usually rinse out and the add a cheapie cowash condtioner in and detangle and style.

Just so you all know I did a henna treatment tonight. I didn't leave it on for as long as I usually do but next time I should be able to plan better. I just had to do something to get my hair back on track. Now I am sitting with the Aphogee 2min in my hair I am going to use my heating cap.

I think I may if I am not to tired, as it is almost 1 am here, twist my hair and on my next day off do the treatment. It all depends on my mood.

Yes I DC on dry hair. I don't poo often. I was thinking of completly eliminating poo and just using Bentonite clay for cleanising unless I really need to poo. I will start DC on damp hair.nAnyways when I DC I usually rinse out and the add a cheapie cowash condtioner in and detangle and style.

Oh okay, if you co-wash after DC'ing on dry hair is fine

im sorry, i got the two min and the two step mixed up. your right, it should get rock hard, no plastic cap needed. :yep: oh gosh if you put the cap on with that hard stuff, the cap would never come off!!!!!

^^^^LOL OK. I am going to have to pick some of the 2 step up and use it as soon as I can. In the mean time just baby my hair and leave it alone.

You are not alone, I'm type 4 who just got screwed over by heat. I flat ironed at the end of Jan. and every since then I've been getting breakage. I was freaked out at first but I'm over it. I figure this is my hair's way of saying, "beeyotch, this is what you get for messing with heat. *slap* And don't you ever do it again." and I deserve it. It thinned my hair out like crazy. I know I should have went for some hard protein as soon as it started but I was too scared. It's trailing off now so I'm just letting nature take it's course. Hey, whatever broke off will grow back.

You are not alone, I'm type 4 who just got screwed over by heat. I flat ironed at the end of Jan. and every since then I've been getting breakage. I was freaked out at first but I'm over it. I figure this is my hair's way of saying, "beeyotch, this is what you get for messing with heat. *slap* And don't you ever do it again." and I deserve it. It thinned my hair out like crazy. I know I should have went for some hard protein as soon as it started but I was too scared. It's trailing off now so I'm just letting nature take it's course. Hey, whatever broke off will grow back.

Wow your better than me. I feel like my hair slapped me and said the same thing lol. I feel so bad, my poor hair. I love it. I didn't even think about protein. I thought if I kept it moisturized it would get back on track. My hair has severley thinned out due to heat as well.

I know it will grow back, but I am wondering if I am going to have to cut. I wonder if I will make my goal of APL this year.

Also remember just one protein treatment won't do the trick. Incorporate more protein in your regimen for the next six weeks until you get the breakage under control. My hair was going through the same thing when I was using way too much moisture.

I thought my hair was going to end up looking like the Charlie Brown Christmas tree...

Hey GG.....just piggybacking off of "Truth"...Once you do your protein treatment - you will definitely need to follow up with deep moisturizing treatments that provide some sort of slip - and also - just to ascertain the extent of the damage - maybe do a light/low heat blowdry to determine if you will need to a therapeutic trim.

Also if you are able to steam in your DC - that would be even more beneficial

I can relate so much! My story is different, but basically in December 09 I noticed with horror that I went from having shoulder length hair to most of my hair being above chin length, and no.....no hair cut! It had all broken off. :( :perplexed Anyway, I feel as if I have come such a long way since Dec/Jan when I couldn't even get my hair up into a bun anymore (I need to daily for work). :nono: But now my hair is past chin length, and I feel like I owe it to swearing off stylists, relaxers, add on hair (I wasn't before, relying on stylist doing everything :rolleyes: from getting relaxers and add on hair), and deciding to start for the first time ever in my life looking after my own hair. Since I have started washing several times a week and without any heat on my hair, my hair has grown! It's past chin length now, and I can get all my hair up into a high sock bun! :grin: It's something so small to be giddy about, but compared to how it was by the beginning of this year, I'm so proud of myself! I feel like I've sampled so many products, lol. Some were really bad, especially ones I tried prior to paying attention to ingredients and what not. No more breakage for me!

Anyways, I just wanted to let you know I know how disheartening breakage can be. :nono: I definitely wanted to cry. I actually think I did a couple of times. :sad: But there is hope! I know that now after having to battle it firsthand, and I'm sure it's not over lol, but at least I know how to better deal with it. >.<

Last edited:
Back