Need Advice fast...appointment tomorrow!

RabiaElaine

Hi Ladies,
I have a few quick questions. I will be getting a touch-up for the first time in five months since my hair has been in braids for 3 months. Yesterday when I was removing the braids, I used African Pride Braid & Weave Ease Out Spray to help remove the braids without losing to much hair. It worked very little hair came out and my hair was soft. I thought of something last night, I've heard hair should never be washed close to the time it is going to be relaxed.
Now although I didn't wash my hair the spray does have water in it. Does anyone think that I will have problems tomorrow with my touch up? I had a friend really base my scalp today so that it will be ready tomorrow, she used Dudleys Hair and Scalp conditioner with vitamin a, d, &e. Some of it is in my hair too just as a protectant. Did I do the right thing, or will my hair fall out tomorrow? Help please!!!!!!!!!!!

I admittedly don't wear braids really often RabiaElaine but I when I do I wash my hair and condition it well so that any shedding or whatever I'm going to experience after the braids gets a chance to ahppen before the relaxer. I like to wash and condition and treat my scalp at least ONCE after braids especially because I haven't had the opportunity to condition my hair properly in months.

The idea of relaxing hair freshly removed from braids that hasn't been washed or conditioned just makes me nervous (I have visions of tangling and knots and burning scalp that just freak me out!) . But if you wear braids frequently and this is your normal routine (or is the routine of people who do wear braids routinely and then relax) then by all means - stick to it!

Hi Tracy,
Actually I've done it before. However, the last time I did it I was texturizing my hair, so the relaxer was only in for 7 minutes or so. I generally don't burn very much, so I'm not really worried about that. I would like to give my hair some time between braids and relaxers, however because of my very coarse texture, there isn't much I can do to my hair when it is half relaxed and half natural. I feel if I leave any time in between I will have more breakage because of the complete difference in textures. Thanks for the advice though, and anymore advice is definitely welcome.
wink.gif

I also don't have much experience with braids but I have a friend who took her braids out about a month ago and relaxed her hair the next day, and boy was she SORRY!! She said everything went fine up until the comb-out after deep conditioning. She lost a whole lot of hair and ended up having to trim about 4 inches off!!
crazy.gif
Her hair was below bra-strap length when she started out. Also, her hair is color treated, so it's possible that made it weaker and that could be why she got so much breakage.
confused.gif

If at all possible, just to be safe, I think you should wait at least a week before you relax it. I would shampoo and deep condition AT LEAST once before putting a relaxer in. Surely you can deal with the new growth for just a week! Just wear it up.
smile.gif

Well I personally would never advise someone to get a relaxer the day after taking out braids. Although it does work for some people you are taking a risk by doing this. Although I do understand the limits to working with two different textures. The best advice I can give is to make the stylist aware of the situation so that they can treat your hair accordingly.

Good Luck and I wish you the best for 2morrow! It seems as though you took the correct precautions.

Drea84
cool.gif

i'm more concerned about whether your hair is really detangled vs. washing the day before. i've washed right before getting a relaxer. it didn't really give me any more problems than my scalp usually does, but i definitely don't recommend that as a general practice. just make sure your hair is really detangled before you go in!!!

Back