Need advice for hair maintenance during workouts, for night time and air drying

darkphoenix81

Hello all,
I've been relaxer free for over a year now and I'm growing it out. My hair is shoulder length and I would say I have about 2 to 3 inches of natural hair (the rest being relaxed). I wash my hair every week and alternate between cowashing and shampooing. I do blow dry, but that's because I find it too cold to let my hair air dry naturally where I live (England). I do not straighten it simply because as I blow dry, I do not want to apply excess amounts of heat. So my hair is very much always in its purest natural state.

Right so here are my questions...

1st question
What’s the best way to maintain healthy hair during and after a workout?
I have just started working out (everyday) and my scalp just sweats. I can't imagine all that salty water is doing my hair much good. When I finish working out my hair frizzes, really badly and it just stays like that until I wash and blow dry it again. I still moisturise and seal before bed, but should I still be doing that over sweat (of course my hair has dried by then).

Are there any styles that you could recommend I use for working out, maybe to minimise the effect the sweat has on my hair or is there anything I can do to my hair afterwards?

2nd question
What is the best way to style my hair at night?
As my hair is not straightened, I just plait it and place a satin durag over it (satin side to my hair) and go to bed. It’s impossible to wrap because of my curly roots.

3rd question
What’s the best way to air dry hair when living in a cold climate?
I know heat is not good, but I do use a heat protectant.

Thank you in advance.

You should check out the transitioning without bc support thread. There is a lot of good info in that thread. When I transitioned I wore a lot of braided and twisted styles and when I worked out I always wore a scarf and would change the scarf if if got to wet and it would be dry by morning most off the time. If my hair was loos and not dry by morning I would just pull back in a ponytail. Now that I'm fully natural its a lot easier I just wAsh it when I come home from gym I wear wash n goes predominantly.

Last edited:
I work out every day and still only wash my hair twice a week. I wear my hair in twistouts and work out either in the morning or at night so I simply pin the two or 4 twists that I sleep in out of my way and work out. By the time I shower and get ready (if I worked out in the morning) my hair is dry and I always moisturize and seal at night no matter what. If I'm going to work out at night I moisturize, seal, twist, pin, and head to the gym.

Hello all, I've been relaxer free for over a year now and I'm growing it out. My hair is shoulder length and I would say I have about 2 to 3 inches of natural hair (the rest being relaxed). I wash my hair every week and alternate between cowashing and shampooing. I do blow dry, but that's because I find it too cold to let my hair air dry naturally where I live (England). I do not straighten it simply because as I blow dry, I do not want to apply excess amounts of heat. So my hair is very much always in its purest natural state. Right so here are my questions... 1st question What’s the best way to maintain healthy hair during and after a workout? I have just started working out (everyday) and my scalp just sweats. I can't imagine all that salty water is doing my hair much good. When I finish working out my hair frizzes, really badly and it just stays like that until I wash and blow dry it again. I still moisturise and seal before bed, but should I still be doing that over sweat (of course my hair has dried by then). Are there any styles that you could recommend I use for working out, maybe to minimise the effect the sweat has on my hair or is there anything I can do to my hair afterwards? 2nd question What is the best way to style my hair at night? As my hair is not straightened, I just plait it and place a satin durag over it (satin side to my hair) and go to bed. It’s impossible to wrap because of my curly roots. 3rd question What’s the best way to air dry hair when living in a cold climate? I know heat is not good, but I do use a heat protectant. Thank you in advance.
I would get braids or end the transition. Check out the transition thread.

1. You can cowash after workouts
2. Wear plaits to bed
3. Dry your hair under a bonnet dryer on low heat

Have you ever thought about wearing wigs as a protective style?

I would get braids. I have a sweaty scalp as well, and I find that this works for me. I can spray my scalp regularly (daily) and do a apple cider vinegar wash and rinse as needed (often weekly). I also cowash my braids.

I did this all of October (first time with braids in a while).

Before that, I used to cowash midweek and do a proper wash on the weekends. Didn't feel like it was enough though

1. You can cowash after workouts
2. Wear plaits to bed
3. Dry your hair under a bonnet dryer on low heat

Have you ever thought about wearing wigs as a protective style?

Thank you for your reply. But I could never workout or even just go out with a wig. I would just pass out from the heat my head produces. :perplexed

I workout every day. And I co wash almost every day.

When I was transitioning (almost two years) ...I co washed and applied my gels and leave ins in the shower with my hair soaking wet with water.

I wear a tshirt on the ponytail until I leave the house.

My sister prefers her hair to be dry so she sits under a bonnet dryer for a few minutes before she leaves the house. This is less direct than a diffuser but still gets the hair dry. A diffuser is also a good option.

If u prefer not to co wash daily, I would suggest tying your hair down with a scarf after your workout and leaving it on until your hair dries. I have tried tying my hair during the workout but I sweat too much. I need my hair to be exposed to the sweat can escape.

I can't maintain a "style" like twists. for me that never works. I sweat them right out.

Now that it's cold I can workout in two pocahontas plaits and then slap a wig on after the workout. In the summer it's too hot for that.

You should check out the transitioning without bc support thread. There is a lot of good info in that thread. When I transitioned I wore a lot of braided and twisted styles and when I worked out I always wore a scarf and would change the scarf if if got to wet and it would be dry by morning most off the time. If my hair was loos and not dry by morning I would just pull back in a ponytail. Now that I'm fully natural its a lot easier I just wAsh it when I come home from gym I wear wash n goes predominantly.

^^ I agree. Now that I'm fully natural it's a lot easier than managing two textures and sweat.

I too suggest that you Check out the transition thread.

Also check out naptural85 on YouTube. She has all kinds of styles and she also works out. She has been on for awhile so her hair styles are in all stages from twa to very long.

Back